Suezhou Rap Sheet

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 am

So Arsenic is Chrome's mommy, not La Hurricane...The punctuation nothwithstanding...Way to go, Hitori!

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Living in the States, I have very little exposure to Mac and its OS.
But for the web, Shift-JIS format should be a universal thing since it's from the JIS.
If you are talking documents, a txt file extension saved in unicode or ASCII using Simple Text or BBEdit is a safe bet.

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:18 am

John, it seems you should be demanding a copy of Knight Flags and Smoke Walls and any other reference materials that are out there. If you haven't been given all the relevant reference materials and all you have to work from are a bunch of email attachments, how can they (publisher/editor/whoever... including us readers) expect you to produce a good translation?

John Wisnom

test

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:42 am

奴隷が解放された

John Wisnom

"Arsenic and I" from a file entitled powerguage

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:14 am

SF:サイレント・フローレス
SF: Silent Flawless
サイレント・フローレスはアルセニック・バランス公爵のファティマ「光のタイ・フォン」に与えられた称号で、人類にはなしえない無限の時間の中で特殊な任務を与えられたタイ・フォンに人類が敬意を込めて与えた称号である。
This is actually a title given to Arsenic Balance's Tai Phon of Light, to honor a fatima destined to perform special duties for eternity.
クローソーとタイ・フォンふたりに共通することは、このふたりともに「ファティマ」として生み出されたのではなく、人類の目的、探求のために作られた特殊な人工生命体であるということだろう。
What both Cloth and Tai Phon have is common is that they were not created as "fatima machines of destruction," but as artificial life forms to fulfill the dreams of the human race and explore.

・ファティマ・ラ・ユリケンヌ
B2-B1-B1-B1-B1:VVS1・M型
バランシェの実母、アルセニックの作った「風のファティマ」のひとり。
Chrome Ballanche's mother, created by Arsenic as one of his "Wind Fatimas."
[oops! :oops: LOL!] :P
定冠詞の「ラ」をつけるアルルのパートナー。
The "la" was added by her partner Arr Melody.
見ての通りカイエンのアウクソーと色以外はまったく同じデザインであるが、これはスーツのデザイナー、シアン夫人が同じものをアルルに渡したということだろう。
If you look closely, you'll notice her outfit matches that of Kaien's Auxo, except for the color. Designer Mrs. Cyan's doing…perhaps

・ファティマ・オプチカル・タイ・フォン
パワーゲージなし P/G Unknown:SF・M型
通称「光のタイ・フォン」。アルセニック・バランス・Xにより作られた特殊なファティマ。
A special fatima created by Arsenic Balance X.
[?]
現在はクラウン銀河のほぼ中心にいるらしい。その目的は不明である。
She is apparently now in the center of the Crown Star System, but we don't know why.
パワーゲージは不明。マンティック・スタイルという特殊なスーツスタイルだが、このデザインはのちの運命の3女神のオペラピンク色のスーツに引き継がれている。
Theマンティック? style suit she is wearing will be adopted by the Three Fates of Destiny in opera pink.

やれやれ!?

:roll:

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:38 am

hitori wrote:Living in the States, I have very little exposure to Mac and its OS.
But for the web, Shift-JIS format should be a universal thing since it's from the JIS.
If you are talking documents, a txt file extension saved in unicode or ASCII using Simple Text or BBEdit is a safe bet.
Tried everything...even hotmail..finally resorted to my windows laptop for the following information about Arsenic
Thanks for trying, though
BTW...nobody has a had a heck of a lot of exposure to Mac, stateside or elsewhere

Wanna hear some Windows hate stories circulated by Toys Press?

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 am

elemental wrote:John, it seems you should be demanding a copy of Knight Flags and Smoke Walls and any other reference materials that are out there. If you haven't been given all the relevant reference materials and all you have to work from are a bunch of email attachments, how can they (publisher/editor/whoever... including us readers) expect you to produce a good translation?
No truer words were ever spoken. However, among Toy Press' corporate strategies "maximizing information asymmetry" seems to be one of the top priorities. In other words, they like to keep secrets :wink: :wink:

I was given some reference materials, like the infamous e-book, but most of the sleeve notes, character descriptions, etc. were extracted from various sources and sent to be translated in rather cryptic word processor files.

I'm sorry, but I'm a translator, not a mind-reader...

As a matter of fact, after Japanese volume 8, the translation became kind of a guessing game...Truth [ding-dong :D ] or Consequences [booo :cry: ]

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:23 am

hi John, the e-book u're talking about... is it the Chronicle 2 & 3?
:shock:
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

John Wisnom

e-book

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 pm

Rubel Colus wrote:hi John, the e-book u're talking about... is it the Chronicle 2 & 3?

Yeah, I think so...It's in the Toys Press sales catalogue as out of print...Being a later compilation of the two dictionaries (encyclopedias), it may have been updated...

I have a confession to make, I dumped when I recycled everything else in print form...I'm sorry about that...I didn't know y'all existed at the time..

Buuuuuut...I copied it into an MSWord file to make it easier to search the entire content...Arch to Wundershutze, right?

Want it? It's 832k in size...

By the way, there's no item for Arsenic Balance :shock: Plenty of Lithium, Uranium and Chrome, though
So maybe you don't want it, after all

Just kidding...

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:26 pm

Rubel Colus wrote:hi John, the e-book u're talking about... is it the Chronicle 2 & 3?
PS: text only, no illustrations

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:31 pm

yeah i want it :D

pls email it to me? been looking for these 2 e-books... :?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm

May I get a copy, too?
Those characters ebooks were never circulated widely because of the lack of pretty pictures :D

Oh and thanks for the original text!
It was an interesting read.
One question...about the line with the Wind Fatima reference, do you still stand by your original translation?
If it was meant as a joke, my apologies... ^_^

kinwee

E-book

Post by kinwee » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:53 pm

Maybe you should create a link or something so people who wants to take a look at it can get it ???

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:10 pm

Send it to Tachy and post it on the site.

Unless of course there are copyright issues.

happy hopping

Re: Suezhou Rap Sheet

Post by happy hopping » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:10 pm

John Wisnom wrote:business....Would some one tell me what the plural of traffic means?
Exactly. I just assume all those words were mis-spelled by Japanese due to their poor English.

Like what is "Factorys"? And what on earth is the word "Factorys" going to do w/ a book that lists a pile of resin kits from various manufacturer?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet