Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Other mecha manga, shows, OAV's & movies

Moderator: kosh

Newton

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Post by Newton » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:55 pm

Alright, I've got a confession to make.

For many years now, I've felt that GAINAX is dead. As in "dead to me." As in, "I got my divorce, and I never wanna see that (expletive of choice) again."

OK, everybody went apeshit about FLCL, but it left me cold. Folks lost their minds about Eva - I was about it, too, until the marketing juggernaut went into high gear in the late 90's. Also, on rewatching the show, I realized just how much hate was in GAINAX members' hearts for fandom. Basically, I watched "of, for and by the fans" morph into "F*** the fans; we were just out to rape 'em all along."

This was further supported by the corruption charges, bankruptcy and reorganization of GAINAX, resulting in a flood of predigested pap that only blind brand loyalty would cause me to watch. And I ain't THAT brand-loyal.

Well, now I've got a glimmer of hope.

I tried watching Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (hereafter known as TTGL) 'cause when I saw the promo art, "GAINAX + robots - Eva MIGHT = interesting." Of course, looking at the damn robot made me wanna heave. It just screamed, "Hi, I'm a cheezy mexploitation show, and You're gonna get RAPED AGAIN!!!" Watching the first episodes of the show, with its unhealthy Freudian references to drills, guns and manhood, coupled with a plot that felt a lot like warmed-over FLCL bits in a tepid, congealed marketing gravy, I quickly dismissed the show. As someone on 4chan put it, "Shin-Getter FuriKuri."

Meh. Feh. Sheer, utter, unmitigated crap, said I.

But a little, tiny voice inside me said, "Maybe it'll get better later on?" I spat on that little voice, and screamed, "JUST LOOK AT THIS CRAP! Somebody at GAINAX decided that Modok from Marvel Comics made a great base for a mecha design! And SUNGLASSES on a mech? Ahhh, gimme a BREAK!!!"

Well, I kept TTGL on my peripheral vision, just in case - and then, like a divine bolt from the blue, TTGL got INTERESTING.

Seven-year time-skip. A plot. Characters that were INTERESTING, not just GAINAX stereotypes. Oh, and a return to fannish HOMAGES as opposed to fanservice and snide little, "see why you're an idiot? You actually WATCH this sh**!" moments.

I've actually seen subtle, non-sarcastic references to stuff like the opening of "Nadia". I've witnessed moments of actual *gasp* LOVE for the anime genre, and the old-school GAINAX fandom that created "Gunbuster" and the DAICON opening videos. These people actually seem to be starting to enjoy anime again.

Finally, I saw this week's episode. People, it was OFF THE CHAIN. I repeat - OFF THE MUTHAF***IN' CHAIN!!! It was a return to DAICON IV. This show's pacing has turned into something from the good ol' days: fast, funny, heartwarming and gut-wrenching all at once. In this ep, I watched the Earth be saved from an inwardly-spiraling Moon, the best Macross homage/parody ever, and the Moon itself TRANSFORM into the best Arcadia homage/parody ever. I ooohed, aahhhed and laughed all at the same time.

I've adopted a new motto regarding GAINAX: Wait.

My patience has finally been rewarded. It may be time to reconsider my divorce.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:24 pm

Sounds like an interesting show. I'm glad to hear you're finding good stuff from GAINAX.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Daishikaze

Post by Daishikaze » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:46 pm

I don't like the look of it or what I've read about So I'm gonna pass once again. I guess my hatred for all things GAINAX since They made EVA is more deeply rooted than yours was.
Dr. Mystico: I'll build a private army of super-apes and take over Cleveland!
Cosgrove: Don't you mean the world?
Dr. Mystico: I meant the world, yes. What did I say? Cleveland? Oh, I *always* do that!