Bandai's Perfect Grade RX-78 GP-01+(fb)

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

Fokker

Bandai's Perfect Grade RX-78 GP-01+(fb)

Post by Fokker » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:35 pm

Okay, well I guess the first new release I'd talk about is the one I'm looking most forward to...

Bandai's Perfect Grade RX-78 GP-01 +(fb)...

First, a little word about Perfect Grades. Any modeler who is at all familiar with Bandai's Gundam models should know something about them. But for the uninitiated, I will try to get you up to speed. Perfect Grades were Bandai's bid to compete with the garage kit market. It started with the Perfect Grade Evangelion Unit-01, and went to Gundam from there. They tend to be based on Katoki's designs, fully detailed endoskeleton, outer armor paneling, detailed cockpits, lighted eyes-wingtips-beam sabers, you name it. The one I'm working on right now, the PG RX-178 Gundam MKII is one of THE most beautiful kits I've ever seen or worked with. VERY complicated, but very rewarding. Almost 900 parts in this one. I also have the PG RX-78 Gundam, MS-06 F/J Zaku II, and the MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam. These are the pinnacle of Gundam modeling, in this modelers humble opinion.

The downside: the cost. These models tend also to be very expensive for the casual modeler. I sometimes laugh at Gundam modelers who complain about the prices of Master Grades, (which are VERY reasonably priced). The prices range from $125usd for the RX-78 to $229 for the upcoming GP-01. But it's worth it...

Here are some shots of the upcoming GP-01 that I got from Hobbyfan and HLJ...

I believe this one is from the back of the box. Notice all the panel access... Oh, and the maintenance hangar frame/elevator comes with the kit as well...

These are from the 2003 Tokyo Hobby Show.

Cool close up...

It can be built as either version, and the armor can be swapped out, and includes sitting and standing pilot figures and maintenance crew as well, (just like the MK-II)...

Anyway, this is the single kit that is my Holy Grail, as it's one of my favorite two MSs, (until they release a PG RX-93 Nu Gundam)...

This will be released in November, in time for Christmas, but I won't be getting it until early next year, (I hope)...

Hope you guys enjoyed this... Let me know, huh?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:56 pm

The images look good. Nice article!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

NiTRO493

Post by NiTRO493 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:06 am

I always thought PG kits were rather huge. Im a 1/144 guy and I barely watch Gundam. (More of the mecha guy that likes models)