FAC 2005

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:30 am

Well, obviously doing a Jagd of ANY kind at all is going to be a big project.

And if you look at it from the perspective of an average FSS fan who will look at kits and admire but not really buy or build, it's fair enough to admire the effort and focus on what's good.

But I, and some other perhaps, look at it from the perspective of perhaps wanting to shop for and build some of these kits... so we need to be critical.

It's true that there's no official art of the lower legs, so we don't really know what they SHOULD look like. I just feel like the sculptor may have taken too much liberty and gone off in a direction I don't like with the lower legs. They seem far too different from the Green Left legs... the feet are really big and the legs jut out at an odd angle. And the legs just seem short in general... As a result, I'm just not all that keen on it, and I doubt I would want to buy a copy if it was available...

Newton wrote:KOG:

Thanks for turning me on to a new website! Also, thanks for pointing out a shot of the Orange Right I've never seen before. I now will clarify my point:

Considering there are no full-body pictures of the Orange Right, how can one say what is and is not out of proportion with the model presented in the photograph? It looks to me like the artist did a phenomenal job of extrapolation based on the relatively small and definitely obscure shots of the mech we've seen so far.

You're obviously right in the multiple appearances of the Orange Right. However, all the appearances are partial views. We didn't really know what the Green Left looked like until Twin Tower. We still don't know what the Orange Right fully looks like. I think the artist who worked his butt off on the Orange Right model deserves a medal for modeling a mech of which we have only seen maybe one-third at best.

-Newt

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:10 am

sarion wrote:
my best guess is that it's an Ashura Temple
but how can the leg be that tall? The cross mirage is 1/100, that long of a leg would has to be 1/35 or more.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:11 am

KOG wrote:Wow, I wouldn't mind getting a copy of that, if it was 1/100...
it's 1/144
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:12 am

Sheizzel wrote:A site featuring photos from FAC2005

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~shirowan/fac2005/fac2005.htm
what's the name of the last MH on the above link?

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Newton

Post by Newton » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:15 am

I wasn't aware of an FSS Experts' Merit Badge (TM). In light of the fact that I don't consider myself an "average" FSS fan (whatever that is), I would say that your statement is solely that of personal taste.

Personally, the design of the Green Left leg system is rather silly looking. I understand that the structure is primarily an antigravity-buttressed design, but Nagano really went too far into the "fatima style" thing with the Green Left design.

I like what the artist has done with the Orange Right design. Considering it appears to be a more LED Mirage based design, I would have done something similar. The larger undercarriage looks more like it can distribute the weight of the overall structure. If anything, he or she didn't quite go far enough.

It also looks like an unfinished model based on the photograph. I'd be interested to see it fully finished.

-Newt

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:18 am

happy hopping wrote:
Sheizzel wrote:A site featuring photos from FAC2005

http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~shirowan/fac2005/fac2005.htm
what's the name of the last MH on the above link?
I think the last one on that page was the Fedorah.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:25 am

Newton wrote:I wasn't aware of an FSS Experts' Merit Badge (TM). In light of the fact that I don't consider myself an "average" FSS fan (whatever that is), I would say that your statement is solely that of personal taste.
Yes. It's entirely personal taste. Personal taste is what I have to exercise when shopping for kits. I either like it enough to want to pursue purchase, or I don't. And in this case, I don't like it enough to consider buying it. I never said others can't like it. If you like it and want to buy it, go ahead. I don't see what the problem is here.

Personally, the design of the Green Left leg system is rather silly looking. I understand that the structure is primarily an antigravity-buttressed design, but Nagano really went too far into the "fatima style" thing with the Green Left design.
Well, like you said, personal taste. I like the Green Left design. It's the ultimate expression of Nagano's assertion of form being more important than function. The opposite of practicality. Extreme evidence of the superiority of Sopp's MH technology. As such, I like it.

I like what the artist has done with the Orange Right design. Considering it appears to be a more LED Mirage based design, I would have done something similar. The larger undercarriage looks more like it can distribute the weight of the overall structure. If anything, he or she didn't quite go far enough.
Hm, I don't see much LED-based other than the general leg shape. Which is still in question without seeing official art.

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:01 am

KOG wrote: I really wish I could see more on the Fedorah....
Was thinking the same thing, especially considering it's one of only a handful of "un-released" MH designs I would would be interested in buying (1/100). Must admit I haven't been a fan of his newer stuff, prefering the original big, bulky, klunky types....
Kudos to the guy for doing it, although some of the detail is a little sloppy and the colour is not the white-ish pink I remember. Wonder if this was available @ the time because I fear it will never be released by V or WSC....
KOG wrote: Hm, I don't see much LED-based other than the general leg shape. Which is still in question without seeing official art.
To me the whole kit seems very angular, like it was designed with the help of a CAD program and somehow transfered to 3d form. The legs look very wrong, in pose/proportion and design. Again though as you suggest, there's a lot of admiration for his/their? efforts in attempting such a complex project. Orange Right has always been high amoungst the most requested designs and its crazy that its now actually been done by, as Hopping suggests, an "amateur". I do wonder, considering how much of this he would have had to "fudge", if he somehow had inside info.......

