Inside the Mortar Headd

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Redcomet0093

Inside the Mortar Headd

Post by Redcomet0093 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:05 am

I found this cool picture on 4chan of the inside work of a Mortar Headd here it is:

http://data.4channel.org/m/src/1126667218858.jpg

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:07 am

Sweet! Isn't that the Phantom?
John F. Moscato

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:30 am

Wow! Nice scan. Big and very clean image.

Thats from Characters 11: Smoke Walls a part of the Internal Structure of MH article that I'm dying to have someone translate.

I'm hoping that when (if) the FSS english translations continue at some point, that the next volumes will have a translation of that article in the back...

ro3159 began a rough translation of that article, but its a big project and it was never finished. Though some intriguing things were brought to light. I'll see if I can find that thread and link it for you...
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:34 am

John F. Moscato wrote:Sweet! Isn't that the Phantom?
yes it is.

In anycase, Here's the thread where a rough translation was started...

http://www.gearsonline.net/forums/viewt ... 16&start=0
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:34 am

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:yes it is.

Actually, no, it's not Phantom...

It's V-Siren Neptune.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:31 am

KOG wrote:
Nu Soard Graphite wrote:yes it is.

It's V-Siren Neptune.
I think so, too. The armors look the same as the Neptune. The previous page in Smoke Walls showed the cockpit design based on Christine V's V-Siren Neptune. That's what led me to think that this internal structure was based on the V-Siren Neptune.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:00 pm

Strange. From the MH's face, I'd swear that was a Phantom. From the armor however, it's clearly a Neptune. My bad.

In a way, I'm a little bit disappointed though: I seem to miss Nagano's earlier style of design, where MHs had hair, ornately sculptured "faces" under their masks and an almost unmistakeably organic feel about them. One would almost get the impression that he's back-pedaled on his own designs, and not necessarily for the better ( in my opinion.)
John F. Moscato

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:29 pm

It's V-Siren Neptune.

You know....I knew it was the Neptune, but for some reason when I read "Phantom" it didn't click.....

Sorry about that.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 pm

John F. Moscato wrote: In a way, I'm a little bit disappointed though: I seem to miss Nagano's earlier style of design, where MHs had hair, ornately sculptured "faces" under their masks and an almost unmistakeably organic feel about them. One would almost get the impression that he's back-pedaled on his own designs, and not necessarily for the better ( in my opinion.)
I actually prefer the newer designs myself.

I've never gotten the "organic" feel to MH's. They've always seemed very mechanical in nature to me. With the exception of that scene in Volume 1 (Japanese) where Sopp and Viewlard were looking at the Etriml...

And I think Nagano's design (indeed his very art-style) ability has improved vastly over the years to the point where he is now able to show all the little detailes he's always wanted to show on his mecha designs. The fact that we can see the servos and the Multi-layers of armor and can tell if a MH has transparent armor in a black and white manga is a testament to his supreme skills as an artist.
Shinei!

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:12 pm

His ability to show-off Mortar Headd mechanics has been there for a long time; just look at the JOKER 3100 art book which dates back to 1989, or the Twin Tower book. Both show-off Nagano's mechanical drawing skills quite nicely.

The fact that MHs have always been mechanical nature is not in question; he's stated that almost from the beginning. It's just that his older mechanics were more organic in nature; almost as though his mechanics had transcended the conventional to a point where they almost mimicked the intricacies of biological organisms, while still being man-made. That's part of what attracted me to FSS in the first place.

The Neptune skeleton's artwork & style (and the use of computer-coloring) remind me more of a, well... A Gundam *ghasp* :roll:
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:40 pm

I don't have much to say on the organic/inorganic issue...

But I must say I was never totally fond of the 'sculpted' faces seen in the past. The 'real face' of Junchoon seems to fit it somehow, but I haven't liked the underlying face of the 1/35 LED for example.

I prefer the mechanical skull-like faces lying under the faceplates that have been seen more recently.

And in fact, I believe the 'sculpted' face style was never seen all that much anyway... I think the 'skull under faceplate' approach has been used for a long time. You can see these sort of faces when Ashura is bashing in heads, when Auge is defeated, and in several other instances. Would have to go back and look over the manga again to be sure.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:40 pm

I could scan the images for that article from Characters 11 but with no translation it wouldn't be too helpful for site visitors.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:37 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:almost as though his mechanics had transcended the conventional to a point where they almost mimicked the intricacies of biological organisms, while still being man-made.
Yup', I agree with that. Though I've still not produced anything really (just making roughs here and there, I struggle to put all the ideas into one design, and I always change my mind), that's what I've liked the most lately.
To take the advantages of both mechanical and biological, and merge it into one. The solidity, rigidity of mechanical material, and the flexibility and regenaration of biological organism, along with their respective structure/look (or a mix). I'm thinking about mecha with blood made of nanomachines (which would look like mercure, or oil, or something) (organic cells are nothing more than mini organisms, exactly like nanomachines in a robot, well the contrary is more exact^^). Rigid/soft armor that could absorb the hits, even be severly hit by ordnance, but then absorb it, bring it back to mollecular aspect, and use it to regenarate itself.
Not even talking about energy field or whatever...

This "mechanical only" story removes a bit of magic concerning te MHs. Well, not exactly, but why do the Junchoon and KOG, or Neptune move by themselves then ? Are those reflexs learned by their AI ?

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:36 am

Falk wrote:organic cells are nothing more than mini organisms, exactly like nanomachines in a robot
Go even further... our proteins/enzymes within organic cells are exactly like nanomachines. The biology/mechanics of living systems is truly amazing.
This "mechanical only" story removes a bit of magic concerning te MHs. Well, not exactly, but why do the Junchoon and KOG, or Neptune move by themselves then ? Are those reflexs learned by their AI ?
I agree. The "magic" element was good, I think. It helped emphasize the fantasy aspect of the the manga.

As for those MH moving on their own... it's quite possible for them to possess intelligence/self awareness/whatever it takes to move on their own without being organic.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:09 am

Well, considering one aspect of Mortar Headd control is the compatibility of the Fatima and the Mortar Headd in question, I would say that this is because of the Mortar Headd's "personality".

We see Fatima talking to their MH's as if they were children or siblings. Their bond is that close. I can't see a Fatima forming such a bond with an unliving, unfeeling machine...but with a sentient robot...absolutely.

In fact, we have MH's behaving like living beings all the time: The Junchoon pleads for Clotho to unleash its full power to avenge Colus. The KOG moves on its own to toss a weapon to its disadvantaged comrade. The Neptune moves on its own to protect Christine V. The Bangdoll gets agitated from Ssizz speaking to it in a foreign tongue. The Terror Mirage winks to Allen Braford, much to Aishas surprise and displeasure. Parthenon makes love to the Jagd Mirage to soothe its nerves during his maiden flight. And my favorite...The Empress and the Bybros paying their last respects to Intercity as she died.

Even though MH's are fully "mechanical" by our understanding, I consider them to be yet another form of life in Joker. In fact a MH can be considered an incomplete lifeform...one that requires two other components to be whole. A brain (the fatima) and a heart (the Headdliner). When all three are brought together, it is a lifeform that is surpassed only by the gods and dragons.
Shinei!