1/144 MM Last Junchoon???

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

1/144 MM Last Junchoon???

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:00 pm

A small kit with long list of problems.

Although it is a free-pose kit, the joints were too small to get any kind of good pose out of it without making it look stiff. So, I decided to utilize my spare p-caps and joints from Volks MM kits and here's what I got going right now.

Holes were drilled at various areas so caps and joints can be inserted. Epoxy putty was used in some of those areas to keep the p-caps in place.

I'm still trying to figure out what and how I should go about adding joints to the knee. If I manage to do so I may be able to duplicate the pose from the Ending Scene.

P.S. Don't mind the sword, I'll have to scratch one later...

DN

Post by DN » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:49 am

It's most Detail in 1/144. this model of Volk? It's seem 1/144 WAVE. :o

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:56 am

This kit is neither Volks or Wave. It was sculpted by Syujyu back in 2004 for the purpose of Factories Alliance Challenge. He is now a sculptor for Wave. You can check out his site:

http://hb7.seikyou.ne.jp/home/syujyu/home.html

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:37 pm

You want to add moving joints to the knees ? Or have them in a fixed pose but with the leg at an angle ?

errol

Post by errol » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:21 pm

Is that a 1/144 Hydra Mirage on his site? Really like the last Junchoon.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:31 pm

Yep that's an hydra mirage, nice one, I love the "alien juggernaut" style of this MH.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:25 pm

superdupont wrote:You want to add moving joints to the knees ? Or have them in a fixed pose but with the leg at an angle ?
Correct, I want to think of a way to add joints in that area to allow the knees to be bent.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:26 pm

errol wrote:Is that a 1/144 Hydra Mirage on his site? Really like the last Junchoon.
There's no 1/144 Hydra Mirage. It is Volks 1/100.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:28 pm

errol wrote:Is that a 1/144 Hydra Mirage on his site? Really like the last Junchoon.
It's not a 1/144 Hydra Mirage. *EDIT* It's a build of Volks' 1/100 Hydra Mirage.
Last edited by KOG on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:29 pm

Sheizzel wrote:
superdupont wrote:You want to add moving joints to the knees ? Or have them in a fixed pose but with the leg at an angle ?
Correct, I want to think of a way to add joints in that area to allow the knees to be bent.

Something like a bicycle fork, you drill a hole across the upper leg part, put an axis in it, then the axis has to be fitted with the upper part inside the lower leg part. You may have to drill the lower part to have something clean to put the axis in.
Ahem not sure it's clear, I could make a 3d view to explain my idea better, the bicycle fork is the best analogy that comes to mind.
Maybe precise pics of the parts around the knees would help.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Hi Sheizzel.

I know that both Wave and Yellow Submarine make double-joints, which would be perfect for the knee on your kit. The latter also makes double-jointed acrylic ball-joints, though I have no idea if they'd be small enough for your model.
John F. Moscato

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:19 pm

I'm actually looking at my Volks MM kits to get ideas on how to go about adding posability to the knee area.

John, thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about getting some YellowSubmarine joints for my other kits. I've always wanted to try them as they seem to make good joints.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:00 pm

You won't be disappointed with the Yellow Submarine jonts: I've used them for both my Tachikoma and Regult models with great results.

If anything, I'd recommend them highly for absolutely all of the MM series 1/100 kits. The large ball-joints are surprisingly tough, and can be made even tougher: I've coated the ball part with a layer of CA glue, and then sanded it lightly to give it a rougher surface. Once you place the ball into the socket portion, the rougher, CA-covered ball yields even more friction/resistance, and the end result is a joint that's strong enough to work on even Volks' massive MM Arcanna Siren. :)
John F. Moscato