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:29 am

Feedorah (From official English FSS site)
http://www.toyspress.co.jp/FSSe/ch_mort ... ha017.html

from Chronicle 2005:

this is slightly different - more heavily armored compared to the one seen in JP Vol5, piloted by Dimos Hirarchy + Salome.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:00 pm

Inevitability wrote:Was thinking the same thing, especially considering it's one of only a handful of "un-released" MH designs I would would be interested in buying (1/100). Must admit I haven't been a fan of his newer stuff, prefering the original big, bulky, klunky types....
Kudos to the guy for doing it, although some of the detail is a little sloppy and the colour is not the white-ish pink I remember. Wonder if this was available @ the time because I fear it will never be released by V or WSC....
I agree. There's virtually 0% chance that Volks or WSC will release a Fedorah... it's just too old and too obscure now. As a result, I'd really like a chance to pick up a copy of that FAC Fedorah, if it becomes available... even if the overall quality isn't superb. I'm a big fan of the older, heavier designs as well. Like Apache. :)

To me the whole kit seems very angular, like it was designed with the help of a CAD program and somehow transfered to 3d form. The legs look very wrong, in pose/proportion and design. Again though as you suggest, there's a lot of admiration for his/their? efforts in attempting such a complex project. Orange Right has always been high amoungst the most requested designs and its crazy that its now actually been done by, as Hopping suggests, an "amateur". I do wonder, considering how much of this he would have had to "fudge", if he somehow had inside info.......
I don't mind the angular look too much. It always seemed to be a blockier look than the Green Left, judging by the existing artwork. The legs are the main thing that bug me... both the large feet, and the angle of the knee joint.... it's almost starting to look like a reverse-joint design. Like an AT-ST or something from Star Wars. If the legs could be straightened and slimmed a little, and if the feet were made a bit more elegant, I'd like the sculpt a lot more. After all, the Orange Right is the Jagd of the honorable/upper class Mirage Knights, I'd expect it to have more of a refined flair...

Another thing that worries me is size. If I'm ever to buy an OR Jagd kit, I'd like it to be in the same scale as one of my GL Jagds. Either proper 1/100, or roughly 1/144 like my old Kaiyodo kit...

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:14 am

Well, now that we have established that expressing a personal opinion is OK on a discussion board, I'd just like to ask what is it about Orange Right Jagd that gets people so worked up??? So many people claim they desperately want to see it made into kit form. Why exactly? Because it is big, or because it is yet to be shown in full?

Mirage Unveiling Ceremony... nice little piece of irony that was...

Oh, and those Merit Badges mentioned earlier... I think they come "free" when you mail in 100 of those Toyspress hologram stickers found on the boxes of original kits. From what I heard Nagano personally autographs each badge. :wink:

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:43 am

I think it's because it has been a mystery for so long. We have known about it from year one but haven't had an unobscured view of it yet.

It's nice to have twins though.

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:54 am

KOG wrote:The legs are the main thing that bug me... both the large feet, and the angle of the knee joint.... it's almost starting to look like a reverse-joint design. Like an AT-ST or something from Star Wars. If the legs could be straightened and slimmed a little, and if the feet were made a bit more elegant, I'd like the sculpt a lot more. After all, the Orange Right is the Jagd of the honorable/upper class Mirage Knights, I'd expect it to have more of a refined flair...
Exactly what I was thinking.
elemental wrote:I'd just like to ask what is it about Orange Right Jagd that gets people so worked up??? So many people claim they desperately want to see it made into kit form. Why exactly? Because it is big, or because it is yet to be shown in full?
Seeing is believing my friend..... In terms of size, elegance, extravagance and firepower the GLD is easily one of, if not "the" most impressive mecha designs ever to be produced in kit form. Actually, Australia Post weren't all that impressed (nor was I) when they decided the TT box was to heavy for them to handle insisting it be returned to Japan and re-packaged into 2 seperate items...

So, yes as Coby suggests it would be nice to have twins...... but only if the Volks crew did it :?

Rubel Colus, and anyone else who is interested, a larger "full page" picture of the Fed can be found in the back of english vol # 12. I for one would be very hesitant about purchasing that FAC kit (if it was ever made available) . The line work on the armour plating (in particular) is very average and one thing I really hate fixing.

sarion

Post by sarion » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:36 am

well i would rather have the WSC crew to do orange right.
as i own the volks 2992 version, compared to the WSC kit the Volks kit loses out in terms of final appearance if you plan to build it stock.

just look at the number of supports the Volks 2992 version needed, compared to WSC.... :(

i've gotta plan lots of modifications.... :?

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:53 am

All those metal supports... Volks Jagd... is it a model or a science experiment?