Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

Post by SteamTrooper » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:02 pm

I have been having trouble geting my pastel weathering onto my kits - I am told that Mineral Spirits is the way to go but living in England have not found this product - I think it may have another name over here and was hoping someone either new what it is called or maybe could point me to an alternative?

Post by bkito » Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:26 am

I'm not sure but I though mineral spirits were basically just used as paint thinners? I used to have a friend who thinned Testors paints with them because you could get a gallon for less than an ounce of Testors thinner. Don't know if this will help but maybe it will be at least a piece of the puzzle for you.

Post by SteamTrooper » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:44 am

Cheers Bkto - I have cleared this matter up - it was basically a translation problem - Mineral spirits are basically what i would call White Spirits or Witch Hazel - thanks.

Post by yuu_kajima » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:06 pm

Check this site for mecha weathering and working with figure :

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 pm

excellent link.

I model mostly in 3D, I have written shaders that produce the 'weathering effect'. I would say it's all about surface angle. Sharp creases tend to be darker due to dirt and shading, whilst hard edges tend to be more worn / lighter / scratched.

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:50 pm

Cheers Yuu - nice thought - Its good to see someone else has the Cody link - LOL - I have been following that guys work now for quite some time - I have also checked just about every Weathering Tutorial and modelling tutorial available on the net - it wasnt realy the technique etc I was after just some info on what on earth Mineral Spirits are called in england as I met many blank faces in art shops and chemists when I asked - they all just pointed at various White spirits and muttered "they should do stufff like that" - not what you need to hear after several weeks of carefull painting - especially as the wrong Spirit is more than happy to rip through paint and plastic without a second thought.

Post by NycRayJai » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:53 am

for weathing i use Pigma Micron 02 Markers, which can be wiped off with a wet cloth if u mess up, and if u a slightly damp cloth it will smear, casing a weating effect, i also use any kiddy water soluable paints that can be cleaned off easily with water.