Terror Mirage Bradford ver.

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

errol

Terror Mirage Bradford ver.

Post by errol » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:04 pm

Don't know if anyone else is into the Terror Mirage as much as I am, but I found this Bradford variation searching around. Maybe this is an old pic but new for me. I noticed that it has the old Terror head without the Bradford version face guard. Still really cool though.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/RieZooo/mode ... terror.htm

Sorry cannot figure out how to post the pictures.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:35 pm

I remember seeing this one a while back. It's from the same site that has the pink Apache and other oddities, isn't it?

It's definitely Bradford version inspired, but it's not quite a literal representation. Notice the flame designs on the head here: http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/mh/terror/terror3.gif which are not present on the kit build.

errol

Post by errol » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:51 pm

True.True. You are also right about the oddities. Why would you paint the Apache pink? Some of the kits are kinda cool. I guess just kind of cool with different spins on the color scheme. I kind of liked the feather detail on the Auge. Maybe not so much. Just creative I guess. Do you have any Terror kits to show off at a gathering? I've seen all different variations of colors. Flat black, dark grey, black and blue mix almost purple,etc. Would be cool to hear or see your opinion. I have a WSC Terror and am undecided on favorite finish. For some reason I tend to prefer very flat finishes with weathering. Just my taste I guess. One of my favorite paint jobs ever is Luca's Jagd in Demon Towers. Maybe it's not weathering but the darkening of key areas like certain holes or ports just gives it that extra amount of realism that makes it pop.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:22 pm

errol wrote:True.True. You are also right about the oddities. Why would you paint the Apache pink?
Good question. :)

Some of the kits are kinda cool. I guess just kind of cool with different spins on the color scheme. I kind of liked the feather detail on the Auge. Maybe not so much. Just creative I guess.
To me, FSS is unlike a series like Gundam, where pretty much every gundam has the same color scheme and cries out for custom colorization. FSS designs all have specific colors, and in my head, those colors become synonymous with the design. An Ashura is red, a LED Mirage is white, a Prominence is orange... the designs just don't look quite right to me when the colors are changed up. So I guess I'm not a big fan of custom coloring MHs. As for the Auge with feathers... I feel like the feathered wings, and the twin buster that was added on... are meant to mimic the Gundam Wing Zero Custom, with it's feathery rings and twin rifle. And since I really don't like Gundam Wing stuff... I have a pretty bad reaction to that Auge. :)

Do you have any Terror kits to show off at a gathering? I've seen all different variations of colors. Flat black, dark grey, black and blue mix almost purple,etc. Would be cool to hear or see your opinion. I have a WSC Terror and am undecided on favorite finish.
I have several Terror Mirage kits, but none are finished yet. I am considering building my SSS Terror Mirage pretty soon...
You're right, people do paint the Terror Mirage in a variety of colors. If you go by the artwork, which I like to do, it seems like a two-tone scheme of very dark blue, and black is the ideal. Pretty much like the Terror Mirage here:
http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~fastrun/wterror1.htm
When I do my Terror Mirage, I'll probably use that sort of color scheme.
This one is pretty nice too, almost a purpleish sheen to it:
http://batman2001.cool.ne.jp/gallery/FS ... ges/p1.htm
I think the main thing to do is avoid pure black. Pure black is a bit dull, and doesn't really highlight details very well. I also think dark colored designs like this benefit from a semi-gloss finish... a flat finish can look pretty plain.
So to sum up... my thoughts are:
1)2 tone scheme - clearly shown in original art
2)don't use pure black
3)semi-gloss finish to add visual interest
Also, the choice of internal/mechanical detail is important. The waist, hands, etc... it's good to pick a color that will complement the main body color. Not something that will blend in. Something that will add a little spice. I'm thinking I might actually use a darkened metallic color on mine... some nice metallic details should really work well with the overall dark appearance. When you look at your finished Terror Mirage, you don't want to just see a formless black silhouette. :)

For some reason I tend to prefer very flat finishes with weathering. Just my taste I guess. One of my favorite paint jobs ever is Luca's Jagd in Demon Towers. Maybe it's not weathering but the darkening of key areas like certain holes or ports just gives it that extra amount of realism that makes it pop.
I used to be a flat-finish-only kind of guy. But lately I've come to realize that some things really look better with at least some semi-gloss. Dark kits look good with semi-gloss... otherwise all the details get lost. And certain 'high profile' designs, the regal ones... semi-gloss gives them a more prestigious look.
Some kits I've done with semi-gloss finish:
A Toll BS (dark green kit)
kneeling Siren (dark blue-grey kit)
kneeling Empress (regal type kit)
Some that I've preferred to do flat:
Apache
Maglow
Cross Mirage

sarion

Post by sarion » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:31 pm

well i used 2 tones of gray for mine....

anyway would be interesting if an official color version artwork of Bradford's Terror is released...