Volks SSS re-issue on the way :D :twisted:
http://www.volks.co.jp/jp/fss/index_fss.aspx
?????
Tell me this is so not true.....
Blue Armours, Apache ???
and the suggested rrp.... WoW

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:03 am

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised at their choice of reissues. Especially the KOG and Patriarch SSS. The newer clear-armored SAV kits just blow those out of the water... Albeit at a much higher price.

I wish they'd reissue the Siren A. I just love that design, and it'd look sweet next to my Arcanna :)
John F. Moscato

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:21 am

Is your arcanna finished?

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:32 am

yoohoo... KOG... fresh batch of shiny sliver boxes available 8)

Either Volks is filling in time... or they have given up on new FSS resins. I'm hoping it's the former.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:34 pm

elemental wrote:Is your arcanna finished?
Hi Elemental.

No, not quite, I'm just having fun test-fitting it. I must confess that I have a soft spot for the heavy MH designs though; they just seem so much more utilitarian and weathering-friendly because of their massive armored sections.
John F. Moscato

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:40 pm

elemental wrote:yoohoo... KOG... fresh batch of shiny sliver boxes available 8)

Either Volks is filling in time... or they have given up on new FSS resins. I'm hoping it's the former.
They may simply have taken a page from the Work Shop Cast manual of GK production: invest a lot of time and care into making a fine quality master model, and then rather than just producing one batch and binning the masters, keep re-issuing the kit periodically for as long as there's demand for it. Once the cost of the master is paid-off over the first production run, subsequent runs become more lucrative since you only have your normal material costs. Better for them, and better for us.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:30 pm

Holy Crap!

SSS re-issue!!!

I'm in heaven!!!!!

*faints*

Well well... I might have to start setting aside some cash. I'd be quit interested in original Schpeltor, KOG AT, Vai O La, Horned Mirage, and Blood Temple. I already have originals of the others, except Apache (I've already built my recast and won't want to build another) and Terror Mirage (which I'm building now).

But yeah, I could see myself going for a few of those others...
elemental wrote:yoohoo... KOG... fresh batch of shiny sliver boxes available 8)

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:43 pm

I have to admit that I'm a bit surprised at their choice of reissues. Especially the KOG and Patriarch SSS. The newer clear-armored SAV kits just blow those out of the water... Albeit at a much higher price.

I'm not surprised at all. A lot of those SSS MH aren't available in any other 1/100 form. Like Blue Armor or Horned Mirage for example...

And others like Terror Mirage and Auge which face a bit more competition still stand up well thanks to great sculpting and attractive fixed pose designs.

As for the KOG and KOG AT... they are something entirely different from the V3s. Sure, the clear armor kits are great, but only if you WANT to build a V3. What if someone wants to build the old style KOG? Detail on the SSS KOGs is actually very good, and compares well vs WSC. They actually have more detail than WSC in some areas.

I already have an original SSS KOG, but SSS KOG AT will be high on my shopping list when the re-issues become available.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:03 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:I wish they'd reissue the Siren A. I just love that design, and it'd look sweet next to my Arcanna :)
If you're desperate enough to go through Y!J, you may be in luck:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e50425551
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g37331203

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:11 pm

KOG wrote:

As for the KOG and KOG AT... they are something entirely different from the V3s. Sure, the clear armor kits are great, but only if you WANT to build a V3. What if someone wants to build the old style KOG?

There's the newer KoG/Buster SSS kit, which is supposed to represent the 2988 version;). Granted, it's not in a "handsome" pose, but it's quite dynamic. If Volks wanted to, they could always just "retro-grade" the clear SAV kits with a buster launcher & flat heels, I think that would look super

Detail on the SSS KOGs is actually very good, and compares well vs WSC. They actually have more detail than WSC in some areas.

Agreed. The kits are pretty big too; my biggest gripe is that a lot of parts were combined for molding, which makes painting a bitch, and details are made more shallow in the joints to avoid ripping the molds. That's why I feel the newer SAV kits are the bomb: frame with separate outer armor. Just gives the model a more realistic feel.

