Schpeltor, which one ?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

superdupont

Schpeltor, which one ?

Post by superdupont » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:29 pm

Need advice ! I'm considering building a Schpeltor kit and hesitating... It might be my only FSS kit, or the beginning of a (small) collection, as free time, change of tatses, and my wallet will decide.

***1/144 : there seems to be only the Wave resin kit. Looks good and would make a small collection of MHs easier than 1/100 ones, space-wise. I guess hoping for a plastic reissue would be pointless.

***1/100 : WSC latest cast (this summer iirc) or G-sys "refined" version (I don't think I'll go for the Volks version)? What has been refined ? Only the shoulders decorations or more details ?

KOG

Re: Schpeltor, which one ?

Post by KOG » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:37 pm

***1/144 : there seems to be only the Wave resin kit. Looks good and would make a small collection of MHs easier than 1/100 ones, space-wise. I guess hoping for a plastic reissue would be pointless.
There is no plastic schpeltor in any scale. And there's no way to reissue the 1/144 resin in plastic, if that's what you meant...

***1/100 : WSC latest cast (this summer iirc) or G-sys "refined" version (I don't think I'll go for the Volks version)? What has been refined ? Only the shoulders decorations or more details ?
As far as I know, the G system refine version of the original WSC schpeltor has sculpted eye mural decoration (original has blank red eye areas), and also adds in other physical details that are left as decals in the original WSC kit. However.... G system casting is not as sharp as original WSC quality, and the resin quality isn't as good either. You'll probably find the detail shallow and muddled on the G sys version...

If it were up to me, I'd rather get the original WSC version, despite the modest amount of added detail in the G sys version.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:48 pm

KOG wrote: There is no plastic schpeltor in any scale. And there's no way to reissue the 1/144 resin in plastic, if that's what you meant...
I guess HLJ's statements confused me then, when they basically say "Wave is now offering the same stuff but in plastic and way cheaper". I know that casting resin parts and plastic sprues is quite a different story but I thought there was a way (which one ? oh the beauty of innocence) to re-use the masters.

Interesting points about resin + molding quality ! Thank you.

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:08 pm

superdupont wrote:I guess HLJ's statements confused me then, when they basically say "Wave is now offering the same stuff but in plastic and way cheaper". I know that casting resin parts and plastic sprues is quite a different story but I thought there was a way (which one ? oh the beauty of innocence) to re-use the masters.
Ah. I see where you got confused. What HLJ is actually saying is that Wave is re-issuing (for cheap) kits that used to cost a lot. But in fact, the original issues were plastic as well. Wave made some of these plastic kits a LONG time ago, and sold them in smaller quantities at much higher prices. The new re-issues are essentially the exact same kit, but repackaged and sold for much less cost. None of them were based on resin predecessors. All the 1/100 plastics, and the 1/144 KOG are old. The 1/144 LED (and variants) is the only 'new' Wave plastic kit.

Interesting points about resin + molding quality ! Thank you.
No problem.

superdupont

Post by superdupont » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:13 pm

That was good advice, I just received my WSC Schpeltor direct from hlj and... What a nice kit. Really smells quality whatever you stare at. Only weak point is decals that are very lightly yellowish, which is disappointing for a kit that expensive.