Were do you get them?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:46 pm

I am from Western Canada too. I've mail ordered a few of my English editions from Seattle Kinokuniya. If you purchase over USD100.00 worth of books, then the shipping cost is free, however, you have to pay UPS for the customs brokerage plus GST. I paid Cdn$28.50 for customs brokerage plus GST on the 5 issues i purchased last fall. I am going to send an order to the Seattle store for Knight Flags, Smoke Walls and Chronicles next week.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:47 pm

How much were the 5 books?

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:05 pm

Kino's got Chronicles 2005 in stock?
Shinei!

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:07 pm

Canadian Fan

My mistake. I found my receipt. I ordered four issues-#13,15,17,19 (not five) back in 2004 and paid by VISA credit card. USD9.98 each plus USD11.00 shipping GST was C$3.76 plus C$28.55 for customs brokerage by UPS.
I purchased the old style staple bound #1-12 when i visited the Portland store in early 2003. I managed to buy issues 14, 16, 18, 20 (just over C$15 each) from a local comic shop but this method is now a deadend because the shop told me Diamond Comic Dist. was no longer interested in selling the FSS. This comic shop (www.imperialhobbies.ca) should still have about 4 or 5 issues from the first 12 volumes left over. I am sure they would like to get rid of these quickly. If you are missing some of the early books, you might want to try writing to them and maybe get a deal? However, I managed to special order issue #21 from Sophia books (www.sophiabooks.com) and paid just under C$17.00 after GST. In my opinion, it maybe more worth my while to place small orders through Sofia instead of directly to Kinokuniya because of the cost of shipping and UPS's high brokerage fee (Both charges have minimum charges).
It costs me a full tank of gas to drive to and back from Seattle plus the time. I got the last four volumes in the series by visiting Seattle Kinokuniya last month.

If I could read Japanese, it would be a lot easier since Iwase Books and Sakura Media both sell the Japanese editions locally.

What part of the West are you from?

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Nu Soard
No. The Seattle store does not have Chronicles in stock. But they will special order them for me according to Mr.Satoshi. The price is USD26.60
Smoke Walls is USD61.60 and Knight Flags is USD88.05. Orders over USD$100 have free shipping cost to Canada. It will be between 3-5 weeks for the store to get the books (from Japan?).
Anyway, I might still visit the Seattle store again in the August (to check out the Sci Fi museum) and maybe buy a copy of Tales of Joker and one of the Characters books (I think i saw some on the shelf?). I am interested to see what these books are like.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:48 pm

I am in regina and there is maybe 1 good comic shop, none willing to order or even have heard of the series.

One shop is part of diamonds distribution list, but they never called me back when I asked them to order for me.

I'm stuck ordering online etc.,

This site (www.imperialhobbies.ca) has the newer diamond versions? Because thats what i'd like to get my hands on now.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:20 pm

You people, read the FSS trade post on ebay, all 12 issues is only $55 total.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Tsunami65

Post by Tsunami65 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:55 am

I recently ordered book 25 of the FSS English releases from Akadot. A while later I recieved a quite large box from them (I thought, good, at least it won't be damaged, it is well packed). On opening, I discovered that they had sent me book 26 (which I already have), and not only that, but it was damaged (hole in the back of the book). There was no corresponding hole in the packaging, so I must assume that it was there when it was sent. I checked the invoice, and it was for book 25, but there was also something writted on it which I couldn't read.
I have E-mailed the address on the website, but as of this morning (about 4 days after mailing them) I have recieved no reply. My next stage is to phone them, an international phone call from the UK to the US so obviously I am not overly happy about doing this.
Has anyone else had problems with Akadot?

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:04 am

I bought the last four volumes I was missing from my collection from Akadot. No problems, and I also had a hand-written note on my invoice... unfortunately I couldn't read it because the scrawl was so bad.

As for them not contacting you... perhaps they are on holidays, 4th of July, and all that? Perhaps you should try emailing again?

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:22 pm

Yeah I have a serious problem reading that dudes writing :P

They've always been timely and my order is well packaged.

So long as they take paypal I have nothing to complain about.

Tsunami65

Post by Tsunami65 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:59 am

I phoned them about the incorrect order, and they wre apologetic. They have promised to re-send me book 25 as soon as they have it in stock, so am hopefull I will have it soon. They also said to return the book 26 I was sent by mistake and they will refund the postage.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:41 am

Canadian Fan

You might be interested in this info.
Today, UPS delivered my copies of Knight Flags USD92.05 and Chronicles 2005 USD26.60 from Kinokuniya. Shipping was free because my order was over USD100.00
UPS charged me CAD38.40 + gst for customs brokerage plus CAD10.12 for GST on the books. So, I had to pay $51.21 to the UPS man to get my books.
"Smoke Walls" is out of print, which I tried to order.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:45 pm

Thats just ridiculous.

UPS has been horrible over the 17.5 years through which i've seen them LEAVE packages on your doorstep, leave insufficient information, or completely deliver a package to a wrong address.

The whole brokerage thing is ridiculous too.

Smoke walls out of print? They emailed me about a week ago saying it was in stock. Maybe they only had one copy?

This is why i always order via airmail.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:09 am

Yeah. I am not thrilled about paying the brokerage fee either. But I figured that $38 is about the amount i would have to pay for gas to drive to and from Seattle (and the time).

Kinokuniya store told you that they have 1 copy of Smoke Walls in stock?
Which Kinokuniya store did you write to?

I find it a bit odd that Knight Flags (published in 2000/2001) is still available whereas Smoke Walls (published in 2003) is not. One would expect that the newer book would be more likely to be available.

I sure hope the publisher will do another print run of Smoke Walls.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:55 pm

My mistake, I meant akadot.

The book is still in stock!

http://www.akadotretail.com/shop/shop_s ... 4887750013

$60 US