Most trafficked anime/mamga boards?

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Grebo Guru

Most trafficked anime/mamga boards?

Post by Grebo Guru » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Hi all,

Long time no see.

I have a question for you, my anime- and manga-knowledgeable bros. Maybe you can help.

I'm trying to find the most popular, busiest, most oft-visited message boards/forums dedicated to things anime & manga. Ideally, it would
be a board/forum that has a "marketplace" or "for sale/trade" area somewhere on it.

I'm just so friggin' sick of eBay's fees. I sold about 200 bucks worth of stuff and the fees were about $25.00! Heck with that.

So, any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Grebo
AKA Benjamin

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 am

I wish I could be of more help but I don't have much time these days for any sort of Internet activity.

It's interesting to me that you bring up the Ebay issue. This week I've begun thinking about selling old manga volumes on Ebay because I need garage space. Does Ebay really take a big cut out of your profit selling something?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:45 am

Tachyon wrote:I wish I could be of more help but I don't have much time these days for any sort of Internet activity.

It's interesting to me that you bring up the Ebay issue. This week I've begun thinking about selling old manga volumes on Ebay because I need garage space. Does Ebay really take a big cut out of your profit selling something?
Yeah, eBay's fees have gotten really high. Like I said, $25.00 out of $200.00. That's, what, 12%? Pretty darn high.

Your mileage may vary, though. A lot of my items didn't sell. This bad economy makes selling stuff on eBay much less brisk than usual. :-(

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:44 pm

Wow, long time no see, grebo.

You might try AnimeNation. They are a major anime site and I think they have a for sale section.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks, Mister March, for the welcome-back. :-) AND for the recommendation. I'll try them. You rock!!!

As for being back, yeah, I live in Connecticut now. Family matters drew me here, to the woods. I hate it, but I'm making do. At least I have more time to do things like, oh, post to this site....

...and also to FINALLY get into BitTorrent-type downloading. God!!! What a cornucopia!!! I've downloaded most of the Kamen Rider series from the past decade or so. Has anyone here watched Kamen Rider KABUTO? It is freakin' amazing!!!!

Greeby
Mr March wrote:Wow, long time no see, grebo.

You might try AnimeNation. They are a major anime site and I think they have a for sale section.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Whoa! Kamen Rider? Are the first 2 TV series available for download subtitled? If so, I'm there! I've always wanted to see how that show started. What's the link, man?
I live in Connecticut now.
Are you going to make it back to San Francisco sometime? How do you like Connecticut? I've never been there.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:49 pm

An awful lot of great tokusatsu stuff, including Kamen Rider of course, is available here:

http://www.tvnihon.com/tracker/

and also here:

http://www.elite-justice.com/

TV Nihon is an especially awesome site. I've downloaded all of Garo, Kamen Riders Blade, Faiz, Kabuto, Kiva, and The Next, plus plenty of other stuff. Man, the amount of music I've got now... wow! BitTorrent is incredible. There's no way this can last, so I'm gettin' all I can while the gettin' is good.

As for my living situation... I don't know if I'll ever move back to San Francisco, or to NYC, or what. I'd sure like to, but I'm living with my father, to help him out and take care of him now that my Mom's passed away.

Connecticut is a very nice state, but my dad's house is in The WOODS; our nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away, there's trees and bears and everything here. The power goes out for as much as 24 hours during every other thunderstorm, there are almost no people my age (let alone available women) and I have no job and no prospects for one. Yee-haw.

Well, at least I have time to post here now!

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:22 am

Damn, Ben. I'm really sorry to hear that. I mean, it's not like I know you all that well, but you've always been one of the nicest people online (and I mean "nice" as in not a moron, has it together, doesn't take sh** from people but has a good sense of tact). And you're also a talented artist. For what it's worth, I wish you the best and I know things will get better for you.

I guess the plus side is we get to see more of you. A warm welcome back to you.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:41 am

Thank ye, bro. :-)

My sitch will improve. Right now I'm just on this, like... endless-looking plateau. I will climb higher eventually, I just don't yet know when.

Meanwhile I am indeed enjoying having more Web Time.
Mr March wrote:Damn, Ben. I'm really sorry to hear that. I mean, it's not like I know you all that well, but you've always been one of the nicest people online (and I mean "nice" as in not a moron, has it together, doesn't take sh** from people but has a good sense of tact). And you're also a talented artist. For what it's worth, I wish you the best and I know things will get better for you.

