My Volks SSS Apache

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

KOG

My Volks SSS Apache

Post by KOG » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:35 pm

And to follow up the Bang Doll pics...

here's some shots of the SSS Apache I recently finished rebuilding/repainting.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:51 pm

Both the kit and background look great. The color of the background used in the pictures provide a bit of the sandy feel from the manga when the Apache was fighting with the Auge.

Inevitability

Post by Inevitability » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:53 am

Have considered buying this particular kit many times in the past, had never seen the detail "up-close" though so was always hesitant. Much appreciated N and nice work also.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:24 am

Sheizzel wrote:Both the kit and background look great. The color of the background used in the pictures provide a bit of the sandy feel from the manga when the Apache was fighting with the Auge.
More than that, the background complements the rusty red of the kit perfectly, in my opinion.

Let me put on my broadest australian accent and say that Apache looks noice... rooly noice.

Seriously, I think it looks even better than Bang. Very clean. :)

sarion

Post by sarion » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:11 pm

thanks for giving me good color reference for my kit :)
when i build it, whenever THAT happens.... :roll:

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:08 pm

Sheizzel wrote:Both the kit and background look great. The color of the background used in the pictures provide a bit of the sandy feel from the manga when the Apache was fighting with the Auge.
I hadn't thought about that when I picked the background. I was just looking for a color that would complement the kit well. But now that you mention it, it DOES suggest a sandy background. :)

I need to finish the Auge soon, and then pose them together with this same background....

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:12 pm

elemental wrote:More than that, the background complements the rusty red of the kit perfectly, in my opinion.

Let me put on my broadest australian accent and say that Apache looks noice... rooly noice.

Seriously, I think it looks even better than Bang. Very clean. :)
I'm just glad people are digging it. :) Usually Apache doesn't seem to get much love or attention. But I think it's a quite unique and captivating design...

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:14 pm

Inevitability wrote:Have considered buying this particular kit many times in the past, had never seen the detail "up-close" though so was always hesitant. Much appreciated N and nice work also.
Glad to help out. If you have a chance to get this kit, go for it. It's really nicely sculpted and detailed for a kit of its age.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:20 pm

sarion wrote:thanks for giving me good color reference for my kit :)
when i build it, whenever THAT happens.... :roll:
Haha. I actually spent a lot of time deciding on the exact color scheme for this kit. I referenced the official volks pics, looked at several finished examples on the web, and also studied the manga panels extensively.

Almost every paint job I've seen online has elements I dislike. Some follow the original color art illustration, and use a lot of yellow ochre.... but the final design of the Apache differes from the color art, so I don't think it's a great reference. Other paint jobs I've seen tend to skimp on certain details in one way or another...

So my paint job represents what I think is the ideal color scheme for the design, and all the various detailing is pulled from the manga, which clearly shows where all the little shiny silver bits should be...

The only thing really up to interpretation is the sword hilt... some do it in red, some do it in gold... I felt like a gold hilt didn't really suit apache, so I went with a compromise: red hilt with a gold band near the blade. I think it looks nice. :)

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:18 am

KOG wrote:
Glad to help out. If you have a chance to get this kit, go for it. It's really nicely sculpted and detailed for a kit of its age.
And it is far better than Elvis Lee's Art Gallery ver.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

errol

Post by errol » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:30 pm

Thanks for posting KOG. I really think it looks great. I wasn't really drawn to this design at first, But man, you really made it pop. Color is great and you really brought out all the details that I have never noticed before. What a masterpiece. I also agree with Elemental, I like the Apache more than the Bang. Can't believe they are hand painted. Very talented. Good to have you here.

errol

Post by errol » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:39 pm

Oh ya, could you possibly post a picture of a close up the head and face? I always like to see the variations between face designs. Most are all similiar with the triangle shape but with minor differences that give them all a unique charactor.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:50 pm

errol wrote:Thanks for posting KOG. I really think it looks great. I wasn't really drawn to this design at first, But man, you really made it pop. Color is great and you really brought out all the details that I have never noticed before. What a masterpiece. I also agree with Elemental, I like the Apache more than the Bang. Can't believe they are hand painted. Very talented. Good to have you here.
Thanks for the kind words!

I wasn't particularly obsessed with this design until I got my hands on my copy of the kit. But when I looked at the parts, I became quite impressed with the sculpting, and began to pay more attention to the unique style of this design. It doesn't really look anything like any other MH design... both in terms of overall form, and in terms of the 'native american' decorative motifs. Great detail is definitely one of the trademarks of the SSS series, especially compared with other works from around the same time period.

The Apache really ranks among my favorite MH designs. When I first painted the kit, it was a great many years ago... and I did a rather sloppy, rushed job on it. Since I like the design so much... I really felt it worth my while to revisit the project. So I tore it apart, and completely rebuilt and repainted it from the ground up. The new finish is sharper and smoother compared to the old work, and many color scheme corrections were made for the 2nd time around. I also picked up on a lot of details that I didn't bother with the 1st time... including all those little silver 'bolts' you see scattered around on the design.

I was very pleased with the end result, and I'm glad that others are enjoying it as well.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:52 pm

errol wrote:Oh ya, could you possibly post a picture of a close up the head and face? I always like to see the variations between face designs. Most are all similiar with the triangle shape but with minor differences that give them all a unique charactor.
Sure. I will be taking some more photos this weekend, probably.

The face on Apache is pretty different from the usual.