Silicon Tribe Calvary R

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Silicon Tribe Calvary R

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:42 am

I heard from KOG before saying he heard rumors about Silicon Tribe Calvary R. A guy name "sharky" from another board posted the update from Silicon Tribe's site and it is now confirmed!

Looks nice so far, but still got a long ways to go till it is finished.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/silicon- ... lvary.html

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:24 pm

Cool. Since Volks is still dead in the water at the moment, this should be something to look forward to.

Thanks goes to YP for telling me about this "rumor" quite some time ago.

sarion
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:58 am

Post by sarion » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:16 pm

but it's 1/72, will look quite funny among my 1/100 kits...... :cry:

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:15 pm

sarion wrote:but it's 1/72, will look quite funny among my 1/100 kits...... :cry:
It's a funny thing, but Silicon Tribe's 1/72 kits are about the same size as a large-ish 1/100 kit, like WSC kits or recent Volks releases.

I'm not sure, but I think Volks LED V3 in 1/100 might be a tiny bit taller than Silicon Tribe's LED V3 in 1/72?

Silicon Tribe Hydra Mirage is also comparable in size to 1/100, even though it's marked as 1/72.

So I think Calvary R should look fine in the middle of a 1/100 collection.

sharky

Re: Silicon Tribe Calvary R

Post by sharky » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:50 am

Sheizzel wrote:I heard from KOG before saying he heard rumors about Silicon Tribe Calvary R. A guy name "sharky" from another board posted the update from Silicon Tribe's site and it is now confirmed!

Looks nice so far, but still got a long ways to go till it is finished.

http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/silicon- ... lvary.html
A guy name "sharky" :?
I'm here too!

Back on the topic. This one I'm kind of looking forward. Given what we've seen from the phantom, it will be a while before we see the finished kit.

sarion
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:58 am

Post by sarion » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:55 pm

KOG wrote:
sarion wrote:but it's 1/72, will look quite funny among my 1/100 kits...... :cry:
It's a funny thing, but Silicon Tribe's 1/72 kits are about the same size as a large-ish 1/100 kit, like WSC kits or recent Volks releases.

I'm not sure, but I think Volks LED V3 in 1/100 might be a tiny bit taller than Silicon Tribe's LED V3 in 1/72?

Silicon Tribe Hydra Mirage is also comparable in size to 1/100, even though it's marked as 1/72.

So I think Calvary R should look fine in the middle of a 1/100 collection.
when i checked the height of the recent 1/72 kits, like the Heavy Cross Mirage, it just seems to be a bit too tall, maybe taller than a WSC 1/100 KOG....

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:20 am

sarion wrote: when i checked the height of the recent 1/72 kits, like the Heavy Cross Mirage, it just seems to be a bit too tall, maybe taller than a WSC 1/100 KOG....

Heavy Cross isn't made by Silicon Tribe. Heavy Cross is made by Under Pressure (I think that's their name).

What I said about the size of 1/72 kits only applies to those made by Silicon Tribe...

I have the 1/72 LED V3 by Silicon Tribe and the 1/100 LED V3 by Volks. The ST kit definitely seems smaller. I also have the Volks 1/100 Hydra Mirage and the ST 1/72 kit. Again, size seems comparable.

User avatar
happy hopping
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 am

Post by happy hopping » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:46 am

When on earth did they make a Heavy Cross besides the one at FAC 2004? But the FAC 2004 is not by Kaiyodo, is it?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:14 am

happy hopping wrote:When on earth did they make a Heavy Cross besides the one at FAC 2004? But the FAC 2004 is not by Kaiyodo, is it?
Both KOG and sarion are talking about the very same 1/72 Heavy Cross sculpted by Under Pressure for FAC 2004. There isn't another Heavy Cross kit, except Wave's 1/144.

As mentioned, 1/72 kits from nowadays are pretty much 1/100 scale, although they may be slightly taller than 1/100s we're used to seeing back in the day. WSC KOG was once considered as big, but not when it is compared to kits made in recently years.

In my opinion, the only kit with the size of a true 1/72 scale is Akira Tani's 1/72 KOG AT.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:20 pm

A better way of putting it would be that most newer 1:100 kits are actually closer to 1:72.

Think about it... most MH are supposed to be about 15 metres to the naked shoulder. At 1:100 that would make them 15cm, plus a bit for the head. Most newer 1:100 kits are at least 20cm (usually more) to the shoulder.

