So, why does Amaterasu decide to conquer the Joker Galaxy?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tomexe

So, why does Amaterasu decide to conquer the Joker Galaxy?

Post by Tomexe » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:45 am

Since I was bored and had a few moments I was looking at my FSS again, and I was looking at the Chronology. I was wondering about what is going to happen that causes Amaterasu decide on system wide conquest? Right now, as far as we have gone in the English version, we have seen him refuse to reatliate for Bosjaforts attack on Float Temple. What is going to come that changes him and leads him to become more assertive? What changes someone who is so laid back?

What I thought was going to happen, when the character of Bosjaforth was introduced, was that HE was going to be the vehicle. That Amaterasu's period of conquest was really his pursuit of if this evil being who is now immortal AND also non-corporal- and thus can assume other identities and move from place to place even if you "kill" him in one location. Plus since this is a diver matter, its something that the galaxy at large doesn't know about and perhaps would not understand even if they did know about it.

Thus each time Bosjafort, or a ailias, or one of his minions appears in a country it results in the AKD being forced to invade and take over the country. But the public at large doesnt understand- especaily as this contest takes place over three generations- so Amaterasu has to bear also being considered a tyrant as every place he invades he winds up taking over. Even though its may only be to prevent a power vacume because the previous administration had been destroyed in the latest outbreak of violence, or because its the only way to keep Bosjafort from reentring the places Ama had just kicked him out of...

But from the outside it looks like Amaterasu is a megalomaniac.

However, the last books, now that we are really starting the Majestic Stand bring up complications. For one thing we are now told that only Magdoll can defeat Bosjaforth-not Ama because he cant fully unseal his god powers in Joker. But this also implies that Bosjaforth will eventually be defeated- but then if he is gone and the Majestic Stand over then what motivation will there be for Ama to take over the system?

Has anyone else given any thought on where this is going to go? Plus Nagano has been deviating-or perhaps "revising" would be a better term- the script so is anything we have been led to beleve in the past really valid?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:03 pm

An excellent topic. I can only offer a little input on this one.

I had always thought of Amaterasu 84th's conquest of the Joker worlds as being very similar to the end of the Warring States period in Japan (which I think was the 1500's). Basically, Oda Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu (who won out in the end) were conquering the nation to bring unity and thus an end to the state of constant warfare.

It seemed from reading the translation of book 2 of FSS that Amaterasu finally gets so upset by the constant warfare and destruction that he starts taking things over just to bring about some sort of peace. However, his plans are turned on their ear when Lachesis disappears. Also, he sees that his conquest has generated a lot of unrest. So, he puts Upandla on the throne knowing that Upandla will do a lousy job and the rest of the Joker worlds will unite against the AKD. Once the AKD is toppled, there will be unity and peace.

I could be way off, but that's how I had been seeing the greater story.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:14 pm

Tachyon wrote:An excellent topic. I can only offer a little input on this one.

I had always thought of Amaterasu 84th's conquest of the Joker worlds as being very similar to the end of the Warring States period in Japan (which I think was the 1500's). Basically, Oda Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu (who won out in the end) were conquering the nation to bring unity and thus an end to the state of constant warfare.

It seemed from reading the translation of book 2 of FSS that Amaterasu finally gets so upset by the constant warfare and destruction that he starts taking things over just to bring about some sort of peace. However, his plans are turned on their ear when Lachesis disappears. Also, he sees that his conquest has generated a lot of unrest. So, he puts Upandla on the throne knowing that Upandla will do a lousy job and the rest of the Joker worlds will unite against the AKD. Once the AKD is toppled, there will be unity and peace.

That's pretty much how I had thought of it as well.

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:21 am

But which one IS he?

Is he Nobunaga? That means he will die (or leave) early leaving the job half finished. There is some support for this because Upandora takes his place towards the end.

Is he Hideyoshi? That means he will be betrayed by a close ally who takes over for him. There is some support in that Colus may be the next real leader and the Colus line was always a supporter of Amaterasu.

Is he Tokugawa Ieasu? Then he has to have some kind of progeny that sticks around. this is the hardest one because both he, Lacesis and Karen leave for the Taika galaxy.

The Japanese aphorism that I have learned is: "Nobunaga put the pie together, Hideyoshi baked it, and Tokugawa ate it."

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:49 am

interesting analysis! :) i never would have thought of getting Upandla will actually bring unity in the joker system!

on a side note, what will Viewlard tell Amat that trigger his desire to conquer the joker system? any clue?

wps

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:19 am

junchoon wrote:

interesting analysis! :) i never would have thought of getting Upandla will actually bring unity in the joker system!

on a side note, what will Viewlard tell Amat that trigger his desire to conquer the joker system? any clue?

wps
Or at the very least, trigger his invasion and conquest of Addler.

I'm wondering if the FEMC's foray into Kallamity (& Both) may, in fact, be triggered by this conquest of Addler? Who knows, this invasion may be seen as an act of agression by the other nations of Joker, and may begin an escalation of posturing from the likes of Fillmore and other nations; possibly adding fuel to the chaotic fire left behind by the remnants of the Majestic stand.

Knowing Nagano, anything's possible :)
John F. Moscato

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:19 am

Here are my preditions. I know its useless to try and second-guess Nagano, but I'll give it a shot.

The Majestic Stand taxes the resources of several of the galaxy's superpowers most especialy Hathua and Fillmore. There is a massive shift in the political balance and those nations unaffected by the Sorceror Wars take advantage of the political vacuum caused by its wake.

As Mission Routh's health begins to fade, the nations of the Rent Republic begin to bicker and their union is in danger of disintigrating. Nations outside of the Republic take advantage of the situation to cause chaos and dissent amongst Republic nations to hasten its demise. Border skirmishes and lethal encounters increase in frequency. Viewlards dying request to Amaterasu: "Save my nation and my people" Amaterasu determines the only way to do this is through incorporating Lent into the AKD...but doing so would give the AKD a sizeable territory on Addler and this would be seen as a move to invade by other nations of Addler, including Bakkin Rakkin. War would be unavoidable, but a dying wish cannot go unfulfilled, so the Mirages prepare for war...

The AKD's success in invading Addler scares the bejeezus out of all the superpowers in Joker. Having the resources of the entire Eastern star system as its disposal makes the AKD the single most powerful political entity in the entire cluster. If only Fillmore and Hathua were at their full strength, together they would be able to ward the galaxy from the power hungry AKD, but that is no longer the case.

The AKD invades Both in order to instill order in an ever increasingly chaotic world. This proves to the other nations of Joker that the AKD intends to conquer all of Joker and thus they prepare for war...

Hmm...with Nagano, we never know what he's going to come up with. I could be way off base...
Shinei!

Zoxesyr

Post by Zoxesyr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:07 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Hmm...with Nagano, we never know what he's going to come up with. I could be way off base...
I just had a thought...What if he really IS using japanese history?...Then the internecene wars could just a be prelude to the return of the Phaeros of Canaan returning, or their successors, ala the US Black Ships and Admiral Perry.