Suezhou Rap Sheet

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Suezhou Rap Sheet

Post by Tachyon » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:10 pm

While we're on the subject of questions with the translation, why was Jhon Weinziel's first name rendered as John? Why was Mikhail Lester's first name given as Michael?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:34 pm

Empress Flame changed to Blazing Empress
-That was a name well established even in the English speaking world due to the popularity of its model kits.
It may be just my personal view, but Blazing Empress just sounds too lame.

Vol 25, p 60 talking about La Hurricane, "Chrome Ballanche's mother, created by Arsenic as one of his Wind Fatimas."
-Hurricane is not Chrome's mother; Arsenic is.

John Wisnom

Re: Suezhou Rap Sheet

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:26 am

Tachyon wrote:While we're on the subject of questions with the translation, why was Jhon Weinziel's first name rendered as John? Why was Mikhail Lester's first name given as Michael?
Excellent question....Because the names were all rendered into Japanese [katakana]...The romanization of them was not the translator's [emphasis on romanization-transliteration as compared to translation] chores...How Nagano and his editorial staff chose to make ABC out of non-English proper nouns was their business....Would some one tell me what the plural of traffic means?

Great thread! Thanks...

Mikhail Lester LOL! Wasn't that the dude who couldn't pronounce (remember, much less write) the name of his fatima correctly! You should all take a lesson...

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:35 am

hitori wrote:Empress Flame changed to Blazing Empress
-That was a name well established even in the English speaking world due to the popularity of its model kits.
It may be just my personal view, but Blazing Empress just sounds too lame.

Which English speaking world? It's an obvious Japanese-English chokuyaku....devoid of meaning or imagery
just the opposite in my vocabulary, Blaze Foley (If I Could Only Fly) for example...again, proper nouns were Nagano and his staff's baliwick. All I did was suggest...They made the final decision (and for all Suezhou contributors, the last decision)...But "Empress Flame?" Do you know what "to flame" means in English as a verb? Look it up. The Flaming Empress! LOL The Japanglish world can be very entertaining at time, but very embarassing, as well Come to think of it, the original kanji was a Chinese term, wasn't it?

Vol 25, p 60 talking about La Hurricane, "Chrome Ballanche's mother, created by Arsenic as one of his Wind Fatimas."
Here's the Japanese
ÅEÉtÉ@ÉeÉBÉ}ÅEÉâÅEÉÜÉäÉPÉìÉk
B2-B1-B1-B1-B1:VVS1•Må^
ÉoÉâÉìÉVÉFÇÃé¿ïÍÅAÉAÉãÉZÉjÉbÉNÇÃçÏÇ¡Ç?ÅuïóÇÃÉtÉ@ÉeÉBÉ}ÅvÇÃÇ–Ç?ÇËÅB
Chrome Ballanche's mother (japanese: Chrome-no-jitsubo; [jitsubo] means "real mother," [no] is the possessive particle; ergo,
the real mother of Chrome), created by Arsenic as one of his "Wind Fatimas."
The translation is correct as verified by Nagano's editorial staff.

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:06 am

hitori wrote:[
You just missed the punctuation, kiddo

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:17 am

i have seen empress "Frame" before... :))

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:25 am

junchoon wrote:i have seen empress "Frame" before... :))
A sense of humor!!!

Errol!

A sense of humor!!

Big Time!!!

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 pm

junchoon wrote:i have seen empress "Frame" before... :))
Very true, Peng Soon. :) All of us modellers know of Empress Frame. Along with LED Sarion/Salion and even (on some Japanese modelling sites) "RED Mirage". Tellol Mirage, anyone? Or should that be teLOL! Mirage :wink:

No modeller has ever come across a kit of "The Blazing Empress", or even the Brazing Empress, and I'd hazard a guess that is the main reason many of us don't like the sound of "blazing empress", regardless of whoever was responsible for dreaming that one up.

