Wonderfest 1/100 A-toll Scritti - 1st review

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

sarion

Wonderfest 1/100 A-toll Scritti - 1st review

Post by sarion » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:46 am

just received the kit today, main points:
1) minimal internal details (guess this is normal from most private sculptors)
2) lower torso and most of leg portion cast as one piece (a bit disappointing, even SSS series also better)
3) ZERO DETAILING at bottom of feet -> guess gotta do a lot of work here to satisfy myself that i'm not building a '80s Gundam...

put off decision of getting that 1/72 Heavy Cross now, still waiting eagerly for that WSC Gastness... :roll:

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:25 am

This is precisely the reason I stay away from FAC amateur sculptors. The standard is below average. Anyone of us who like FSS are mostly perfectionist, I can never put up w/ that level of sculpting, or the lack of sculpting details.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:35 am

happy hopping wrote:This is precisely the reason I stay away from FAC amateur sculptors. The standard is below average. Anyone of us who like FSS are mostly perfectionist, I can never put up w/ that level of sculpting, or the lack of sculpting details.
Actually, I put up with quite a bit. I'm willing to put up with some weaknesses in a kit, if it's a design I really want, and there's no better kit available.

I'm quite happy with my FAC Flamberge, and I look forward to building it later on.

Sharp internal details and complicated feet are nice and all, but still, the most important thing is the overall design. Not how many rivets and vents are on the bottom of the foot.

I'll probably be picking up a 1/100 Scritti... since I've wanted one in 1/100 scale for a long time.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:09 am

I can partly understand why some FAC sculptors will avoid over-detailing their models: FSS sculpts are painfully-long and laborious works, and it can become hard to justify spending sometimes twice the sculpting time on little details that may not show when the model is built; especially when as a sculptor/seller, you're limited to selling just a handful of models.

In any case, look at these undetailed areas as a challenge to do a little creative scratchbuilding: it's tough work, but very satisfying :)
John F. Moscato

sarion

Post by sarion » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:57 pm

KOG wrote:Actually, I put up with quite a bit. I'm willing to put up with some weaknesses in a kit, if it's a design I really want, and there's no better kit available.

I'm quite happy with my FAC Flamberge, and I look forward to building it later on.

Sharp internal details and complicated feet are nice and all, but still, the most important thing is the overall design. Not how many rivets and vents are on the bottom of the foot.

I'll probably be picking up a 1/100 Scritti... since I've wanted one in 1/100 scale for a long time.
i do agree with both of you, but as what u mentioned, this IS the only 1/100 Scritti available, so that's why i got it too.
8)

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:28 pm

I'm am willing to cut some slack to a sculptor that doesn't get 10hours a day to make a MH kit.

Some people criticize and don't even know how hard it is to sculpt in the first place.

I ordered one too.

sarion

Post by sarion » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:01 pm

cobywan wrote:I'm am willing to cut some slack to a sculptor that doesn't get 10hours a day to make a MH kit.

Some people criticize and don't even know how hard it is to sculpt in the first place.

I ordered one too.
hehe but too bad we aren't really supporting the sculptor directly :roll:

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:43 am

Whoops. You got me. :shock:

But I am still willing to cut them some slack. :P

On a related note I heard from my friend in Japan that the kits that go up on Yahoo! Japan are bought by the Yakuza for price gouging. So there really isn't a legitimate way to get these kits short of getting a plane ticket and pray you can get something. :?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:00 am

The japanese mob deal in garage kits?? Now I've heard everything ROFLMAO!!!!! :D

On a slightly more serious note, I don't think one need be affiliated with the mob to simply be greedy; the people on Yahoo JP selling the FAC models for double or triple their original price are good ol' run-of-the-mill opportunists. They're entitled to ask whatever they choose for their merchandise, but that doesn't mean they'll get it. :wink:

I've seen lots of Luminous Mirages/Cavalry Rs with starting prices under 20000 yen. The ST kit doesn't really look that bad either, honestly. Has anyone picked this kit up? Comments?
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:38 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:I've seen lots of Luminous Mirages/Cavalry Rs with starting prices under 20000 yen. The ST kit doesn't really look that bad either, honestly. Has anyone picked this kit up? Comments?
Since the only way to get an original (usually overpriced) is through Y!J auctions, I'm pretty much planning to get a recast once Hobbyfan gets some stock.