A Little FSS Fun

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Little FSS Fun

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:39 pm

My son is back from the hospital and I actually have some time this weekend. To celebrate I'm going to scan a few images from the FSS Reboot manga volumes. Who knows? We may even get some translation help for the pages I put up. Yes, that's a hint. If anyone can translate what I post this weekend we'd all appreciate it.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A Little FSS Fun

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:27 pm

http://www.gearsonline.net/download/helmine.gif
http://www.gearsonline.net/download/black-knight.gif

Any translators out there? I've got to go change the water in my aquarium but I'll try to scan a few more Reboot pages today.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:11 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/download/berlin.gif

This page (from Reboot volume 2) seems to show how rejected Gundam designs were an inspiration for the Berlin.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:21 am

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Very nice!

It's interesting to see the evolution of the MH's. Hopefully the other Reboot books have more of this. It's good stuff.
Shinei!

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:06 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/download/tank.gif

Thanks for the comments, Nu Soard. Unfortunately, the only image from Reboot volume 3 that seems interesting to me is the tank illustration linked above. There are 2 interview pages towards the back but without translation they aren't interesting.

The image above is real big but I was afraid if I shrank it down no one could read the handwritten Japanese text. I wanted to put it up this morning but my wife had me hanging mirrors today.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:51 pm

I'll give it a go. Here's a translation for the first one, using names from the Designs books by preference:

MH Herrmeine
A MH Duke Über personally purchased from the Rosso Empire. The Rosso Empire's leading MH. Being both a military weapon and available for purchase by foreign nations, on occasion both allies and enemies may be using the same MH. A heavy MH, it will appear again in part 6.

Helmine: Design Prototype
This "Helmine" was produced while working on "L-Gaim", giving the impression of a robot equipped with gas tanks about its body. It was scrapped, and the head design became the "Calvary Temple". So this is also the Calvary Temple's prototype design. But this scrapped design was taken by "Five Star Stories" to be reborn as "MH Herrmeine".

Edit: change to part 6 instead of volume 6, because I'm pretty sure it refers to Majestic Stand rather than the 6th book
Last edited by levrin on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Wow. Thanks, levrin. It's great to be able to read what the Japanese text says.

levrin

Post by levrin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 pm

Batsh the Black Knight
Very old designs for MH Black Knight Batsh which shows up in the first volume. The Batsh that shows up at the beginning is called "Black Glarde", used by the fifth Black Knight, Glarde. The story then rewinds nearly 1000 years; the color page shows the Batsh used in 2989 by the second Black Knight, Lodes. The above two illustrations are serial sketches developing the fifth Black Knight, but for some reason remained as roughs, never becoming cels. Compared to the later Batsh the eyes and mask have a different shape, and the Black Knight's "Tomoe Mark" is missing. The heel detail is from the "L-Gaim" era design, but the armored warrior design is from the Nagano-style MS "Galluss-J" design for "ZZ Gundam" (Almost all of Nagano's many scrapped "ZZ Gundam" MS designs that never saw the light of day were appropriated by FSS for MH designs). The general imagery of Black Knight Batsh is taken directly from the Bat-Shu that appears in "Heavy Metal L-Gaim". Further, the head has been made more skeletal, and the impression of a Japanese armored warrior has been emphasized.

The Current Batsh
"Five Star Stories" is an extremely long work, consisting of over 1000 years of stories. The leading robots, Mortar Headds, among the long years will have their details adjusted to suit each passing age. The Batsh of 3030 has become more heavily armored, characterized by additional armor pieces.

Edit: adjust wording slightly
Last edited by levrin on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 am

The Black Knight information does a good job of explaining the design changes. It's also interesting to note how much of Nagano's TV anime designs got "rolled into" Five Star Stories later on. Thanks, levrin.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Awesome job.

