WORK SHOP CAST CHECKLIST

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:30 pm

junchoon wrote:hi KOG... tani has a 1/100 Terror Mirage? since when? any pic? also, the Yen-Xing in 1/100 scale? i thought non-scale? hmm...

wps

Tani did sculpt a 1/100 Terror Mirage that had one of its legs standing on top of a rock-like base.

Yen-Xing was listed as non-scale in Model Graphix, but 1/100 sounds about right. This kit is huge, over 30cm in height, if I remember correctly. With that said, I think 1/100 is the correct scale.

So far I can only find this picture of Tani's 1/100 Terror:

Last edited by Sheizzel on Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:40 pm

"I would say it's not quite fair to judge the fellow based on such a limited sampling of his works."

The criteria I use to judge Tani's works are the same as those I'd use to judge offerings from Volks or WSC or anyone else; I have no bias against him in any way. Like most people living outside of Japan, I have to base pretty much all of my FSS model purchases on photos from the usual gaggle of magazines (Hobby J, MG, Dengeki, etc.) That having been said, all contenders vying for my hard-earned capital are essentially on an even playing-ground, and I gravitate toward the model that I (personally) like based on what I see.

It's not as though I haven't owned anything Tani's sculpted, it's simply that I personally prefer the works from Volks & WSC most of the time, because they offer a proportion/detail balance that is more in tune with what I want in a MH kit.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 pm

junchoon wrote:hi KOG... tani has a 1/100 Terror Mirage? since when? any pic? also, the Yen-Xing in 1/100 scale? i thought non-scale? hmm...

wps
As for the Terror Mirage, it's been around a long time. But it's not seen very often for some reason. Looks like Sheizzel already provided a pic, so I won't bother searching for one.

As for the Yen Xing, it's technically listed as non-scale - only because the official measurements for the Yen Xing aren't specified anywhere. So the Yen Xing kit is based on a 'best guess' of what the measurements should be. Since there's no official measurements to base the kit on, it can't technically be labelled as a precise 1/100. But it's close enough to 1/100 for me to call it 1/100...

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:44 pm

Truly, it's hard to make buying decisions based on the limited coverage these kits get in magazines. And it's even harder when you're considering kits that either appeared in mags many years ago, or somehow didn't get covered at all...

I'm a bit more bold than most perhaps (and quite a bit more MH-obsessed), in that I'm willing to take a chance and buy a kit based on heresay and reputation, rather than based on firsthand detailed observation of the kit (whether it's looking at parts or looking at finished photos). So I have quite a few versions of most MH, and I'm always willing to share my impressions of individual kits.

Here's some places where you can get more detailed views of some of the Tani kits you haven't owned:

Vincent Valentine's (aka Touya Akira's, aka Amaterasu no Mikado's) excellent build of the A Toll Scritti:

http://s89202096.onlinehome.us/atoll/atoll.htm

The Northern Gloss website's competent Speed Mirage:

http://glosshf.fc2web.com/public_html/cloud-topu.html

Batman's rather nicer build of the Speed Mirage:

http://batman2001.cool.ne.jp/gallery/FS ... ges/p4.htm

And just for kicks, Batman's rendition of the Yen Xing (so you can see it built). Paint job isn't ideal in my eyes, but you can still appreciate the kit itself:

http://batman2001.cool.ne.jp/gallery/FS ... ges/p8.htm

I'm afraid that the Tani Blood Temple is so uncommon, that I don't know of any sites that feature finished builds of it...

Generally speaking, Tani stuff isn't in 1/100, and many of his subjects aren't covered by either WSC or Volks, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of real competition. Scritti and Yen Xing are not offered by Volks or WSC, and the only other Blood Temple in 1/100 is the tiny Volks Super Spirits Series version. The SSS version has its charms, to be sure, but if I could only pick one to own, i'd prefer the Tani version. It's more in tune with WSC and recent Volks sizing for starters... and the sculpting really is quite nice.

