Schell Bullet kit? taking the plunge!

Photos and talk about mecha modelling

Moderator: kosh

machine mess

Schell Bullet kit? taking the plunge!

Post by machine mess » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:23 am

I'm excited and scared at the same time.

My interest in modelling has long been focused toward the sculpting side of the hobby. After doing endless mods on a number of kits I started wanting to do a major scratchbuild or even produce my own garage kit.

As is my way with such things, I did a ton of internet research on sculpting and casting. The E2046 community is a great resource for this, I discovered, and I followed lots of links from the Gears FSS Modelling board.

My Micro Mark resin casting kit arrived yesterday and I have begun my maiden voyage.

my subject:

http://www.gearsonline.net/schellbullet ... slave1.gif

I think this is a lovely design and thanks to its legless/headlessness (I suppose I will have to put some sort of head under that huge cowl/wing thing) the sculpt doesn't look completely overwhelming to me. I'm hoping to do it in about 12 to 15 separate pieces - more like a figure kit than a mecha. The one I have started with is the waist section and I'll build out from there. The completed work (if there ends up being one) will be 8 - 10 inches tall, so, although officially "non-scale" it will look nice alongside 1/100 FSS kits. I hope I can sculpt enough detail on it to make it worthy of this size.

I hope I don't fail miserably.

I'll post pics when I take some, which should be soon.

Wish me luck :wink:

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:56 am

Here's wishing you the best of luck! That sounds like an exciting project. Please keep us posted.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:23 am

the first half of the mold for the first rough piece is done...

more tomorrow, I hope...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:24 am

sculpted the forearm today from sculpey.

over cooked it a little.

still have to do some sanding and filing to sharpen the details and smooth the surfaces.

I might do a different version of the same part to see if I can improve upon my first try. I didn't want to make it too blocky and cylindrical.

If you have any feedback on the design of my parts, please write because I want to make this thing as good as possible and 2 (3,4,etc.) heads are almost always better than one. I won't take anything "the wrong way" so don't worry :D

I'm gonna demold the second half of that mold I started yesterday in 20 minutes.

more tomorrow, I'd imagine.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:15 pm

here's the completed mold that I will use to cast the rough form of the lower chest-waist-upper hips

and here's the original part that I used for recasting, previously seen wrapped in orange tape to smooth out some of its rough spots and cover some openings that ran all the way through the part and that would have created a nightmare if I'd tried to mold them uncovered.

it's actually the insides of an MG Quebley forearm subassembly, so I feel good about "cannibalising" it for use in sculpting this Nagano design.

did some work sharpening up the lines and smoothing out the surfaces of the sculpey forearm seen previously in its slighty overcooked form. I want to use it for both left and right arms and I think I can do it, but the necessary symmetry is tough to achieve.

see you again soon, I hope :wink:

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:27 pm

well, here's the raw version of the waist part:

first in the mold

mold opened up

demolded, with all the sprue intact

cleaned up a little bit

now I'll wait 'til it's fully hardened and get down to business smoothing and refining it.

I must say, I haven't had this much fun in a very long time :D

see you again soon

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:43 am

here are some new pics

the torso is getting smoother

the wrist shields are roughed out (actually pretty smooth for first the step, especially compared with how the forearm came out in its rough form)

Getting the forearm pretty close to its final form for casting. Spent a good 2 hours on it this afternoon. Time flies when your picking away at a tiny little sculpture. The symmetry is pretty solid at this point, so I will be able to use it for both left and right arms.

this is one of the hands I'm going to recast. I ordered some jeweler's microcrystalline wax to fill in the little holes and gaps and to lock the fingers in place for casting. We'll see how that idea works.

still having fun.

let me know what you think :)

Engage

Post by Engage » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:56 am

Wow! That is really cool! I wish I had enough time on my hands to create my own resin model. The Schell Slave is an awesome design and I can't wait for you to finish! I wish you the best of luck!

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:05 pm

fresh pics from yesterday's efforts.

right arm shield

right forearm

left arm shield

left forearm
of course the two forearms are really one piece, just flipped over until I can cast a copy.

the outside of the forearm

the inside of the forearm

really pleased with how smooth and sharp everything is coming out. I discovered that this new knife I bought - a little thing that works like a click ball-point pen - is the most amazing tool for sharpening and deepening details impressed into the baked sculpey.

I got the jeweler's wax yesterday for the hands. hope it works, and I hope to get to it this weekend sometime.

Gotta work on that wild and wavy armor skirting too - that oughta be a challenge :D

errol

Post by errol » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:27 pm

Looking good!

Gpenguin

Post by Gpenguin » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:53 pm

looks good!

just remember to be careful with the sculpey, as it has a tendency of cracking because of inner tensions sometimes.
I recommend trying out an epoxy putty for the smaller details.
or even better, casteline ( love that stuff :D )

anyhow, good luck!

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:51 pm

I made a rather nice mold of the hands over the weekend. here's the last scan I did before I had to reformat my hard drive, which is still a work in progress at this time.

this is the first step: mounting the hands in the oil-based clay before pouring the first half of the mold. the dark brown stuff is the jeweler's wax I mentioned above. This stuff filled in the gaps in the joints like a dream - except the melting point of the wax is very close to the melting point of the vinyl that the fingers are made of :x

and then...

I was sketch-sculpting the upper arm for much of the day yesterday and in the evening I realized that my forearm is quite wrong. I shaped it as a single piece with a single sharp edge along the inside of the arm, when it should be two pieces: an outer shell that wraps around the outside and terminates in two sharp edges on the inside that frame a hollow area that houses an inner piece with mechanical detail on it. I think I got too caught up in seeing the design as a figure model, not a mecha model. wrong. the real tipoff was trying to get the elbow joint to go together.

I don't know what I was thinking - even as far back as L-Gaim Nagano-sama has pretty much always avoided completely enclosed forearms. A quick look through the mortar headds and schells galleries here yields the general rule of thumb that his designs have forearms that are open on the body side and fully enclosed upper arms.

back to the drawing board...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:55 pm

the hands came out nicely, but not the first time:

this is what happens when you put the freshly poured cast into a "foodsaver" vacuum packing machine and suck all the resin out so that you get a crappy, hollow cast. Not recommended.

this, however, is the second try. no vacuuming = much better.

trimmed up a bit:

I'm pretty happy with 'em. the detail is better than what the scans show.