I already have an original SSS KOG, but SSS KOG AT will be high on my shopping list when the re-issues become available.
Last edited by John F. Moscato on Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:14 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:
KOG wrote:

As for the KOG and KOG AT... they are something entirely different from the V3s. Sure, the clear armor kits are great, but only if you WANT to build a V3. What if someone wants to build the old style KOG? Detail on the SSS KOGs is actually very good, and compares well vs WSC. They actually have more detail than WSC in some areas.

?

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:35 pm

There's the newer KoG/Buster SSS kit, which is supposed to represent the 2988 version;). Granted, it's not in a "handsome" pose, but it's quite dynamic. If Volks wanted to, they could always just "retro-grade" the clear SAV kits with a buster launcher & flat heels, I think that would look super
Yep, I know of that kit of course. I have an original even. And yet I still find myself appreciating the old SSS. Don't get me wrong, I love the SSS2002. It's very big and impressive, and I love the pose. But it's... sort of a stand-alone piece, you know? The size and pose mean that it can't really stand comfortably side-by-side with a lot of other items in my collection. The SSS (or the WSC) is better suited for this purpose. And you know, remarkable as this may sound, some people don't like the SSS2002. Shocking, I know. :P
And as good as the SSS2002 is, there are still some details missing from it. Well, maybe not 'missing', depending on how strictly you want Volks to interpret recent artwork... but there are definitely decorative bits on the old SSS that you don't find on the SSS2002. Now, for the KOG AT... I think I consider the SSS to be the best resin 1/100 available at the moment. The old kaiyodo has its charms, but the proportions are distinctly 're-interpreted'. And the MM, well... we all know about MMs. And sadly, WSC has no KOG AT. I really wonder why, sometimes. Ikushima could convert the old KOG kit into an AT version so easily...
The idea of Volks re-issuing the clear armor kits as pre-V3 versions is a good one, and I'd gladly buy those kits. But they'd still have an issue with being much bigger than almost everything else on my shelf. :)
So yeah, even aside from all the intricacies of sculpting and detailing... I really want the old SSS KOGs so that I can have KOGs of the same size as (most of) the rest of my Volks collection.

Agreed. The kits are pretty big too; my biggest gripe is that a lot of parts were combined for molding, which makes painting a bitch, and details are made more shallow in the joints to avoid ripping the molds. That's why I feel the newer SAV kits are the bomb: frame with separate outer armor. Just gives the model a more realistic feel.
Well, yeah, all the SSS kits tended to cut down on the number of parts. I know this makes painting more difficult, but I do value the ease of construction. Since the kits are made of much fewer parts, they just feel so much more sturdy when finished...

I'm very much in the minority here, I know, but I really love the SSS series. Fun little kits to build, and the sculpts have a lot of 'character'. I just hope I can save enough cash to get the kits I want when the re-issues hit HLJ or Y!J auctions...

I've already built SSS LED Mirage Amaterasu, Apache, Cross Mirage Male... and now I'm working on SSS Terror Mirage. And if you can believe it, SSS kits are filling my current 'to do' list. I plan to move on to SSS Water Dragon or Vai O La next... hopefully the originals will hit the market soon.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:58 pm

Wow, I'm quite surprise to see this batch of reissues...

I can only imagine what's going through the minds of those who spent big money to get the same kits not too long ago.

It is certainly a great deal to get these kits for the original price from way back then, even if they are smaller than kits from nowadays. Also, you get the silver box treatment and what I assume will be the same top notch casting as we're used to seeing from Volks :D .

If I can, I would like to get a Terror^^.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:21 pm

Mmmm... brand new tan resin casts of Vai O La, Blood Temple, Horned Mirage... in shiny new silver boxes. Can't wait!

sharky

Post by sharky » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:12 pm

I just got the following from HLJ about the SSS re-issue
Good afternoon,

At the moment the kits are available for order only on VOLKS'
website; we may eventually be able to purchase them but we cannot
guarantee this. We apologise for this inconvenience and appreciate your
understanding.

Many thanks for your business with HobbyLink Japan!

Katrina Somers
HLJ Products
HobbyLink Japan
I hope they can get their hands on some of them.....