Thanks for the translations. Tachyon, maybe some of this info could be added to the MH pages?
Shinei!

levrin

Post by levrin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 pm

(Edit: Oops, missed the Berlin one) The next two are both rejected Char's Counterattack designs, but the Booray one looks like it comes first, so here it is:

Mysterious Unpublished Robot 1
It was decided that the continuation of a certain production would be a theatrical film. Having been told by director Tomino, "It's not a TV series so I'll entrust you with all the designs." I began sketching ultra serious robots at a blistering pace. This might be the first time the sketched designs for this theatrical work come out. This solemn robot was planned to be piloted by the enemy hero, given a name meaning, "bird which carries death". Rejected twice already from this work, "This time..!" was my thought as I started designing with all my might, but nearly all the robots, warships, cockpit systems, even helmets I submitted came back rejected. But there was no time to feel sorry for myself! I was also supporting "Five Star Stories" at a furious pace, and had to throw myself full force into volume 2's Clotho arc. While at the time, my regret was such that I almost thought to use this for the "MH Booray" as is, only the shape of the armor was incorporated into the Booray; on close inspection it looks similar... maybe?? Sort of. Take note that "Stegosaurus" written to the right is not the name of this robot. Also, the robot head drawn on the left is the "Zeta Re-GZ", a heavy-framed robot equipped with a large booster and wide-barrelled beam cannon on its back. Even now it's scary how great I feel this design is, but thinking "maybe.." or "if only..." is just misplacing blame. Each era has its own atmosphere, and that era had its reasons for rejection. This is a masterpiece among Nagano robots, but it is one of the past.

MH Booray
The Booray's form is derived from the above robot. The twisted leg armor, the massiveness of a heavy MH were required for the narrative, but even so it's still slim compared to the upper robot.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks, levrin. It's so cool to read these text boxes next to the illustrations. I like hearing the background for anime/manga projects I've enjoyed for so long.

levrin

Post by levrin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:11 am

I'll go back to the Berlin one next.

Mysterious Unpublished Robot 2
Finally, we have a robot whose appearance was planned for a certain theatrical animation. Of the same design line as the Nighten—I mean mysterious unpublished robot 1. Que—no, wait. Anyway, it was designed to be the robot the young heroine pilots in the final battle. This robot became the basis for so many MH designs it is almost a model for later work. Not just the silhouette and parts, even the armor lines became base patterns. Standing it next to the Ashra Temple the arm plating, the armor from the neck to the torso are just copied right over. Though never published, this design was an important foundation for 20 years of Nagano robots.

MH Ashra Temple
By way of the Booray, mysterious robot 2 inspired the MH Ashra Temple that appears in part 3. The second generation Booray, Boctok which shows up in part 6, "The Majestic Stand", also inherits from this robot's imagery.

MH Booray (Boctok)
The second type of Booray appearing in part 6. For convenience, given the name "Boctok". As can be seen, it inherits the general impression of mysterious robot 2's head area.

levrin

Post by levrin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 am

Galbaldy β Prototype Design
The Berlin's design starts this far back. This is the prototype design for the "Galbaldy β"; it will grow into the Zeta Gundam (Hyaku Shiki), Galbaldy β, Nemo, Gundam ZZ's M-9 and Hyaku Shiki Neue; parts will be adopted by Five Star MH including the Berlin, Batsh, and even Junone. While is it obvious that the back boosters go to the Rick Dias, and the general silhouette becomes the Galbaldy and Hyaku Shiki, the Batsh and Berlin take its torso armor, while the shoulder parts are used as is on the late Junone.

Bullfighter Robot "M-9"
This robot also never saw the light of day, this "M-9" was designed as an MS to backup and assist Haman's more feminine robot. The face of the "Berlin" comes from this robot. Also, the shield became the Cross Mirage's Luter Veil.

One-eyed Robot "Sazu"
A robot designed for "Gundam ZZ". Rejected for the program, it never appeared. It's large single eye one fifth its body height were to make it obvious at first sight to young viewers that this was an enemy robot. This robot's armor plating was adopted as is by MH Batsh and Berlin.

MH Berlin
The Berlin was created from a variety of other designs: L-Gaim's shoulder rails, Batsh's armor, M-9's face, Colus III's hat. It's a nice, substantial design.