Question about the WSC Black Knight model.

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

John F. Moscato

Question about the WSC Black Knight model.

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:16 am

Here's something I find odd.

I have the Volks SAV Vatshu kit, and both swords are exactly the same, and of equal length... Seems sensible enough.

On the WSC version, however, I noticed that though the swords hilts are identical, one sword blade is resin, while the other is white metal, almost 2cm longer, and slightly wider at the tip. I was just wondering if something is amiss, or did both manufacturers just use different reference for making the swords?
John F. Moscato

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:46 am

Hi John,

Volks based their Vatshu on the Knight Flags illustration: distinctive pose and swords of equal length. WSC Vatshu was released much later, and I would guess by that time the MH had made a manga appearance and therefore WSC had more reference material to work with.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:54 pm

Thanks Elemental, makes sense to me.

I have yet to see the newer Vatshu in action in the manga, since I don't own the latest japanese books, but I was pleasantly surprised with the overall detail and proportions of the WSC model. To me, the finesse of the detail and sheer size just beats the snot out of the Volks kit.

There was a rumor going on a few months ago to the effect that WSC might be releasing a new or revised Engage model... Any chance that in stead of an updated SR-3 that it could end up being something like the Last Junchoon? I always felt that that design had never really been captured all that well by the Volks MM model.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38 am

John F. Moscato wrote:I have yet to see the newer Vatshu in action in the manga, since I don't own the latest japanese books, but I was pleasantly surprised with the overall detail and proportions of the WSC model. To me, the finesse of the detail and sheer size just beats the snot out of the Volks kit.
I have to say I don't really have a clearcut favorite. Sure, the size is nice... but WSC kits can really only be displayed with other WSC kits, unless you want things to look silly. And as we know, Volks offers a much broader range of MH designs. Almost everything on my shelf right now is Volks.
And I didn't necessarily have a problem with the proportions or details of the Volks...
For me, it's just not as clearcut as the difference between WSC and Volks Clouds Schatze (as an example). In that case, WSC really does beat the snot out of Volks...

There was a rumor going on a few months ago to the effect that WSC might be releasing a new or revised Engage model... Any chance that in stead of an updated SR-3 that it could end up being something like the Last Junchoon? I always felt that that design had never really been captured all that well by the Volks MM model.
No chance I think. It's pretty certain that it's going to be a 'comic version' Sr3. Different armor skirts and a different weapon. I don't really like the comic version, to be honest...

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:34 am

Hi KOG.

I dunno, some Volks subjects can be displayed right along with WSC models

Like anything else, there are obvious limits, but I tend to think that a lot of the more recent offerings from both companies compare very well. The Volks Clouds Schatze was indeed piss-poor, but to be fair, Volks has really upped their game tremendously since then. Their Siren Neptune is worlds better than the WSC equivalent, but there are some kits like the Vatshu and Engage SR-3 that seem much less clear-cut.

The latter kit seems to be well sculpted from both firms, and I haven't seen enough good pics of either to really know which one I'd go for yet. Any suggestions?
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:44 am

John F. Moscato wrote:I dunno, some Volks subjects can be displayed right along with WSC models
Well, yeah, but to be fair, the V3s are pretty much the largest kits they've done. Most Volks stuff is not that big. Although there's been a definite trend towards bigger kits lately, to be sure...

Like anything else, there are obvious limits, but I tend to think that a lot of the more recent offerings from both companies compare very well. The Volks Clouds Schatze was indeed piss-poor, but to be fair, Volks has really upped their game tremendously since then. Their Siren Neptune is worlds better than the WSC equivalent, but there are some kits like the Vatshu and Engage SR-3 that seem much less clear-cut.

The latter kit seems to be well sculpted from both firms, and I haven't seen enough good pics of either to really know which one I'd go for yet. Any suggestions?
Well, I am not an Engage fan. For me to appreciate them at all, I need to see them as a set. And since WSC hasn't released an Engage mk II... that's automatically a point in Volks' favor. Since you can build all three Engages.

Speaking in terms of single kits though... I still prefer Volks. It has the slim proportions that seem to better match the original art, and the spirit of the design.

The WSC Sr3 has really stumpy looking legs... which is its biggest failing in my eyes. Although I suppose someone such as yourself could easily extend the legs a bit. But still, the WSC would still look stockier than the Volks.

Engage Sr3 is a pretty simple design, so I don't think either Volks or WSC version has a clear edge in terms of detail.

So yeah, I prefer Volks... since Volks has the slim proportions, and since Volks offers the rest of the Engage series as well.

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:30 am

KOG wrote:
Speaking in terms of single kits though... I still prefer Volks. It has the slim proportions that seem to better match the original art, and the spirit of the design.

The WSC Sr3 has really stumpy looking legs... which is its biggest failing in my eyes. Although I suppose someone such as yourself could easily extend the legs a bit. But still, the WSC would still look stockier than the Volks.
Agree with this 100%, the only regret I have with purchasing the Volks is that I prefer the look/design of the new comic version much more so. Converting, especially without enough reference, would be too much of a pain methinx..... Unfortunately now she'll prolly just gather dust in the cupboard :?