I guess the plus side is we get to see more of you. A warm welcome back to you.
"Civilize the mind, make savage the body." - M.T.T.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:14 am

So I went to AnimeNation.com and made a post about the matter that concerns me. Here's the thread:

http://www.animenation.net/forums/showt ... p?t=216474

I was shocked. This has to be the most hostile online community I've ever come across -- even more hostile than the Macrossworld forum, and that's saying something!

Have you looked at the thread? It's harsh. Not only did they call my entirely-reasonable concern unreasonable, and call me a selfish jerk, they actually took the time to create pictures that make fun of me! I mean, goddamn dudes. Overkill much?

I still think I'm right on this matter. But I'm certainly not gonna have anything more to do with AnimeNation.com's forums. That place's social environment sucks. It sucks canal water!

Sigh...

Grebo

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:40 am

It's sad that things didn't work out at AnimeNation. It is an immature board, but there's really no way to avoid it with a community that large populated mostly by teens. It is a young community of anime geeks - and generalizations aside - that demographic isn't exactly known for maturity and social adeptness. I'm not making excuses, just telling it like it is. There's not much in the way of excuses for how they acted.

At the same time, I don't understand what it is you're doing, GG. I thought you were looking for a place to sell merchandise. Your post here at gearsonline mentioned nothing about a crusade against Asahiya Bookstore in NYC. To be honest, I'm more than a little pissed that you neglected to mention that fact and feeling more than a little used.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:07 am

"To be honest, I'm more than a little pissed that you neglected to mention that fact and feeling more than a little used."

Errrr... uhhh.... I'm gonna assume that's a joke? (gulp)

Actually, I DID post about my sale on AnimeNation (in another thread and, quite frankly, under another username). It didn't go over very well either. All I got were responses about how Yu-Gi-Oh sucks. >:-|

Monster

Post by Monster » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:17 am

Welcome back to the boards Grebo. Let me start off by offering my condolences on your recent loss. It can be very hard when you lose someone close to you. I lost a brother a few years ago, so I can relate.

Sorry to hear about your situation and having to move out to the boonies. I'm sure the situation is only temporary, so hang in there.

I've never been to the AnimeNation boards myself, but I have had some negative experiences with Macrossworld. All I can say is WOW! They're actually worse? Hard to imagine.

Umm, on a side note, I noticed the new quote included in your post signature. I don't know if you're an admirer of Mao, but FYI, he was a pedophile. He enjoyed deflowering thirteen-year old virgins, so not the nicest guy. He was also one of the greatest mass-murderers in history. Not trying to razz you or start a flame, I just didn't know if you were aware.

Anyways, good to see you back.

Grebo Guru

Post by Grebo Guru » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:38 am

Hiya Monster!

Thanks for the condolences. It's tough, yeah. As is the living situation, as is dealing with the d-bags on animenation.com. Ah well, life can be complicated. I appreciate the sympathy.

As for Mao, thanks for the concern. I mean, I know he was not a nice guy, believe me. The thing is, my quote isn't meant to imply that I like what he stood for; I just like the quote itself, and he happens to be the one who said it. Y'know?

It's like my college film course professor, Dr. Grella. He was an impatient jerk and a misogynist. However, he was a great film teacher. So, while I wouldn't hang out with the guy and wouldn't endorse his behavior, I didn't completely dismiss anything and everything he taught me. He still had some valuable ideas to convey... but only about film. :-)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:01 pm

I have to say I support your post on Asahiya's book policy. A lot of art books have almost no art in them. It's hard for us non-Japanese speakers to know which books are going to give us good art and which aren't. Not too long ago I was in a position to buy a lot of books, both in Japan and in California. I can't count the number of times I got home, removed the plastic and sighed in exasperation at the fact that the book had almost no art in it at all!

I mean, some video game guides have great artwork in them and some have nothing but small screen caps. You don't know until you open it and thumb through it! And as for "pristine condition", I certainly don't mind if some people thumbed through it before me. I didn't grow up in a plastic bubble and I'm not afraid of indirectly shaking a few peoples' hands. The sci-fi novels on the shelves at book stores aren't shrink-wrapped. Lots of other people have taken them off the shelf before me. I still buy them.

As for Chairman Mao, I believe he did more harm than good in the world but it is a really cool quote that you've got. I was an exchange student in China in 1994. An American friend and I both liked free market capitalism but when we saw copies of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book for sale at a local market we both grapped copies. We had a Chinese friend teach us "Mao was right!" in Chinese and we walked around the campus waving our copies of Mao's book and shouting the slogan. It was immature and dopey. Maybe it was even disrespectful of another culture. We were young and had too much free time. Not to say that your quoting Mao is immature. I'm just saying we can accept the good, leave the bad and be a bit open-minded in this world.