Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Depictions of Emperor Amaterasu the 84th

Post by Tachyon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:17 am

http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/characters/amaterasu.php

Take a look at the old and the new images of Emperor Amaterasu. In the old image, he looks a lot more human and approachable than in the more recent images from Nagano.

Just my own impression but I think this is intentional. To me, the old image looks like Amaterasu shortly after he ascended the throne. His powers and awareness were still pretty close to diver/headdliner levels. Thus, he looks more human.

In the more recent images it looks like the Amaterasu I'd imagine around the time of the Juno invasion. More powerful and alienated from regular human life.

What do you guys think?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:08 pm

My feeling would be not only about humanity but about gender, too. In the early pic he looks more like a man (wow ! Amaterasu looking like a man ! lol), while the late pics show a definitely feminine person, and the red eyes are more prominent. So it seems to depict an evolution from a human being to something different, which seems to fit the plot (not that women are not human... errr... just that changing of gender isn't a human habit).
On the other hand it could as well just be a drawing style change :wink: I'm under the impression that there is a progressive style shift, from manga-ish to more anime-ish. That said I still don't have the whole collection of FSS volumes. And I'm no manga (or anime !) expert. But the English vol 26 someway reminds me of High School / Kimengumi / le collège fou fou fou (depending on language... I know what it was in French, not sure for others)...

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:16 pm

Hi Tachyon, thanks for the update :)

I guess whether or not the Emperor's new look is just penmanship or divine evolution will be clearer if we see Nagano draw Sopp or Rince in subsequent volumes. Personally, I like your evolution theory; it fits very well with the character.
John F. Moscato

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 pm

superdupont wrote:not that women are not human... errr... just that changing of gender isn't a human habit
Uh, people do do it, though....

AnM himself just seems godly and majestic to me, but wow... that's some neat new art