http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

is this real at all? or BS?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:57 pm

It's an unusual article. I wonder if it's on the level or not.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:49 pm

Tachyon wrote:It's an unusual article. I wonder if it's on the level or not.
Of course its on the level. Its the BBC. Thats not to say they don't make mistakes, but such things are quite rare.

And of course, the Japanese being robot obsessed, I expected them to be the first to create a very human looking robot. Most of the rest of the robot industry follows an unspoken rule to make their robots as inhuman looking as possible, fearing backlash from the human populace from an extreme reaction to a human-like robot.

I believe they underestimate our ability to adapt to and empathize with such a creation.

I wonder why you question if it is real. Are you not aware of the advances in robot technology in the last decade? Because of the advances in both computer and miniturization and motor control technologies, robotics has been advancing at a break-neck pace. Japan especially has gone berserk in producing prototype robots to be introduced in the civilian market for mass consumption (some of which already have. Inside 20 years, Japan is likely to be the robot capital of the world)
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:14 pm

It's real. I saw a feature on it on the Science Channel (cable television).

commissioner

Post by commissioner » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:37 pm

the only reason he built it female and "human-like" is because of the commercial prospects of a sex-slave bot is very viable.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:16 pm

What caused me to initially doubt the article was it mentioned the robot just sits in the chair. It doesn't do anything else. Later in the article it talks about people interacting with it. How do you interact with something that doesn't speak or leave its chair?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:36 pm

Tachyon wrote:What caused me to initially doubt the article was it mentioned the robot just sits in the chair. It doesn't do anything else. Later in the article it talks about people interacting with it. How do you interact with something that doesn't speak or leave its chair?
It reacts to people approaching, reacts to touch, and from what I remember, it can also raise it's arm to protect itself if someone tries to slap it. Kind of a weird thing to program in, but oh well. I think it also tracks movement (watches you when you are close).