So John, when you ask "which english speaking world", I put it to you that some of us have been modelling FSS kits long before an official english translation was even a twinkle in Nagano's ego. And some of the non-modellers here have been following the story for a good deal longer. You are very much mistaken if you think "Empress Flame" is "devoid of meaning or imagery". From our point of view (i.e. as fans) that is the original and correct name, nothing more, nothing less.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:13 pm

well, basically i see that this is a case of old time fans wanting to keep what was commonly known or have discussed, versus what is "correct". one comparison is George Lucas' insisting on Han Solo not firing first in Star Wars Ep IV Special Edition, which was "correct" in Lucas' eyes, but a near-blasphermy to old time Star Wars fans, like me. well, whether "correct" or not, the final result of that SE is it does not seems natural. same as "Blazing Empress". a disclaimer here: by no means i am taking lightly of John's contributions for FSS, even though i did not own any English volumes yet.

peace,
wps

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:26 pm

John Wisnom wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that Arsenic is female and the mother of Chrome. If that sentence on p.60 is correct then Arsenic is MALE and Hurricane is Chrome's MOTHER.

Would someone please clarify? Who is Chrome's mother? Arsenic or Fatima Hurricane?

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:08 pm

elemental wrote:
John Wisnom wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that Arsenic is female and the mother of Chrome. If that sentence on p.60 is correct then Arsenic is MALE and Hurricane is Chrome's MOTHER.

Would someone please clarify? Who is Chrome's mother? Arsenic or Fatima Hurricane?

Now that I look it over again I think it is quite clear.

Arsenic = male
La Hurricane = female, created by arsenic

So basically Arsenic somehow had a child through his fatima.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:58 pm

John Wisnom wrote:Here's the Japanese
Chrome Ballanche's mother (japanese: Chrome-no-jitsubo; [jitsubo] means "real mother," [no] is the possessive particle; ergo,
From the messy quotations, I can see that you are not proficient in general coding practices, but you're in internet age.
For someone who deals with foreign languages, please at least take care to use the correct encoding.

Here's the Japanese text:
ファティマ・ラ・ユリケンヌ
いまだ物語には登場していないが,ハスハの騎士となったアルルのパートナーとして魔導大戰を戰う.
製作はクローム・バランシェの実の母、アルセニック・バランスである.
だがアルルを狙うセイレイのシクローンは彼女の姉でもあろ.
二重の苦しみのなか、アルルとユリケンヌは戦いを続けなければならないのだろうか?
このプラスチック・スーツはアウクソーのものとまったく同じである.
アルルにとってこのスーツをユリケヌに着せることは決断であったはずだ.
それでもメロディ王家のラベンダー色があしらってあるのはかすかな母国への思いが表われているのだろう.

The red letters are the line in question.
It says: Manufactured by Chrome Balanche's mother, Arsenic Balance.
Verified by Nagano's editorial staff?
There is no way that can ever be translated as you have.
Punctuation or not.

My quote comes from Knight Flags.
I can see that your source is different.
If you are unable to get the encoding right, please tell me what book you are quoting from; I'll try to look it up.

But small details aside, I am sure the main sentence is the same; as you have mentioned 実の母, which is also in the text I quote.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 am

So Arsenic is female again... ? Poor thing is having one hell of a week. She mustn't know whether she is coming or going. 8)

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:14 am

hitori wrote:
John Wisnom wrote:Here's the Japanese
From the messy quotations, I can see that you are not proficient in general coding practices, but you're in internet age.
For someone who deals with foreign languages, please at least take care to use the correct encoding.

Here's the Japanese text:
?????????????
???????????????,?????????????????????????????.
????????????????????????????????.
???????????????????????????.
???????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????.
?????????????????????????????????.
????????????????????????????????????????????????.

The red letters are the line in question.
It says: Manufactured by Chrome Balanche's mother, Arsenic Balance.
Verified by Nagano's editorial staff?
There is no way that can ever be translated as you have.
Punctuation or not.

My quote comes from Knight Flags.
I can see that your source is different.
If you are unable to get the encoding right, please tell me what book you are quoting from; I'll try to look it up.

But small details aside, I am sure the main sentence is the same; as you have mentioned ???, which is also in the text I quote.
That is not the Japanese text that was in front of me when I translated that part.
Tell me the coding and I'll send you the text....There is no book...It was contained in an e-mail attachment. I'm a Mac (classic) user, so if you would be so patient as tell me how to post Japanese, I would be very grateful

John Wisnom

Post by John Wisnom » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:13 am

So Arsenic is Chrome's mommy, not La Hurricane...The punctuation nothwithstanding...Way to go, Hitori!