technique for airbrush beginners

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

machine mess

technique for airbrush beginners

Post by machine mess » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:55 am

I'm one too and I've been looking around for technique guides.

I found a fabulous one that details the apparently famous "Max technique"

here's the link:

http://www.keenix.com/inprogresspages/i ... nique.html

KOG

Re: technique for airbrush beginners

Post by KOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:19 am

machine mess wrote:I'm one too and I've been looking around for technique guides.

I found a fabulous one that details the apparently famous "Max technique"

here's the link:

http://www.keenix.com/inprogresspages/i ... nique.html

Ewwww. Max techique. Shoot it! Before it multiplies!

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:23 am

what's so wrong with the Max technique?? :)

wps

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:34 am

junchoon wrote:what's so wrong with the Max technique?? :)

wps
Even when it's done 'right', I don't like how it looks. It looks so artificial and non-sensical.

And way too many people do a poor job of copying Max technique... I've seen a lot of horribly over-shaded kits around.

elemental

Post by elemental » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 am

Max technique and Mortar Headds don't mix, in my humble opinion.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:13 am

elemental wrote:Max technique and Mortar Headds don't mix, in my humble opinion.
hey, how's going down under?? :)

well, my query was more on wondering what's wrong with Max's technique in a general manner, not tied to FSS specifically. i suppose KOG has his point in stating that it look artificial. but done right on the right subject, it looks appealing. i especially like how Max did the MG Sazabi. cool built-up. :)

cheers,
wps

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:58 pm

I've seen other, much briefer desciptions of the Max Technique and they focused solely on the dark under-shading concept/execution. I get the impression that this is what others who dislike the technique dislike about it.

That said, what I find most interesting about this particular, very detailed article is that it goes at great length into various aspects of very basic paint mixing and layering as well as giving good information on adjusting air pressure and pen distance when spraying different sized parts. For experienced airbrush users, I'm sure this is all very dull stuff, but I found it fascinating.

Also, it is interesting to see people here discuss their preferences for color schemes and finishing styles. I have noticed that FSS modeling "traditions" seem to follow - as one might logically suppose - Nagano's way of what one might call "presentational" style of illustration as opposed to a "representational" style seen in other manga. I do not agree with those who I have heard badmouthing FSS art as depicting characters always "posing" in a non-naturalistic way. Instead I think that this is part of the unique charm of his illustrations. I think that his style is substantially focused on formal aspects of illustration itself, and is not always strictly functioning in the service of "storytelling."

Following from this, FSS modelling traditions mostly stay within this "presentational" style and focus on the beauty and purity of color and design (formal aspects) rather than delving into the sort of modelling-as-storytelling that many Gundam builders get into. Of course, as the article I linked above demonstrates, there is a great deal of formal technique involved in this modeling-as-storytelling style. But in Gunpla form and technique does seem to serve storytelling, while in FSS (modeling and manga) the form often approaches being a sort of meditative end in and for itself.

I could go off on a whole thing about modernism versus postmodernism here, but I won't bore you all with that :wink:

I know many if not most of the people around here love delving into story elements of FSS, but in spite of having read every English translated volume I still feel pleasantly disconnected from the story itself. It's a radically different experience from reading a Tezuka Osamu manga. FSS is far and away my favorite comic/manga right now (with the possible exception of the similarly formalistic SAIKANO). What I love about FSS the manga is the way Nagano's formalism drives ideas and visceral emotions straight into my heart. And what I love about FSS modeling (including looking at other people's work) is the way it transports me to a calm place of beauty and wonder (or even, as in the case of the green JAGD, an actual experience of the sublime) that may or may not be connected directly to any notion of "story."

I guess you can tell from my long-windedness that I work at a University :)

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:09 pm

You know, I agree very much with what you've said. I've had much the same thoughts in the past, though I've never articulated them in as much depth as you have here.

I definitely appreciate the form and color of MH more than anything else. Each design is definitely a work of art in and of itself, and so are the corresponding kits.

A lot of non-FSS fans will wonder: Why don't I shade my kits? Why don't I weather my kits? I think my reasons are very much as you have described.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:37 am

for weathering done right in FSS, the most impressive that i have seen have to be Kaiyodo's 1/100 Ashura Temple, featured in MH Saga, if memory serve. that's an awesome paint work. :)

wps

sarion

Post by sarion » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:06 pm

junchoon wrote:for weathering done right in FSS, the most impressive that i have seen have to be Kaiyodo's 1/100 Ashura Temple, featured in MH Saga, if memory serve. that's an awesome paint work. :)

wps
i think Apache was also weathered somewhat by some modellers, and the only other candidate left would be the LED vs Black Knight scene.