I think the older style 1:100 kits were truer to their scale. But that's not to say I prefer them to the nice new big kits. :wink:

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:57 pm

Mmm... like Sheizzel said, one of the few "true" 1/72 MH kits seems to be the Kaiyodo 1/72 KOG AT. (Can't comment on the Volks 1/72 LED Mirage since I don't have it) Even the larger recent Volks kits (like the V3s) can't compare to the size of the 1/72 KOG AT. Likewise, WSC kits can't compare in size to the 1/72 KOG AT either. So I'd say recent Volks and WSC releases have a long way to go before they start reaching 1/72 size... Likewise, Silicon Tribe kits, no matter what they are labelled as, don't compare to the 1/72 KOG AT either.
elemental wrote:A better way of putting it would be that most newer 1:100 kits are actually closer to 1:72.

Think about it... most MH are supposed to be about 15 metres to the naked shoulder. At 1:100 that would make them 15cm, plus a bit for the head. Most newer 1:100 kits are at least 20cm (usually more) to the shoulder.

I think the older style 1:100 kits were truer to their scale. But that's not to say I prefer them to the nice new big kits. :wink:

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:31 am

Well, I don't have either of those true 1:72 kits, so I can't really say for sure. I can't even find kit data on the 1:72 KOG on toyspress site. :(

I agree that the newer kits are not true 1:72. But I remember I worked out the true scale of a number of kits (WSC and Volks) a few years ago, and from memory they were something like 1:78 or 1:80. That's definitely much closer to 1:72 than to 1:100. At true 1:100 scale, one centimetre represents 1 metre. So with Volks SAV Neptune, Phantom, and a bunch of other kits standing about 21cm or so at the naked shoulder... if they were true 1:100 kits that would mean the actual MH would be 21 metres to the shoulder (and more to the top of the head) which very much contradicts the old "approximately 15m to the shoulder" rule.

It's very simple mathematics. Especially when you are not lumbered with the imperial system :wink:

Please don't think I am all hung up on this scale issue. I much prefer the larger kits and I don't care what size they print on the box. I view them more as sculptures than scale models. Nagano doesn't seem too concerned with exact physical data on MHs and I that's fine by me.

When jack said "1/72 kits from nowadays are pretty much 1/100 scale" I knew he meant that kits of both scales are about the same size. My only point was that it's a little more correct to say 1:100 kits are pretty much 1:72.

I can be a pedantic bastard at times. 8)

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:08 am

Hm... I think 'old rule' may be the most important words when discussing the '15 meters to the shoulder' notion.

As we well know, Nagano has a penchant for revisionism.

Since there aren't a lot of concrete figures around... I'll just assume newer designs are meant to be taller. Which makes sense, since many stand on very high heels, unlike the older flat-footed designs.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:03 am

Yes that is a fair point. But if Nagano has changed his mind and decided newer designs are taller (aside from the heels), why have we not heard about it?

I think the real reason is commercial rivalry. I think WSC started the whole "large kit" thing (for whatever reason), and Volks has been catching up purely to keep fans happy. They can't have their 1:100 kits consistently out-sized by WSC now, can they?! :)

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:11 am

I think that, if it's the case, we haven't heard about it specifically because Nagano doesn't like to get hung up with technical details. I think it's been discussed before, that Nagano wants people to appreciate his work from a broad perspective, rather than have people get caught up with memorizing all kinds of technical trivia. That's why he deliberately avoids laying out pages and pages of technical specs for each and every machine.

As for the 2nd point... it's not really just a WSC vs Volks issue. Kaiyodo kits have shown the same trend. Old Kaiyodo kits are quite small, like old Volks kits. But newer ones show the same size increase as Volks. My 1/100 Kaiyodo Blood Temple seems roughly comparable in size to WSC and newer Volks stuff... and of course it's been widely mentioned that the new Tani 1/144 KOG V3 is a hell of a lot bigger than the older 1/144 KOG release.
elemental wrote:Yes that is a fair point. But if Nagano has changed his mind and decided newer designs are taller (aside from the heels), why have we not heard about it?

I think the real reason is commercial rivalry. I think WSC started the whole "large kit" thing (for whatever reason), and Volks has been catching up purely to keep fans happy. They can't have their 1:100 kits consistently out-sized by WSC now, can they?! :)

Post Reply