Work Shop Cast web site

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:40 pm

happy hopping wrote:A few yr. ago, you said the resin on recast is easier to work w/ vs. the original. So what prompt you to replace your recast w/ original nowadays?
I remember our discussions on recast vs original.

And I remember that I said that SOME recasts are easier to work on than SOME originals. In particular, some of the older Volks originals, mainly from AF series, used a peculiar light blue resin that is not very fun to work with. It seems 'harder' than currently used resins... making it more difficult to drill and sand. And it seems more liable to fracture under pressure, and less likely to bend. Volks also released kits in other resin colors, including a dark blue/black and even red and other colors. I haven't worked with these, so I can't say if they have the same properties as the light blue resin or not. The Berlin and LED Mirage w/ Flame Unit I built both used this old light blue resin. Recasts of these old AF kits can be more pleasant to work with since they use a friendlier white or off-white resin usually.

More recent originals are a different matter. Volks SSS and onwards, WSC stuff, Tani's Kaiyodo stuff, etc... These kits will generally use a high quality off-white or tan resin. The tan resin in particular seems great to work with. Different production runs seem to vary though, as I've heard of some Kaiyodo originals using a less-nice white resin. And some of my very old MM series kits use a not-so-nice white resin as well. But all recent Volks and WSC kits seem to use the very nice tan resin. In the case of THESE kits, recast resin quality is no better, and sometimes worse.

So to summarize:
-recast resin quality is often nicer than that of older kits
-recast resin quality is often similar or less nice than that of modern kits

As for why I'm now phasing out my recasts in favor of originals?

1) part of it is on principle. It's clear that recasts have been having a real impact on the GK market lately, and they may well be a contributing factor in the decline of the FSS GK industry. As such, I am phasing out recasts in favor of originals, when possible, and when affordable.

2) I have more money to spend on FSS stuff now than I did before, making originals more affordable.

3) and finally a very superficial reason - original boxes (especially those nice new silver Volks boxes) look so much nicer than those ugly plain cardboard recast boxes that are taking up space...

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:58 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone knows the brand name of those tan resin that Volks or WSC uses?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:13 pm

happy hopping wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone knows the brand name of those tan resin that Volks or WSC uses?
It's called HEI Cast 8107. Tan resin, wreaks of acetone... 2 minute pot-life. Viscosity is somewhere between 70 and 95 centipoise.

You can get similar 2-3 minute urethanes from the likes of Smooth On, Ciba and alumilite, for much cheaper too, I might add, though the latter is overly-viscous for my liking.
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:18 pm

John F. Moscato wrote:
happy hopping wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone knows the brand name of those tan resin that Volks or WSC uses?
It's called HEI Cast 8107. Tan resin, wreaks of acetone... 2 minute pot-life. Viscosity is somewhere between 70 and 95 centipoise.

You can get similar 2-3 minute urethanes from the likes of Smooth On, Ciba and alumilite, for much cheaper too, I might add, though the latter is overly-viscous for my liking.
Heh, yes, I've definitely noticed a distinct smell when I open up the bags for those tan resin kits for the first time...

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:37 am

KOG wrote:
cobywan wrote:Were you going to sell off the recasts after they are replaced with original kits? Or are you going to build the recasts and keep the originals pristine?
Well, it had been my plan to sell off most or all of the recasts that I got originals for. But I have not had much luck in selling off my stuff, even though I am prepared to sell for less than hobbyfan/E2046 are asking. Either people are just not in a buying mood, or they would rather shop at the big sites...

For a few designs, I'll build both the recast and the original probably. Like with WSC schpeltor. I can use one copy to make the Kaien version, and one copy to make the Water Dragon version. :)
Do you have a list of what you were willing to part with? I don't have a lot of gaps left in my collection though.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:20 am

WSC:

Engage Sr3
Terror Mirage
LED Mirage Flame Unit Parts
Schpeltor (not entirely sure I want to part with this one)
Bang Doll (hybrid kit containing some basic recast parts and some G system recast parts)

Volks:

Siren Alkana
Machine Mess Auge
Engage Sr1
Engage mk II
Engage Sr3
SAV Neptune
SAV Prominence
White Phantom
Heavy Vatshu
Ashura Refine Type
kneeling LED B4
SSS2002 KOG

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:58 pm

KOG wrote:Heh, yes, I've definitely noticed a distinct smell when I open up the bags for those tan resin kits for the first time...
Also very noticeable when you drill into large parts. But I think that smell is something nastier than acetone, and probably very toxic.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:52 am

I am afraid prolong exposure to those smell in long run does cause cancer. I forgot which type of cancers although I have read it elsewhere. I think thyroid cancer is one of them, but there are more types.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:53 pm

HLJ will be restocking a lot of the kits from WSC this month at discounted price. One f the kits includes WSC Jagd at 93100yen.

http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?Maker1=WSC ... =Sci&Dis=2

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:57 pm

Sheizzel wrote:HLJ will be restocking a lot of the kits from WSC this month at discounted price. One f the kits includes WSC Jagd at 93100yen.

No ashura. :cry:

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:03 pm

I'm interested in the kneeling LED B4

And maybe the Arkanna Siren too. PM me your price.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:17 am

Sheizzel wrote:HLJ will be restocking a lot of the kits from WSC this month at discounted price. One f the kits includes WSC Jagd at 93100yen.

Did HLJ said why the discount? Or just one of those summer sale thing? I heard their postal sys. is in trouble for a while (at least 2 weeks) and some sort of national vote of non-confidence this morning, and a national election on Sept 11. If Scott think these events can slow business down, that could be the reason of the timing of this sale.

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:55 am

happy hopping wrote:
Did HLJ said why the discount?
Yes, "Early Bird" special... a discount for pre-ordering.
Or just one of those summer sale thing?
Well, it's winter here. The world has two hemispheres, you know. :p
I heard their postal sys. is in trouble for a while (at least 2 weeks) and some sort of national vote of non-confidence this morning, and a national election on Sept 11. If Scott think these events can slow business down, that could be the reason of the timing of this sale.
:| HLJ's business is global. Why on earth would a local election affect sales of a specific range of resin kits? Sorry Happy, but you are reading too much into it.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:29 pm

happy hopping wrote:Did HLJ said why the discount? Or just one of those summer sale thing? I heard their postal sys. is in trouble for a while (at least 2 weeks) and some sort of national vote of non-confidence this morning, and a national election on Sept 11. If Scott think these events can slow business down, that could be the reason of the timing of this sale.
HLJ offers a 5% discount on pre-orders for many, MANY items. Not just these.