Spadds...

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:31 am

*head spins*

errol

Post by errol » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:19 pm

One other time I can think of were spaads are used was early on when Colus first meets Clotho. Colus I think uses a spaad to decapatate two civilians and Amaterasu throws one and it sticks into the back of someones head. But Nagano I don't think favors them though. But pretty cool use of the weapons. We didn't get to see a light saber cut anyones head off until the latest Star Wars.

User avatar
Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:59 am
Location: Float Temple

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:39 pm

My personal favorite use of the Spaad is when Atropos is attacked by soldiers from Siburu and she opens a can of "WhoopAss(tm)" on them. Then she turns her Spaad on "blaster mode" and destroys their hovercraft.

I thought that was one of the coolest scenes in the manga.
Shinei!

User avatar
hitori
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:11 pm
Location: Lucky Channel

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:07 pm

That was the scene I read from my very first Tales of Joker book.
I was so tired of waiting for new FSS material (this was before internet boom) I bought this strange publication.
Thought it was expensive while paying for it, but after reading that part I concluded it was well worth it.

Anyways, that's one of the only episode in which a Knight (or someone with Knight-like ability) fights normal people in earnest.
I like Atropos' no-nonsense way.
She thinks these people shouldn't be allowed to report back to their headquarters, she kills them all.
Not timid and melodramatic like many other Fatimas.
There is no hesitation in any of her actions.

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:58 am

Thanks for proving my point, everybody. Decors ruins the former Black Knight with a spaad, because that's was the only weapon Roadas was an expert in and able to (or allowed to) teach to the Colus knighthood...including Colus III...dead...twice over, by the way...Decors put the old man out of his misery, that's all...Kaien could destroy just about anything with nothing more than a fart...Remember when Kaien lost his precious spaad in Traffics I? LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend... Nagano hated being compared to Star Wars...THE FORCE has a somewhat different meaning in FSS

User avatar
hitori
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:11 pm
Location: Lucky Channel

Post by hitori » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:38 pm

John Wisnom wrote:Thanks for proving my point, everybody. Decors ruins the former Black Knight with a spaad, because that's was the only weapon Roadas was an expert in and able to (or allowed to) teach to the Colus knighthood...including Colus III...dead...twice over, by the way...Decors put the old man out of his misery, that's all...Kaien could destroy just about anything with nothing more than a fart...Remember when Kaien lost his precious spaad in Traffics I? LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend... Nagano hated being compared to Star Wars...THE FORCE has a somewhat different meaning in FSS
You don't have a point.
Your original argument was that Spadds were weak.
I showed that it was in fact a very powerful weapon.
Now, if you want to keep pursuing your original argument, you should site counter examples to mine.
LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend... Nagano hated being compared to Star Wars...THE FORCE has a somewhat different meaning in FSS
None of this happens in the storyline.
And it does nothing to support your argument.
You don't have a point.
LOL indeed.

Oh and whether Nagano likes it or not, he did copy StarWars.

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:22 am

hitori wrote:
John Wisnom wrote:Thanks for proving my point, everybody. Decors ruins the former Black Knight with a spaad, because that's was the only weapon Roadas was an expert in and able to (or allowed to) teach to the Colus knighthood...including Colus III...dead...twice over, by the way...Decors put the old man out of his misery, that's all...Kaien could destroy just about anything with nothing more than a fart...Remember when Kaien lost his precious spaad in Traffics I? LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend... Nagano hated being compared to Star Wars...THE FORCE has a somewhat different meaning in FSS
You don't have a point.
Your original argument was that Spadds were weak.
I showed that it was in fact a very powerful weapon.
Now, if you want to keep pursuing your original argument, you should site counter examples to mine.
First of all my original argument was that spaads were not weak, for in fact very powerful weapons (as you have pointed out)...but for what their worth....not important to the story was what I was saying...not the major means of combat...nor the most desirable...fight by the spaad, die by the spaad?...who knows?...There was a definite deemphasis on laser weaponry as the story developed, in my opinion...Braford's adventure is indicative...Defeating the Auge by punching it out...While I was translating the saga...That occurred to me...What happened to the spaads? Like you, I thought they were the ultimate weapons...However, Nagano gave them the bum's rush....Why...Star Wars complex?
LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend... Nagano hated being compared to Star Wars...THE FORCE has a somewhat different meaning in FSS
None of this happens in the storyline.
Yes is does, Braford's one example of telecommunications...Zapping people in various "non-kill" modes another...Driving off bothersome ninjas (mosquitos) another...The importance (not the strength) of the weapon is being deemphasized because they don't fit the development of the story
And it does nothing to support your argument.
You don't have a point.
LOL indeed.

