Evangelion

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

SteamTrooper

Evangelion

Post by SteamTrooper » Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:33 pm

Does anyone recall a series of short live action/model episodes that appeared (I think) on MTV a few years back? called (I think) `Archangel Thunderbird`?

Wasnt this a live action version of Evangelion and I think also written/screenplayed by Neil Gaiman? Or is this all some dream I had? If not (a dream that is) can anyone tell me anything more about it like how long it went on and if it is available on DVD or similar?

Adam

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:51 pm

Archangel Thunderbird had nothing to do with Evangelion. It was a BBC production with monster designs by Yasushi Nirasawa. I dont think Neil Gaiman was involved, though I could be wrong. If he was, it was only tangentially. As far as its availability on DVD, I havent seen it anywhere myself, though I admit I havent looked very hard.

SteamTrooper

oh!

Post by SteamTrooper » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:53 pm

When u say it has nothing to do with it I assume you mean no connection via writer/director etc... - but doesnt the theme strike you as sort of familiar? - please bare in mind I havent seen an awfull lot of Evangelion.

Anyway - http://www.rengamedia.com/archangel.html - for those who havent come across it before.

Still dont know if it is available tho?

p.s. N Gaimain was the voice of the demon I have since found out and Alan Grant the Writer

p.p.s - It isnt/wanst a BBC production

Cheers

Adam
Last edited by SteamTrooper on Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:18 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:please bare in mind I havent seen an awfull lot of Evangelion.
You should really watch all of Evangelion. I am not exaggerating when I say it is the best anime TV series ever made.

(Not to mention the most influential anime of its decade.)

Grebo

P.S. - It's "bear in mind," not "bare in mind."

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:35 pm

I think it should be said that Evangelion is a Love or Hate Anime, you either love it to death, or you curse its excistance.

I, personally, can't consider Eva the best ever made because my main criteria for such an achievement is that you never want it to end. Eva set out what it intended to do, and to continue it will probably cheapen its original meaning.

For me, U.C. Gundam as a whole (in a sense that there is so much more that can be done), Urusei Yatsura ( it was just so much fun, and there were alot of good storys that never got animated, but I understand why it ended), and the Original Macross( I felt so attached to the charactors, I would really like to know what happened to them) and a few other all have this quality. Yet I would never be so bold as to declare any one of them the best ever made.

I don't think there can ever be a best, because its all up to personal taste, one mans trash is another mans treasure and vice versa.

I don't know why I felt the need to post this. I guess I felt it needed to be said. feel free to ignore it

Mave

Post by Mave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:37 pm

No ignoring, I thank you for your very eloquently written post.
You just like, stole every word i had in my mouth 8)

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:31 pm

Hmmmm!!! I watched enuf to know it wasnt for me (no insult) - main problems I saw were lack of characterization/development, repatition and the design ethic of the `mech?`. :cry:

(Or maybe I just want a debate?) :roll:

Most influential anime? - surely -

everything by the mighty Myazaki :D

also I agree with Macross/Robotech - for me it was the birth and death (to en extent) of love of anime (I was reborn however)

that said I will sit down this weekend and watch a few more hours. :roll:
Last edited by SteamTrooper on Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteamTrooper

Post by SteamTrooper » Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:02 pm

Gee thanks Guru - if ever I need a spell checker or sentence structure builder I shall have to BEAR u in mind. :D

p.s how does one spell Pedantic again?

Adam

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:30 pm

SteamTrooper wrote:Gee thanks Guru - if ever I need a spell checker or sentence structure builder I shall have to BEAR u in mind. :D

p.s how does one spell Pedantic again?

Adam
Whatever, kid.

SteamTrooper

Kid

Post by SteamTrooper » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:47 am

Guru - I come here to talk about a subject close to my heart - having looked at your site I would hazard a guess that we are more alike than you might care to admit.

Point is I dont have an awful lot of time for spell checking my entries durnig the day - furthermore I find that language is a method of communication that can bear the rigours of spelling mistakes and bad grammar. As long as the meaning is intact I am happy - the fact you knew what I was trying to say means I succeded (sic possibly).

Also I am a 35 year old professional male and dont appreciate the patronising tone that is implied by your constant corrections and the `Kid` statement.

This is not meant to antagonize but rather clear the air - Your input in other manners is much appreciated and sometimes my entries could do with some spelling input - thanks for those.

p.s. I am having a very bad time all round at the moment (I know this is prob lame to most and oft used) but it is true and has led to a rather short temper of late which has no doubt commpounded my normally forthright temperment, therefore I honestly apologise if my comments have raised your hackels in any way and would hope we could come to be friends maybe? :roll:

Cheers

Adam