News from Wave!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

News from Wave!

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks to the admin over at a HK board for revealing this welcoming news/rumor :twisted: .

It seems like Wave will be making a push in the FSS market in 2005-2006. Rumor has it that Syujyu will be joining Wave and both combine will be releasing Syujyu's Last Junchoon http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~syujyu/ljprf.htm , which appeared in FAC2004.

Other kits mentioned are Comic ver. SR-1, SR-3, and all three Phantoms.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Interesting... are all these going to be 1/144, per Wave's usual practice?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:26 pm

Although nothing has been confirmed, I'll say Wave will stick with 1/144 for these kits.

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:39 am

Interesting... are all these going to be 1/144, per Wave's usual practice?
Me for one would be very disappointed if this was the case, even if they were produced as IP kits. (definately unlikely)
That being said, I would rate his Junchoon sculpt as one of the best ever, (especially for its scale) so a more widespread release would be well deserved.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:42 pm

Since Wave hasn't done a new 1/100 in years and years... I think it's a safe bet that these rumored new kits would be 1/144. Wave seems to think it's their duty to fill the 1/144 niche left open by WSC and Volks.

And I wouldn't expect these guys to be plastic... if they were to release something new in plastic, it would be a staple design like Junchoon or Vatshu.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:41 pm

Am I the only one here who finds many if not most of these newer scultps to be overly CAD-ed - as in appearing to have been generated by a polygon spewing render-farm - unlike older stuff that looks genuinely hand-made.

Even if this new stuff is just as hand-made as the old things were, the new things seems to bear the very strong influence of Computer Aided Design. They're still cool, but maybe beyond cool they're even a little cold.

One notable exception, however:

I really dig the shoulder armor and the veils.

Maybe since I'm not a video/PC gamer my brain still prefers smooth curves and hills and valleys to flat plates meeting each other at sharply defined angles (see also discussion elsewhere of new Orange Right design...)

sometimes I just love wandering around on HLJ looking at oldskool stuff like these things from Xabungle:

Pretty goofy stuff, but they've got soul.

I hope the brighly burning soul of FSS isn't being "polygon-ized" too much.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:35 pm

Other than perhaps the Orange Jagd, which kits are you referring to as being overly angular?

The FAC2005 1/100 A Toll Scritti veers in that direction, but that's because the original design looks that was as well...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:22 pm

The last Junchoon from the link above looks super angular to me, and that new A-toll Scritti too (especially compared to the older kit which has lots of jaggedy edges, but a more organic feel to it). Many of the designs have some pronounced angularity to them, but sometimes it just gets pushed a bit too far.

Ikazuchi-Maru, Destonius, Hydra Mirage, Speed Mirage are all examples of designs that are a bit too far into angularity / CAD territory to make it into my (hypothetical) "top 10" favorites.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:34 pm

machine mess wrote:The last Junchoon from the link above looks super angular to me, and that new A-toll Scritti too (especially compared to the older kit which has lots of jaggedy edges, but a more organic feel to it). Many of the designs have some pronounced angularity to them, but sometimes it just gets pushed a bit too far.

Ikazuchi-Maru, Destonius, Hydra Mirage, Speed Mirage are all examples of designs that are a bit too far into angularity / CAD territory to make it into my (hypothetical) "top 10" favorites.
Ah... the old A Toll Scritti kit is indeed a work of genius. But one doesn't expect less from Akira Tani, who may indeed be THE best MH sculptor, period.

The newer 1/100 Scritti does seem slightly more blocky, but I do think it matches the character of the artwork well enough.

But it does sound like you're talking more about angularity of original designs, moreso than simply angularity of the kits of said designs.

Mighty series is indeed fairly angular... but I guess the Mighty series involved quite a LOT of unorthodox design decisions... as a result, the Mighty series MH don't really look like any other MH.

But I have to say, I do admire Nagano for constantly evolving his style, rather than redrawing the same MH over and over with minimal variation. In time, I'm sure his style will change yet again...

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:27 pm

But it does sound like you're talking more about angularity of original designs, moreso than simply angularity of the kits of said designs.
Agreed, I think the "majority" are quite true to the proportions and designs from the original artwork. This is MN's style nowdays unfortunately so obviously it will be reflected in the kits you see. The rogue is a little different sure, but then again wombat (?) has based it on a V3 style chassis which I'm not so keen on.
Considering how these guys scuplt the end result is quite remarkable. These are wips for the 2 designs I posted earlier.

Btw N, here's the link I owe you. Under "make" category.
Cross Mirage
Also, is this the same as Temple kit you own? If you click on main hp piccy it will take you to the app. page. Its available quite cheaply at YJ at the moment...

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:14 pm

Mmm.. nope. That's not the same Flamberge as the one I have. Mine has no underfoot detail.

I think the overall proportions on mine are a bit better though...

This is what I got:

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=2559

The Heavy Cross project looks interest... I wonder how it will look when finished. It's a little early to tell right now...

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 am

Considering how these guys sculpt the end result is quite remarkable.
Those pictures made me laugh.

thanks.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:08 am

KOG wrote: But I have to say, I do admire Nagano for constantly evolving his style, rather than redrawing the same MH over and over with minimal variation. In time, I'm sure his style will change yet again...
I quite agree.

I really like the Schell Bullet stuff, the old Brain Powerd stuff is cool too. I even like his Gundam designs - and I mostly dislike Gundam designs.

I did the Bandai Hime Brain Powerd injection kit - extensive resculpting necessary to make it look less painfully (laughably, even) under-detailed -several years ago when I still had time to do extensive resculpting.

(I have to figure out a way to post my own images here)

I wish there were more kits of his less popular stuff.

I've just been rejoining the hobby lately and last weekend I was getting all obsessed with the idea of scratchbuilding one of the Schell designs, but then I remembered that I have a wife and child :D

Engage

Post by Engage » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:29 am

I did the Bandai Hime Brain Powerd injection kit - extensive resculpting necessary to make it look less painfully (laughably, even) under-detailed -several years ago when I still had time to do extensive resculpting.
That kit was a little strange. The bigger peices were drab, almost no detail, while the smaller pieces were loaded with detail. Strange indeed.

If you were to scratchbuild a Schell Bullet design I would bow down to you (and possibly buy it). If I had any modelling skills I would love to do that...

Anyways,

Just get an account on an image hosting website. There are lots of free ones out there, such as photobucket (which is what I use). Save your image then upload it to your account. Its that simple.

machine mess

Post by machine mess » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:20 am

hey, I got a photobucket account (thanks, Engage)

I did a lot of work around the shoulders and knees and also on the inside of the armor panels in places where it is more visible.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably hack out the movable joints entirely and just make it fixed pose to get nicer detailing in there - after all my work the poseability was pretty lame as one might expect from such a small kit.

I found one of these kits for sale recently, maybe I'll grab it to save for a rainy day.

(this is where, in case someone else wants to beat me to it: http://www.animecastle.com/catalog/mode ... 70950.html