First Model

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

iniaes

First Model

Post by iniaes » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:59 am

I am looking at getting a fss mecha model and wondered if anyone could reccomend a good model for a novice modeler.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:43 pm

It would probably help if you were a little more specific.

What scale do you prefer?

Do you want something cheap (plastic) or expensive (resin)?

If you want a resin kit, is fixed pose OK, or do you prefer a poseable resin?

Once things are narrowed down a little, then perhaps we can make suggestions.

iniaes

hmm

Post by iniaes » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:32 pm

I would prefer a 1/100th sale plastic model, just to get started. I am not fussed about the poseability.

KOG

Re: hmm

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:44 pm

iniaes wrote:I would prefer a 1/100th sale plastic model, just to get started. I am not fussed about the poseability.
Ah, that narrows things down quite a bit.

Essentially you have 4 choices:

1/100 Wave LED Mirage (or one of its variants)

1/100 Wave Junchoon

1/100 Wave Vatshu the Black Knight

1/100 Volks GGI KOG or KOG AT

In terms of overall quality, the Volks kits are the best I think. They certainly have the best detail. However, they are also the most expensive, costing from between 7800 yen to 9800 yen (retail). However, these kits are not currently in production. So if you want one, you'd have to get one from a private seller, or bid on one on Yahoo!Japan auctions.

As for the Wave kits, these are quite old and present a significant building challenge. Of the three, I think the LED Mirage should present the least difficulty. Both the Junchoon and the Vatshu require a lot of effort to get the seam lines ironed out.

So, if you've got the cash and are willing to look around, check out the Volks plastic 1/100 KOGs.

If you want something you can get easily and cheaply, try the Wave 1/100 LED Mirage. You can find one pretty easily at many online model shops I think...

However, if you are truly a novice modeler, I might suggest the Wave 1/144 plastic LED Mirage instead. It's a more modern kit, and construction is simplified so it should make for an easier build.

If you go for one of the 1/100s instead, be sure to take the time to study up on modeling technique before you begin.

iniaes

thanks

Post by iniaes » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:52 pm

cheers for your advice, I eas looking at the KOG AT or the LED mirage, i will look around for some now, toodles

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:21 pm

Or wait a few weeks for the release of the plastic LED V3 (1/144), a small plastic kit, but with the nice V3 look.

DN

Post by DN » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:10 am

I cheer LED Mirage too :P

VOLKs 1/100 KOG :?: I can't find it in the present.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:55 pm

Just to be clear, I was talking about these:

http://www.hlj.com/product/VOLFSGGI01
http://www.hlj.com/product/VOLFSGGI02
http://www.hlj.com/product/VOLFSGGI03

Unfortunately they aren't currently in production.

I do see them pop up on Yahoo!Japan auctions from time to time.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:16 pm

The first FSS kit I built was this 1/144 LED Mirage:

http://www.hlj.com/product/WAVFS-100

It was not easy, but since I had already done several EVA kits including the rediculously hard to build VOLKS injection MM EVA-01

http://www.hlj.com/product/VOL006

(what a choice for a first-ever kit to build :evil: it took me over 6 months if memory serves)

The surface detail on the LED Mirage is pretty intense, and I didn't know about using washes at the time for painting such stuff. I "invented" this crazy technique where I painted in all the detail w/o worrying about overpainting and then carefully scraping away the overpainting with a sharp xacto. I use Mr. Color laquers so the panel lines and such ended up pretty crisp, but what a load of effort it was. I covered the non-detail areas with Mr. Color "pearl coat" (not sure if that's what its true name is) and at times ran into problems with the pearl coat blurring the black in the engraved details. Again - quite a load of unnecessary effort, but it did end up maintaining and even enhancing the lovely translucency of the plastic in which this kit is cast. (such a rare thing when a plastic kit is cast in a good color

Actually, as I write this I realize that with the the engraved detail painted effectively "below" the pearl coat it probably gives the detailing more depth than a wash would have done. All of this was brush painting, too, so I couldn't do any airbrush tricks like I hope to soon learn now that I finally bought one on eBay. :D

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:39 pm

sorry about my gargantuan avatar

I'm still working on figuring out out to fancy-up my profile

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:45 pm

still a bit too big, but better than the first one I put up.