1/100 Schpeltor G-Sys work in progress

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

machine mess

1/100 Schpeltor G-Sys work in progress

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:07 pm

I am starting a thread for the Water Dragon I am building.

I'll have a couple early updates to put here as the morning progresses.

This is my first ever resin kit (tho' I have built many injection kits) and also my first substantial (I hope) effort at documenting my building process.

I have already discovered that my digital camera won't focus as close to stuff as I would like it too :cry:

machine mess

color scheme

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:19 pm

last week I photoshopped a couple images to create a color palette for my Schpeltor. Luckily, my scanner, monitor, and printer are all pretty well in synch with each other as far as the color registration goes :)

Also luckily, when I took the printout of colors down into my basement studio I found that I had pretty close matches for all the colors in my Mr. Color collection. Oh, plus this for the gold

Here are the images:

for the body
and

for that awesome added G-System detail on the shoulders (plus the red from the body pic, of course)

machine mess

the start of parts cleanup

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Here are the raw parts after having soaked in dish-soapy water for a couple weeks

and here are the parts I've managed to clean up the seams/rough spots/casting blocks on (or rather off, as the case may be)

for the most part, cleanup has been pretty easy with xacto fine saw, dremel tool (see below), and wet/dry sandpaper (400 grit mainly).

Sadly, on the toes of one of the feet there was an air bubble that spoiled the lovely pointed tip.

so I'll have to putty the one on the left (I use magisculp - I still have some left tho' this company has apparently disappeared now).

The most useful tools so far have been:

my cone point engraver dremel bit

and

This rediculous looking magnifier headgear. I you don't have one of these, I recommend it most heartily. Really reduces eyestrain.

that's all for now.

I'm guessing cleaning up the parts will take a few weeks at this rate - I have to do it while I'm sitting at work on my downtime.

I have to build a spray booth before I can start painting, so there's no rush. (I'll start another thread when I'm working on that project, assuming someone might be interested).

errol

Post by errol » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:07 pm

Allways interested in seeing peoples Mortar Head projects. Good to see someone else in this state into FSS. Keep the updates coming, looks promising.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:12 pm

Hey, yes I think there is at least one other person in ann arbor who is into fss because my local comic shop orders new issues of the english translation for me and one other guy - whom I've never met.

'tis a rare hobby, this fss kitbuilding - it's good we have a global community here so we won't feel lonely.

I puttied some pinholes last night:

only three significant pinholes with nearly 30 parts cleaned up - this is my first resin kit so I don't know if 1 out 10 is a good ratio of 'injured' (I wouldn't exactly call them 'damaged') parts or not.

I bought most of the parts needed for my spraybooth over the weekend, so that should be coming together soon too. my wife worried aloud to me that the hole I have to cut for the 'dryer vent' duct will reduce the value of our house, but as you can see above :D holes can be easily patched!

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:01 pm

Really good quality kits (even high quality recasts) generally won't have any pinholes or air bubbles at all.

As long as the defects aren't large, and don't ruin detail, 1 in 10 isn't all that bad I suppose...

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:56 pm

Yep, my wsc one is absolutely bubble-free. That said, I guess price wasn't the same...
It's nice to see this one being built, I haven't started mine since I'm still looking for colors that feel right to me, especially the gold color for which I've been looking at a colleague's car today... 8)

machine mess

argh

Post by machine mess » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:56 am

I discovered a nasty bit of casting error on the skirt armor today.

