Buster what?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Mr March

Buster what?

Post by Mr March » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:02 am

So I'm reading issue number 3 of the english translated Five Star Stories; specifically, the appendix section at the back (er, front? I love manga...lol) describing the buster artillery. I'm lost on the exact nature of this weapon.

They call the weapons "buster artillery" and they use actual shells according to the schematics, so is this basically some kind of super slug-thrower? I suppose it's possible. I mean, get a 1 kg mass going .75 c and you end up with a 20 megaton impact. But the description text is quite vague on the subject (possibly due to a translation issue). The bottom of page 72 almost makes it sound like the weapon is a super particle accelerator rather than propelling a single mass. In which case the shells would be holding reaction mass rather than slugs.

Anyway, does anyone have a clearer understanding of this weapon?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:38 am

Yes. Buster Weaponry are some form of extreme plasma or particle accelleration weapon. It is energy based even though it is called Buster "Artillery".

In general, the weapon doesn't use shells (although one particular type of Buster Launcher does...more on that later) but is charged either via the carriers own power source (A Buster Launcher) or by a seperate charging unit (a Buster Rock or Buster Faust...the most common type used by Mortar Headds)

The big weakness of Buster Weaponry is how long they take to charge....10 minutes on average. Some can take longer or charge faster, depending on how much energy the carrier or generator can bring to fully charge the Buster.

When fully charged, a Buster Weapon can do tremendous damage...being able to disintigrate several Kilometers worth of solid earth in a single blast. Buster Weaponry can be used to clear mountain ranges or wipe cities off the map or clear entir battlefields...they are the ultimate Weapons of Mass Destruction.

The Buster Weapon in the illustrations shown to have "artillery shells" is the Jagd Mirage...It has a special charging system that includes multiple charged shells...each shell holds enough energy to fully charge the Buster Launcher once. Thus the Jagd's Busters (it mounts two..one over each shoulder) can fire full-charge shots several times per minute!!! Yes, the Jagd Mirage is ridiculous over-kill. Amaterasu admits as much to Lachesis. Once all the Shells are spent, the Jagd can switch to a normal charging method firing a Buster every 10 minutes or so (or alternate charging then firing a single Buster for 1 shot every 5 minutes or so)

The reason very few Mortar Headds carry Busters (and only two mount them as standard equipment...the Jagd Mirage and the K.O.G.) is because a) they don't make for a very fair fight, and Headdliners are all about chivalry and b) they take far too much energy to charge and fire...and MH's need that energy for maneuverability and self-defense. A MH who fires a Buster when other enemy MH units are still on the field will be dead meat as they won't be able to maneuver at full speed for some time.
Also, Busters require a bit too much energy...the Knight of Gold is notorious for operational breakdowns and many of these are attributed to the difficulty of balancing the power output between the generator and the Buster charging units...it is theorized that this is the reason the Patrasque Mirage is designed without a Buster Launcher.
Shinei!

Mr March

Post by Mr March » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Ah, my thanks again Nu Soard. So it basically is a kind of particle weapon and the shells were just energy charges for the Jagd Mirage's special rapid fire Buster cannon. Good enough.

I've almost got every issue up to number 7 and all the books are a really good read so far. It's interesting how the story just jumps into the tale without a lot of background or introduction. But the exposition within it is handled well and the appendix sections at the back of each book are brilliant. I find the whole series very grand, epic and highly detailed. It's great so far.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:48 am

If memory serves me correctly, another reason why Buster weaponry isn't used is simply because it is TOO destructive. The whole reason why the nations of Joker use MHs is because the aim of the fighting is generally to gain territory/infrastructure/ressources.

MHs can be used almost surgically to capture these ressources intact, whereas a buster would just create smoldering craters of barren wasteland and rip apart the very fabric of space/time. It has been mentioed in the manga that the worlds of Joker are starting to see dwindling natural ressources, which is probably another significant factor for not blowing crap up indiscriminately.
John F. Moscato