Lots of Questions from English Vol 21, 22, 23, and 24

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:01 pm

Youth and the potential of being Kensai are totally two different things. A person is born a Kensai, not thru training, not thru experience, etc but purely thru bloodlines. Christine is not born a Kensai and thus can never be one. She may be strong compared to the average knights but not that strong to be a Kensai.

Christine's romance can never blossom, that's the whole point of the Chivalries chapter. It is to illustrate the 'cursed' and ill-fate of the knights - even though the commoners of Joker might think that it is a prestige to be a knight, knights are in many ways having similar fates like fatimas. Chris longed to live like a normal girl, to have a romantic love life, to have friends, to live like a common teenager (jp vol 10). But due to her being a knight, and on top of that, her murder of a commoner schoolmate, she is cursed to suffer and be despised - to carry the guilt forever. Even if she wins battles for Fillmore, people will never forgive her for that crime. This is the price to pay for being a knight and making such a grave mistake. Yet Chris is brave enough to chose to live on and face her cursed fate as punishment (seen in jp vol 10 - when Lader speaks to Chris).

The part about Ena talking to Chris is becoz Ena wants Chris to wake up from her fear of killing. Remember Chris is Highlander, imagine a Highlander in such a condition in the middle of a war - what impact it will bring to the honor and morale of the Fillmore troops. The politicians were already planning to forcefully send her into battle and let her die. Yes, Christine must die/be punished if she refuse to fight as a Highlander - that's her purpose in life. She would've been punished for her crime if she wasn't a Highlander, that's how she 'escaped' punishment in the first place.

Ena goes to meet Chris and says that it's because she must at least meet the Highlander appointed by the ex-Emperor. However, I believe it's more than that. Ena sees Chris as a strong headliner and encourages her to pick up the sword again. She tells Chris about the pair of earrings from Fillmore 5 were sort of a token of his love for her, but no matter how much they love each other, their love will never blossom. Yet Ena asked Chris to fight for all she got for her love. That is how Chris emerged from her fear and is now stronger and more determined to do her Emperor's bidding. Chris will not hesitate to kill babies and children if her Emperor asks her to, she will wipe out a country if need to, she does not fear death, and no longer hopes for anything other than to serve her Emperor. That's how determined she is now.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:33 am

This is a really good response. Thank you, Rubel.

Now that I begin to see how much is determined by birth in FSS I can begin to understand one of the main undercurrents of the stories: both headdliners and fatimas are cursed by fate and at times wish they could be "regular" humans.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:40 pm

A person is born a Kensai, not thru training, not thru experience, etc but purely thru bloodlines
There is nothing to suggest that in the English version. Where in the other books does it say this? And which of the AD era bloodlines has the monoploly?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:11 pm

Well, so far I can track 2 bloodlines who have had Kensai tittle:

Descendants of Nekkandra Svas

and

Descendants of Assarim Skinzu (Kaien's dad)

Hierarchy, Madora, Ena are all descendants of Svas.

Kaien and Max are descendants of Skinzu.

Who do these people descend from:

Vizantins:

Harricone Melody Needlenoid (Colus bloodline)
Shinei!

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:54 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Well, so far I can track 2 bloodlines who have had Kensai tittle:

Descendants of Nekkandra Svas

and

Descendants of Assarim Skinzu (Kaien's dad)

Hierarchy, Madora, Ena are all descendants of Svas.

Kaien and Max are descendants of Skinzu.

Who do these people descend from:

Vizantins:

Harricone Melody Needlenoid (Colus bloodline)
So then its not really heredatary, its just that only those with a high percentage of AD era chivalry genetics in their family tree. That they might not even have knowledge of, just like the women who become Shamen of Atoll are chosen for their power- but then on investigation of their geneology (or DNA if records are lacking) shows that they are decendants of AD era divers on both sides of their family.

And the V family is?

For those who have read ahead and know that Chris does not make Kensai, ok, but something about her abilities is attracting Ena to do a lot for her (and as of yet they havent met face to face). What does Ena see?

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:11 am

Maybe you've misunderstood that I'm saying the Kensei position is hereditary. It is definitely NOT, it is not a monarch, not passed down from father to son.

Rather it is the genes in the bloodlines that I'm talking about - the nature of inheritance. Genes - either you have it or you don't. Nagano's been trying to talk about bloodlines and genes in the Chivalries chapter isn't it? Why do you think he bothers to draw the elaborate pure-bloodline chart showing the descendants of Swans? In fact, he tries to link so many people from Swans to Hirarchy, Ena to Madora. Why is the long-kept secret of Kaien's parents a good explanation of his extraordinary strength?

Chances are Kensei will come from members of pure bloodlines. Most knights' blood are too 'diluted' after so many generations of mixing with the general populace, thus their maximum potential is much much lower than those closer to the pure blood. For example, Araragi Haite (the ex-policeman). Do you think that with intense training and lots of experience he can become a Kensei or Ten-i? The answer is No way! Training and experience merely puts a knight to his/her max potential limit, not over it. Just like a commoner in FSS world, no matter how much training he does, he can never become a knight. Similarly for Kensei. Yes, the difference is THAT big!

Why Chris is not a potential Kensei? Barbaluse V was one of the top knights of Fillmore, and now Chris is the Highlander. There is no doubt she is very strong indeed. But nowhere near the Kensei level, AFAIK. Compare her father to Decors, and from Decors to the knights he defeated. Decors is a good reference, very very strong, yet he knows very well he stands no chance against a kensei. Realise the big gap here between Kensei and others? There are many others who are stronger than Chris, even her Emperor Fillmore 5 is stronger. Unless all of them suddenly dies off... LOL. So do you still think she has the chance of becoming a kensei - the strongest knight in all of Joker?

Why Ena looks for Chris?
- Formality sake to meet Highlander appointed by ex-Emperor. Official business.
- Ena knows of her grandson's romance with Chris. Since Fillmore 5 cannot visit Chris, she goes in his place.
- Highlander down becoz of mental breakdown. Ena thinks she can help Chris?
- Ena knows Chris is an important asset to the Empire (well, Chris is the Highlander!)

Sorry for the long post :oops: , I just wanna clarify as best as I can on my views.

Finally, I'll just have to say don't worry about Chris. From the looks of it, Nagano seems to like Chris alot, she'll get her fair share of accomplishments ;)

BTW, Atoll Shaman are not hereditary, not due to their level of powers. It's just coincidence that Magdall is closely related. Of course, if u wanted to, all knights, divers and meights can be linked back to the AD ancestries. That's how they get their extraordinary abilities anyway.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)