I think it might have been caused by mold misalignment, but it sure did damage alot of little detail along this edge. I already spent about an hour resculpting the little rectangular engravings, and now I'll have to putty.

on the other side of the same piece (the one on the left in this pic) I had to adjust the line - I moved it further to the left - along the length of the piece to restore the symmetry.

the smaller ellipse marks another view of the misalignment on that edge.

in one way this is really annoying, but from another point of view it's like training for doing my own scratchbuilding/sculpting.

errol

Post by errol » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:03 pm

Where at in Ann Arbor? I usually order mine from Kino in Cali. Would love to be able to get it locally. I went to the Comicon in Novi this year. I was suprised because every year they preview anime and this year they showed FSS. So there must be more of us out here in Mich. The comment in the description stated that it was some sort of group that chose the anime's and said that it was one of their favorites. They also commented about how great it was to have an official US translated version. I totally agreed. I had the old version of the movie and the translations were horrible. New one even looks 10 times better. I have a small collection of 1/144 and some 1/100 but really struggle to find the time to work on them. Life gets in the way. So keep those updates coming.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:31 pm

I get my issues through the "subscription" or "pull" (as the owner calls it) service from VAULT OF MIDNIGHT comics on Liberty Street near 4th Ave downstairs from a Chinese restaurant called DINERSTY.

I have not bought the legal domestic DVD yet (shame on me, I guess) - I just have an old fansub VHS tape that has quite nice subs with even a bit of extra explanatory background stuff added in to the subs.

I almost got my hands on a 1/100 Apache yesterday on eBay, but missed it through an odd series of events that I needn't go into here. I'm taking it as an omen that I should focus on other things like my scratchbuilding skills (and getting that spraybooth put together).

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:35 pm

machine mess wrote:I almost got my hands on a 1/100 Apache yesterday on eBay, but missed it through an odd series of events that I needn't go into here. I'm taking it as an omen that I should focus on other things like my scratchbuilding skills (and getting that spraybooth put together).
Ah, the one being sold by Karl Woo? I had been tempted to bid on that, since I really love the kit... but I figured since I'd built one already, I should restrain myself and let someone else have a crack at it...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:38 am

spent some time today puttying that horrible casting error:

and deepening the detail in other pieces of the skirt armor

I press the tip of the knife in at each short side of each rectangular impression, like so

and then shave across the length and lift out thin, flat shards of resin (in both directions)

takes forever, but I can't afford to buy new kits all the time - so I can noodle around like this to my heart's content as long as my eyesight holds up.

having fun documenting this, I hope it's interesting to someone else other than just me.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:43 pm

I thought that magnifer glass is too small. I like the desktop magnifying glass that you can put the object under instead of getting the one w/ the eye shield.

Especially I notice the desktop ver. of different magnifying glass has higher power, like 7X for e.g..
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:10 am

yeah, I used to have a desktop magnifier, but with the way it interacted with my glasses - which have a quite strong nearsightedness prescription - it just made me feel sort of cross-eyed. I think the advantage of the visor for me comes from the way it works in a binocular way connecting with my glasses.

the visor also makes it easier to sit up straight because my desktop magnifier pretty much had to sit parallel to the plane of the desk itself, thus forcing me to crane my neck over it.

maybe someday I could shell out for one of those large swing arm magnifiers with a circular flourescent tube that illuminates the object - the guys in the shop at my work have these and they seem pretty nice.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:55 pm

over half finished with the parts cleanup (sanding and repairing damage)

now up to 8 parts that I've had to do either minor (7) or substantial (1) puttying on to clean up either pinholes or molding errors. I'd say only one part was really substantially miscast, and it's not like I had to rebuild the whole part or anything, so I'm still feeling okay about having spent $135 on this kit (including shipping).

This good feeling was enhanced last night when I did a little test fitting.

Behold my poor, somewhat hasty photography:

everything fits nicely so far and it looks like its gonna take some effort to get it into a pose that I like. I'm so used to polycap joints that this whole "free pose" resin kit thing will take some getting used to. For a few seconds yesterday the thought crossed my mind to do joint modifications adding in balls-and-sockets, but it's my first resin kit so I'm gonna resist digging myself in too deeply. Just keep reminding myself, "enjoy the out-of-box experience."

Oh, yeah. I ordered some more Mr. Color paint from HLJ and a couple bottles of Mr. Resin Primer Surfacer. Has anyone here used this primer in your airbrush? I'm hoping it will work well for me and not overspray so uncontrollably like the spray canned primer I've used.

Making good progress on my spray booth too, BTW. Maybe I'll post a few pics of that elsewhere.