Speed Mirage and Terror Mirage are the kits which face stiffer competition in the 1/100 world... I don't own Tani's Terror so I won't comment on it. For the Speed Mirage though... I'd say it's quite good indeed, and I hope that comes across in some of the photos I've linked to above. The Tani kit totally trounces the Volks MM Speed Mirage... and I guess it's a matter of taste whether one prefers the WSC or the Tani. Personally though, the infinitely superior pose really sells the Tani Speed Mirage for me.

John F. Moscato wrote:"I would say it's not quite fair to judge the fellow based on such a limited sampling of his works."

The criteria I use to judge Tani's works are the same as those I'd use to judge offerings from Volks or WSC or anyone else; I have no bias against him in any way. Like most people living outside of Japan, I have to base pretty much all of my FSS model purchases on photos from the usual gaggle of magazines (Hobby J, MG, Dengeki, etc.) That having been said, all contenders vying for my hard-earned capital are essentially on an even playing-ground, and I gravitate toward the model that I (personally) like based on what I see.

It's not as though I haven't owned anything Tani's sculpted, it's simply that I personally prefer the works from Volks & WSC most of the time, because they offer a proportion/detail balance that is more in tune with what I want in a MH kit.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:54 pm

Here's a site that has some pictures of the Blood Temple in its raw state.

http://user.chollian.net/~minvd/fss/bte/index.html

I must say, underfoot detailing is one area which Tani shows off his skills.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:13 pm

Sheizzel wrote:Here's a site that has some pictures of the Blood Temple in its raw state.

http://user.chollian.net/~minvd/fss/bte/index.html

I must say, underfoot detailing is one area which Tani shows off his skills.
Nice.

Thanks Sheizzel.

Some other areas that strike me as quite nice are the back of the knee joint, and the back of the shield.

And I don't know if you can tell from the photos, but the sizing of this kit feels quite WSC-esque. It's definitely got that bulky WSC feel.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:59 am

Sheizzel,

thanks for the photo of Tani's Terror.

KOG,

i understand what u meant by 1/100 for Yen-Xing now. thanks. so when will we see the Yen-Xing being built? soon i hope :)

wps

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:07 am

KOG wrote:
As for the Yen Xing, it's technically listed as non-scale - only because the official measurements for the Yen Xing aren't specified anywhere.
Only because...? Without official dimensions, it can only be non-scale. As you said, there are no listed details on the exact size of Yen-Xing, but furthermore, when it appeared in the manga it wasn't drawn in such a way that a nice simple size comparison (to a human, for example) could be made. It could be normal MH size, it could be Jagd mirage size... no one really knows. All we do know is that a Yen-Xing engine fits inside The Empress. And that a Chivalry/Chevalier/whatever they are called fits inside a Yen-Xing. :)
So the Yen Xing kit is based on a 'best guess' of what the measurements should be.
I'm not quite sure what you mean there. Tani didn't guess anything with regards to what the measurements should be. His sculpt is based entirely on preportions (and I think he did a pretty good job at getting them right).
Since there's no official measurements to base the kit on, it can't technically be labelled as a precise 1/100. But it's close enough to 1/100 for me to call it 1/100...
It can't be labelled as anything other than no-scale, which it is. Thankfully. :wink: Tani obviously made a conscious decision to make his Yen-Xing more or less the same size as most regular 1:100's, but that does not mean it is 1:100. It is non scale.

Having said all that, I do understand the gist of what you are saying... it doesn't look out of place displayed next to 1:100 MH kits, so you think of it as 1:100.

As for the Tani issue... I for one would like to see a new Volks Yen-Xing (or three :)). I think Hirai could do this design justice. My original Yen-Xing (the only Kaiyodo kit I own) is not particularly well cast and I would love to see this fantastic design rendered in CLEANLY cast Volks detail rather than somewhat badly cast Tani detail.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:11 am

Just how does one pronounce "Yen-Xing", anyway? I recall reading that it is supposed to be Chinese for Fire Star, isn't it?

