Eleshis

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Engage

Eleshis

Post by Engage » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:30 pm

Does anyone have any good lineart for the Eleshis? I've seen some floating around on the web but they have been either of low quality or broken up.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 pm

I've scanned the color illustration of the Eleshis but I can't recall off the top of my head ever seeing black & white lineart for that mortar headd.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Engage

Post by Engage » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:35 pm

You have a color scan of the Eleshis? Thats awesome! :D The lineart I was talking about I haven't seen in awhile. I guess the site that hosted it got deleted or something. I think the lineart was just done by a guy who removed all of the color from the image (It wasn't a very good job but it was nice to see it in black & white).

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:33 pm

There's actually black and white "line-art" of the Eleshis that came from the instructions in the model kit. I have it on my computer, but unfortunately its not hooked up. (I'm using my girlfriends computer which is far superior to mine)

It showed the Eleshis from both the front and the back, which is why I put it on my computer...
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:09 pm

for your viewing pleasure:

Shinei!

Engage

Post by Engage » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:53 pm

I love the Eleshis. One of my favorite MH.

Did you get that pic from the cyber combat club?

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:09 am

Btw does this elegant MH have heels or does it keep tiptoeing ?

Engage

Post by Engage » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:59 pm

The Eleshis does not have heels so yes, it tiptoes, though I think it can go flat footed.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:21 pm

I was thinking "it doesn't make sense...it doesn't make dense..." about that tiptoeing attitude, and came across the color illustration of the Neptune V Siren, I had not seen it in a while. It has no heels, while the manga version has heels. So my guess is the Eleshis will have heels when it appears in the manga (unless it already appeared and I missed it ?). That definitely makes more sense to me than a tiptoeing attitude, even with a "flat-footing" capacity.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:49 pm

I think we can safely say it was a design phase Nagano went through (maybe even a bit of a gimmick). However, someone on one of the boards explained that heels are really only needed for resting. You could stand on tip toes indefinitely, if it weren't for your leg muscles getting tired... and MHs don't get tired. It was also mentioned that MHs move very fast, and normally run around on tip toes, even if we don't see this in the manga. So, even if the tip toes thing was just a design phase, Nagano rationalised it... at least in his own mind.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:16 am

elemental wrote:I think we can safely say it was a design phase Nagano went through (maybe even a bit of a gimmick). However, someone on one of the boards explained that heels are really only needed for resting. You could stand on tip toes indefinitely, if it weren't for your leg muscles getting tired... and MHs don't get tired. It was also mentioned that MHs move very fast, and normally run around on tip toes, even if we don't see this in the manga. So, even if the tip toes thing was just a design phase, Nagano rationalised it... at least in his own mind.
I remember reading that explanation too. Makes sense to me. I think sprinters pretty much just run on their toes. They don't take the time to put the entire foot flat on the ground with each step.

But also, it's another wonderful example of MH form over function, which is something I love about them... so unapologetically impractical.

Anyone remember if MM Eleshis has optional heel parts? I sort of think it does... but my copy of the kit is sorta buried away and I don't feel like digging it out to check right now...

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:36 am

I've seen pics of MM Eleshis with optional heels. MM Neptune also has optional heels. I haven't seen artwork of these two designs having heels (I'm considering MM Neptune and SAV Neptune as two completely different things here). I think Volks included the heels to make display of the finished kits a little less precarious... even though MM Neptune balances quite well without the heels.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:42 am

elemental wrote:I've seen pics of MM Eleshis with optional heels. MM Neptune also has optional heels. I haven't seen artwork of these two designs having heels (I'm considering MM Neptune and SAV Neptune as two completely different things here). I think Volks included the heels to make display of the finished kits a little less precarious... even though MM Neptune balances quite well without the heels.
Well, if there's never been official art of the heels... I reckon I feel obliged to build both kits without heels.

EDIT: Just checked J vol 11, and it looks like Neptune IS shown with heels in the manga. Guess I will use them after all.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:58 am

I will someday build the MM version without heels, and as you know I have already done the SAV Neptune, obviously with heels.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:18 pm

Neptune in the manga... Yes it definitely has heels, to me the manga is the way to go, for kits I need to be able to link them to a scene, this way they feel more "real" when I look at them. And other "light" designs in the manga have heels, like the Phantom, Empress or Yen Xing (spelling ?).

About moving without heels. I thought about sprinters too, standing... but on the other hand an MH has to fight. If it were only to attack, maybe it could do without heels, putting all its weight forwards, but since it sometimes may have to defend, it needs heels to rest its weight rearwards, otherwise it would fall too easily or it would need rocket engines in the back. I really like the anime part when the KOG plants rear foot stabilizers in the ground before using the buster, because it makes so much sense and adds a "real" touch to the scene.
So I too concluded that it was a design step, quite like the SR3 in knight flags being different from the one in the manga. On th other hand I might keep the "design step" color scheme... hehe