Volks' Mighty Series

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

superdupont

Volks' Mighty Series

Post by superdupont » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:00 pm

On hlj, the description of Volks' Mighty Series set states :

"Each mech comes with perfectly cast clear resin pieces for the armor. A special pearl powder is included to be applied to the clear pieces to get the proper translucent effect"

What was that "special pearl powder" ? How was it applied, is there a way to get a similar material somewhere ?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Pearl powder is simply an additive that you can add to paint, or better yet, to a clear medium for airbrushing. It was pioneered by the automotive industry in the late 70s, but has become fairly common-place nowadays; you can find a good quality pearl powder in a multitude of hues & colors at any good art store.
John F. Moscato

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:27 pm

Ok ! So I guess you have to mix it with clear cote and airbrush the thing ?

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:10 pm

superdupont wrote:Ok ! So I guess you have to mix it with clear cote and airbrush the thing ?
That would be best, I think.

For me, since I don't have access to an airbrush right now (or rather, I HAVE one, but no suitable place to use it), I've found an alternate method for pearl finishes.

Testors makes a clear gloss pearlcoat spray(can) in their car model paint line, all you do is spray it over your paint job to get a pearlescent effect. I'm really rather pleased with it, although obviously it won't be as flexible in terms of options as airbrushing.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:58 pm

Testors... While I like some of their stuff very much, availability here in France is unpredictable at best, I'll check with my local model store or see if another brand makes something similar.
Right now I have no airbrush, although I've been planning to get one for some time... Maybe for Christmas, or when I get a raise.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:33 pm

Tamiya has something similar in its spray cans, or so it seems : TS-65 Pearl Clear, "A pearly colored overcoat spray to give any color a super metallic look". I'll try and get one, the guy at my model store is very unsure about getting any Testors paint.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:54 am

You can probably find something similar at a hardware store, without the hefty modelling brand name price.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:08 pm

Not so sure... What I've seen so far wasn't terrific, or it was car paint which was (marginally) more expensive than model paint... Plus I like to spend money at my model store. 8)

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:20 am

You should check out the craft stores for PearlEX brand pearl powders. You can add it any clear medium you want. I have been adding it to urethatn furniture varnish for my LED Raid GIG.

An option to airbrushes are some simple spray adapters that turn a bottle of paint and an propellant can into a kind of spray can. But propellant cans get expensive quick.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1933-AA.shtml

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:20 pm

Just a random question, in the volks mighty series (not that I'm gonna buy it, I wish I could), but what's the content of that ?
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b64052266

The 3 sets of armor + 3 MH frames ?
Or only 1 frame ? (though it would be stupid, and for such a price...)

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:27 pm

If I'm getting this correctly, the first release of the Mighty Series came with 4 set of frame and 4 sets of armor. The extra set of armor and frame is for the orange version of the LED B4. Later batches only came with the extra set of armor, but not the frame.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:51 pm

I don't know about the first part of the story, that it originally c/w 4 set.

But the 2nd part of your story is true. And to make up for the extra skeleton to match the armor, Volks shop local in japan sells it. Well worth the money
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:33 am

It's 3 frames 4 armor.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:03 am

Someone from a HK board bought an original set of Mighty Series and said that his was the first batch release that also came with an extra set of frame for the B4. That's the reason why I thought it initially came with 4 sets of frame and armor.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:24 pm

M'kay, nice set, maybe when I'll have some money and painting skills^^