Hey Kosh and Tachyon

What's on your mind?

Moderator: kosh

Knowlton

Hey Kosh and Tachyon

Post by Knowlton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:27 am

Kosh, I saw the debate on the crappy Impulse on MAHQ and Razorclaw thinking the MSV from Gundam are the best designs. Right. What a tool. S Gundam, Z Gundam, 0080, 0083, include the best Gundam designs ever made. MSV. . . give me a break. EVen Endless Waltz is superior to those.

I don't know why you bother posting there.

Hey Tachyon, I need your help with my new logo. See this link:

http://knowltonsworld.myikonboard.com/v ... ostid=1031

Thanks and godbless.

Kuruni

MSV

Post by Kuruni » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:43 am

When he said MSV,he seem to include all of them. From MSV,Z-MSV,M-MSV to SEED-MSV.(Uhh...and Deep Striker can be count as Sentinel-MSV)

Plus,it's opinion. Nothing wrong if someone like something. :D You may say someone has a bad taste,but he isn't fool anyway. :)
Justice will never lose!

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:26 pm

Right, but to say that Okawara is better than Katoki is ridiculous. Okawara may be the original and left his mark, but this is 2004 and his designs don't look like they have kept up with the times. Katoki seems to, and his line-art is amazing. And Okawara didn't do the Deep Striker.

Just look at Gundam Wing. The whole franchise was crap. Then comes Endless Waltz. . . Katoki's Gundams are way better than Okawara.

Kuruni

Post by Kuruni » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:40 pm

I agree that Katoki is better designer IMO.

One thing you may overlook.Katoki design all of OZ's MS,except Epyon. Well,human can't be perfect. :D

I think that Okawara's big problem is how he seem to just redesign his previous work.
Justice will never lose!

Knowlton

Post by Knowlton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:31 pm

I agree with both points. I wouldn't be surprised if he came out with flashier designs for Gundam Wing, but was made to make his suits less dramatic than the Gundams. In all honesty, I thought the Leo is superb. Interesting variants and a great first ever production type MS. The rest. . . not so good. Well, I like the Tallgeese II. Besides that, the Dolls, Maguanacs, ships (especially the Doll carrier) = garbage. The Taurus grew on me, but that was only after I got the Limited Model.

The thing is, he went on to design the Endless Waltz versions and the Serpent. All rock. So I think when he is allowed, he comes up with brilliant designs, but how would it look if you actually had a series where Katoki's work destroyed Okawara's designs in the same series? Especially is Okawara was doing the Gundams, and everyone hated them and loved Katoki's bad guys? Wouldn't look good for the chief designer. I bet Katoki is held back. Maybe to save Okawara's face. There are politics everywhere.

I am sure they are limited by Bandai too. The models have to use the same polycaps, so they have to be around the same size, etc etc. That is why I loved the original 0080 kits for so many years. Each had different caps. Brilliant but expensive for Bandai. We'll never see that in a series again.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:12 pm

ON DISCUSSING OTHER SITES:
Glad to see you posting again, Knowlton. Your style is always refreshing but sometimes a bit strong. Razorclaw "edited" a post of mine in the past so he isn't exactly my favorite guy but I think it's better not to sound too harsh when discussing other mecha fans here at the GEARS Online message board. MAHQ has its problems (like all sites do) but I'd like to see the conversations here steer clear of bashing on it. After all, some people really love the site and I don't want them to feel like they have to defend it when they join the discussions here.

Your site (Knowlton's World) has been around and running a message board a lot longer than GEARS Online but kosh and I are responsible for setting the atmosphere here and I just wanted to let you know how I feel about that.

ON OKAWARA VS. KATOKI:
I like Katoki designs more than Okawara's too. The thing is, Okawara's work inspired Katoki and made him want to get in the design biz. I have a hard time comparing the two directly. I'd agree that Okawara's designs are starting to repeat themselves but even well-loved authors fall into that trap when they get older. I just appreciate all the work he's done in the past to help mecha shows break away from the super robot style that used to dominate the genre.

In the years ahead it would be good for Okawara to step back more and more. I'm concerned that people might get too caught up in their veneration for the old master and keep hiring him for projects when he should be passing the torch.

ON GUNDAM WING:
I didn't much care for the mecha designs in Wing when it first came out but they've grown on me. After seeing Endless Waltz' designs, I did get the impression that Katoki was being kept down. Still, he did get his last word in. His own versions of the 5 Gundams from the TV series have been published in hobby magazines and other places. Even though he's made to play 2nd fiddle sometimes, at least no one's suppressing his designs.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

kosh

Post by kosh » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:37 pm

Just checked the forum today and I must say well said Tachyon.If we get into bashing on other mecha sites,we're no better than the sites we've had personal problems with.Let them say what they will,by staying away from bashing,GOL can ride above the petty squabbles that plague other sites.

As far as the Okawara/Katoki debate goes,everyone has their own taste.I prefer Katoki because his designs are so well thought out and executed,but Okawaras' designs are just as good,just older in style.It's like comparing a '57 Chevy and a '04 Porche,the Chevy may not be as well appointed as the Porche,but it's a classic that will always be loved for what it is.Okawaras designs may be dated and a bit rehashed,but a classic is a classic,and there's always room for them with the fans.
Do you understand?