I think I do have a point...However, insignificant...Like spaads in FSS...

Oh and whether Nagano likes it or not, he did copy StarWars.

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 am

Oh and whether Nagano likes it or not, he did copy StarWars.[/quote]

Getting him to admit it is another thing...

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:30 am

hitori wrote:
Oh and whether Nagano likes it or not, he did copy StarWars.
According to Nagano (please emphasize this phrase throughout), the likeness to SW was coincidental (parallel)...in the sense that both authors had similar sources of information and developed similar ideas about that information...It happens in the world of art...not to mention science...The ideas of evolution (the four gospels?) being examples...Buddha and Heidegger
The fact of two people of a creative (intepretative) bent having the same idea has never been questioned.
How those two people pursue that idea is another problem. Nagano insists that he pursued his idea independently...I believe that part...
But when readers and viewers of more or less the same genre, like you, started to question his motives and his artistic integrity...For example, placing him in the stereotype of the"Japanese as copy cats," he may have reacted (rebelled) "Sh*t! I'm being compared to Lucas!. I don't know, but the storyline and the technology sure changed at a definite point in time. What exactly that moment was I don't know (and don't care for that matter), but it was as clear as a bell in the Japanese text.: One example being the deemphasis on laser weaponry, exemplified by the declining use of as well as the devaluation of the spaad as an inferior means toward the ultimate chivalry, no matter how much collaterial damage it could do.
Question: Why would Sharie Landers chose to cut off her arm with a heavy, blunt broadsword, instead of pulling out her handy spaad and doing it in high-tech surgical fashion?

User avatar
hitori
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:11 pm
Location: Lucky Channel

Post by hitori » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:19 pm

John Wisnom wrote:First of all my original argument was that spaads were not weak, for in fact very powerful weapons (as you have pointed out)...but for what their worth....not important to the story was what I was saying...
I just read over your previous posts.
From what I see, you're not being consistent.
Here you claim that you never ment to say that Spadds were weak.
What about these quotes?
John Wisnom wrote:This is what I think about it...Spaads are what Star Wars amateurs use to kill their fathers with...Is there a single FSS scene in which a spaad did any real damage? or made a duel more interesting?
John Wisnom wrote:LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend...
I hate catchphrases made by politicians, but this looks like a case of flip-flopping?
John Wisnom wrote:Like you, I thought they were the ultimate weapons...However, Nagano gave them the bum's rush....Why...Star Wars complex?
The role of Spadds are very clear in FSS world.
They are fragile, unreliable, yet very useful alternative to real swords.
MH's carry multiple casings of them in to battle.
In LED Mirage's case, I believe it was three cases of four Spadds. (From memory. But it's in this range.)
Why? Because like all electronic equipment, they break.
But they only equip two real-blade Speids.

Spadds are not the awe inspiring all-purpose ultimate weapons of Star Wars.
For one who wants to believe Nagano's claim about not copying Star Wars, you seem highly influenced by the series.
John Wisnom wrote:According to Nagano (please emphasize this phrase throughout), the likeness to SW was coincidental (parallel)...in the sense that both authors had similar sources of information and developed similar ideas about that information...It happens in the world of art...not to mention science...The ideas of evolution (the four gospels?) being examples...Buddha and Heidegger
The fact of two people of a creative (intepretative) bent having the same idea has never been questioned.
Star Wars was released in 1977.
Mobile Suit Gundam, in 1979.
Five Star Stories, in 1986.
They are hardly contemporary, especially SW and FSS.
In fact, all three of the original episodes were out by 1983. (Thanks IMDB :D)

I'm not saying Nagano sucks for copying other people's ideas.
And I'm not saying Star Wars was a totally original creation.
The basic storyline, C-3PO, R2D2, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Luke and Vader are all from Akira Kurosawa's movies, about 20 years before Star Wars: A New Hope.

If you can put your original spin in to a preexisting concept and make it great, why not?
But it still doesn't change the fact Nagano was heavily influenced by Star Wars and took many many ideas from it.
John Wisnom wrote:Question: Why would Sharie Landers chose to cut off her arm with a heavy, blunt broadsword, instead of pulling out her handy spaad and doing it in high-tech surgical fashion?
Because it looks cooler visually.
Sprinkle some chivalry thing and zen of one blade school in for taste.