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:15 pm

elemental wrote: Only because...? Without official dimensions, it can only be non-scale. As you said, there are no listed details on the exact size of Yen-Xing, but furthermore, when it appeared in the manga it wasn't drawn in such a way that a nice simple size comparison (to a human, for example) could be made. It could be normal MH size, it could be Jagd mirage size... no one really knows. All we do know is that a Yen-Xing engine fits inside The Empress. And that a Chivalry/Chevalier/whatever they are called fits inside a Yen-Xing. :)
What I meant by 'best guess' is.... Tani assumed that the Yen Xing would be more or less comparable to MH size. I think this was a safe assumption, since the Yen Xings appear to be fairly small compared to the floating warship things they are seen to slice to ribbons.
I think this assumption is supported by the fact that the Empress and Mess Auge, two other machines from the Super Empire era, are also MH-sized. If the Auge is a Machine Messiah, and the Yen Xing is a Machine Messiah... it makes plenty of sense for them to be sized similarly.

It can't be labelled as anything other than no-scale, which it is. Thankfully. :wink: Tani obviously made a conscious decision to make his Yen-Xing more or less the same size as most regular 1:100's, but that does not mean it is 1:100. It is non scale.
Yes, it's always going to be technically non-scale, until such time as official measurements are released. But frankly, I doubt that will ever happen, and I'd be surprised if the Yen Xing ever shows up in manga again.

Having said all that, I do understand the gist of what you are saying... it doesn't look out of place displayed next to 1:100 MH kits, so you think of it as 1:100.
Indeed. That's exactly how I think of it. Pretty much all of Nagano's humanoid mecha in FSS have been of roughly the same size. There's variations of course, but the only HUGELY differently sized machine is the Jagd. So until Nagano says that Yen Xing is Jagd sized, or even mini-sized... the safest assumption is that it's around the same size as its contemporary machines. Empress and Mess Auge.
In reality, the Yen Xing could be 1/110? Or 1/90? Or somewhere in between.... but I really doubt that it could be as small as 1/144, or as large as 1/72, 1/60, etc...
It's all just guesswork though. :)

As for the Tani issue... I for one would like to see a new Volks Yen-Xing (or three :)). I think Hirai could do this design justice. My original Yen-Xing (the only Kaiyodo kit I own) is not particularly well cast and I would love to see this fantastic design rendered in CLEANLY cast Volks detail rather than somewhat badly cast Tani detail.
It's always interesting how castings vary... I remember Vincent Valentine talking about how disappointed he was with his original Volks MM Bang Doll. Whereas I've found my Volks stuff to be very good. And similarly, in this case... you've got issues with your copy of the Yen Xing, whereas my copy seems pretty much flawless to me. It's all the luck of the draw I guess...

I wouldn't want to see a Volks Yen Xing, only because I'd rather see them use their limited time/resources to do more stuff that hasn't been done at all yet... even though I'm not the biggest fan of these designs, I'd still like kits of T-233, Siren R, and Groon. And I REALLY want a good Heavy Cross Mirage... but I tell ya, at this point, I'd even be happy to see Volks release a Black Phantom. They've been awfully quiet over there at Volks.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:17 pm

elemental wrote:Just how does one pronounce "Yen-Xing", anyway? I recall reading that it is supposed to be Chinese for Fire Star, isn't it?
I've always said it like 'yen zing'. I don't know how right or wrong that is.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:56 pm

I thought that 1/100 scale fits the Yen-Xing, because of the reason that Machine Messiahs were said to be bigger than the Mortar Headds. Yen-Xing was a much bigger kit than I thought it would be when I first got it. At over 30cm tall, it is bigger than than of the ordinary MH kit and that led me to assume it was a 1/100 kit, or close to.

And yep, the pronunciation for the Yen-Xing sounds about right. I'd have pronounced it as Yen-Sing or Yen-Shing.