Oh, and btw Speids are much more surgical and precise equipment than the messy burning Spadds.

User avatar
happy hopping
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 am

Post by happy hopping » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:26 pm

John Wisnom wrote:There are spaads and speids, Man. The spaads go laser ballistic, the speids are iron and steel. The latter come in all the varieties that Nagano's intellect is capable of....Japanese. I thought I expained that in a footnote somewhere...
btwn. these 2, is there a JPG for ea. to show the difference?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:58 pm

Happy hopping :

Usually a spaad is just a small white hilt or handle, or it can be like the Kaienken which are larger black swords.

A speid is usually, well a sword! :P Just as we know and love.

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:44 am

hitori wrote:
John Wisnom wrote:First of all my original argument was that spaads were not weak, for in fact very powerful weapons (as you have pointed out)...but for what their worth....not important to the story was what I was saying...
I just read over your previous posts.
From what I see, you're not being consistent.
Here you claim that you never ment to say that Spadds were weak.
What about these quotes?
John Wisnom wrote:This is what I think about it...Spaads are what Star Wars amateurs use to kill their fathers with...Is there a single FSS scene in which a spaad did any real damage? or made a duel more interesting?
What I meant is that, despite their devastating power, they never really lived up to their reputation. Why?
John Wisnom wrote:LOL!! Never leave home without it? Come on!! A handy little cattle prod at the most...Keep away the mosquitoes...Light a bonfire....Impress the hoi-polloi...Keep track of your girlfriend...
I hate catchphrases made by politicians, but this looks like a case of flip-flopping?

Politicians don't have a sense of humor. Nagano and I do...What about you?
John Wisnom wrote:Like you, I thought they were the ultimate weapons...However, Nagano gave them the bum's rush....Why...Star Wars complex?
The role of Spadds are very clear in FSS world.
They are fragile, unreliable, yet very useful alternative to real swords.
MH's carry multiple casings of them in to battle.
In LED Mirage's case, I believe it was three cases of four Spadds. (From memory. But it's in this range.)
Why? Because like all electronic equipment, they break.
But they only equip two real-blade Speids.

Spadds are not the awe inspiring all-purpose ultimate weapons of Star Wars.
For one who wants to believe Nagano's claim about not copying Star Wars, you seem highly influenced by the series.
John Wisnom wrote:According to Nagano (please emphasize this phrase throughout), the likeness to SW was coincidental (parallel)...in the sense that both authors had similar sources of information and developed similar ideas about that information...It happens in the world of art...not to mention science...The ideas of evolution (the four gospels?) being examples...Buddha and Heidegger
The fact of two people of a creative (intepretative) bent having the same idea has never been questioned.
Star Wars was released in 1977.
Mobile Suit Gundam, in 1979.
Five Star Stories, in 1986.
They are hardly contemporary, especially SW and FSS.
In fact, all three of the original episodes were out by 1983. (Thanks IMDB :D)

I'm not saying Nagano sucks for copying other people's ideas.
And I'm not saying Star Wars was a totally original creation.
The basic storyline, C-3PO, R2D2, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Luke and Vader are all from Akira Kurosawa's movies, about 20 years before Star Wars: A New Hope.

If you can put your original spin in to a preexisting concept and make it great, why not?
But it still doesn't change the fact Nagano was heavily influenced by Star Wars and took many many ideas from it.
John Wisnom wrote:Question: Why would Sharie Landers chose to cut off her arm with a heavy, blunt broadsword, instead of pulling out her handy spaad and doing it in high-tech surgical fashion?
Because it looks cooler visually.
Sprinkle some chivalry thing and zen of one blade school in for taste.

Oh, and btw Speids are much more surgical and precise equipment than the messy burning Spadds.

I rest my case...We agree....And thank you for your insights...I just told you about Nagano's view ...All I was thinking about was the development of the story...and how spaads didn't really mean a hell of lot in that story (emphasis on in the story)...Excuse the flippancy....

John Wisnom
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 11:39 am
Location: Izu, Japan

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 am

[quote="hitori
I hate catchphrases made by politicians, but this looks like a case of flip-flopping?[/quote]

The only "flipflopping" I can hear going on is the sound of someone kicking a dead horse up and down the block...This is supposed to be a "forum," not an "arena"...

Post Reply