A good beginners Mortar Headd resin kit?

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

LaughingMan

A good beginners Mortar Headd resin kit?

Post by LaughingMan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:43 pm

I have never built any kind of all resin kits before. Which MH kit do you recommend?

The MH kits that interests me are the Mighty Series, the Junchoon series, Cloudschatze, Bangdoll, Atoll, LED Mirage, Wunderschatze, Vatshu.
The Bangdoll design obviously looks difficult to build.

Also 1/144 or 1/100?

KOG

Re: A good beginners Mortar Headd resin kit?

Post by KOG » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:18 pm

LaughingMan wrote:I have never built any kind of all resin kits before. Which MH kit do you recommend?

The MH kits that interests me are the Mighty Series, the Junchoon series, Cloudschatze, Bangdoll, Atoll, LED Mirage, Wunderschatze, Vatshu.

Also 1/144 or 1/100?

I assume you want a recast to start with? If so, the first thing you need to do is find out which of the recasts you want are actually available at the moment. It's no good deciding on a kit, only to find out that you can't get one.

A Junchoon, LED Mirage, or Vatshu should usually be pretty simple (though it depends on the kit, of course).

I'd always go with 1/100... 1/144s have much smaller parts and details that can be harder to work with.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:43 pm

I am aware of the ethical debate about buying recast kits (there is a long thread about this issue on this site). But considering that it will be my first all resin kit, i don't want to make a very "expensive" mistake.

I have had previous experience with resin in the form of turret conversion kits for 1/35 scale M4Sherman and a T-34. The Sherman conversion turned out OK, but I nearly threw the T-34 turret conversion into the garbage bin because the parts break down was so poorly designed. The manufacturer copied the original Tamiya parts as a basis for the conversion. Let's just say the original Tamiya break down works fine for an IP kit, but not for resin material since resin tends to warp. The T34 turret conversion should have been a solid casting instead.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:56 pm

LaughingMan wrote:I am aware of the ethical debate about buying recast kits (there is a long thread about this issue on this site). But considering that it will be my first all resin kit, i don't want to make a very "expensive" mistake.
I think recasts are fine for starting out. Just don't make it an extensive habit if you decide to get a lot more kits later. Recasts are also fine for old (and really hard to find) kits, and for kits that you couldn't possibly afford an original for...

Anyways, you should browse sites like hobbyfan and E2046 (or wherever else you want to get your kit) and see which kits that you want are in stock. If you can point out some kits that you want that are in stock, it'll be easier to recommend which are better for starting out.

I have had previous experience with resin in the form of turret conversion kits for 1/35 scale M4Sherman and a T-34. The Sherman conversion turned out OK, but I nearly threw the T-34 turret conversion into the garbage bin because the parts break down was so poorly designed. The manufacturer copied the original Tamiya parts as a basis for the conversion. Let's just say the original Tamiya break down works fine for an IP kit, but not for resin material since resin tends to warp. The T34 turret conversion should have been a solid casting instead.
So I take it you are familiar with the need to sand and sometimes putty the resin parts before building? You know how to deal with pinholes and such? Do you know how to heat and reshape a warped part? And do you know about drilling, pinning, and proper glueing? If you're familiar with that stuff from building your tanks, then you should be ready to try a MH... The only thing about MHs that's really different from other resin kits is the fact that they often have a lot of small, delicate parts... and complex assembly. But the basic techniques needed are the same as any other resin.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:27 pm

Yes. I know resin can be bent after you soak in hot water or in the microwave. I've tried the hot water method, but not the microwave method. Also I am aware you need to ware a good filter mask and googles when drilling or sanding resin. Pin holes are filled with cyanacrylate with baking soda.

I am thinking of ordering from e2046 since they are the producers, while Hobbyfan is basically a middleman.

Yeah. I think a Junchoon would be best since it has a basic paint scheme.
Do i have to worry if the kit is SAV or SSS or whatever.? Supposedly some are articulated with poly caps while some are solid.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:54 am

And e2046 got it from 鴻發 at 灣仔, HK. And 鴻發 got it from their factory in China. If you are near 鴻發, you can buy all you want at a lower price than e2046 or hobbyfan.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

KOG

Post by KOG » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:09 am

LaughingMan wrote:Yes. I know resin can be bent after you soak in hot water or in the microwave. I've tried the hot water method, but not the microwave method. Also I am aware you need to ware a good filter mask and googles when drilling or sanding resin. Pin holes are filled with cyanacrylate with baking soda.
You can also heat the parts with an electric hair dryer. That's what I do. :)

I am thinking of ordering from e2046 since they are the producers, while Hobbyfan is basically a middleman.
I was under the impression that E2046 is a middleman as well...

Yeah. I think a Junchoon would be best since it has a basic paint scheme.
Do i have to worry if the kit is SAV or SSS or whatever.? Supposedly some are articulated with poly caps while some are solid.

Volks AF (assembly free) - oldest Volks series, fixed pose, but there is some freedom to arrange some joints at various angles to create different poses before glueing everything in place.

Volks SSS (super spirits series) - series after AF. Strictly fixed pose. Somewhat smaller in size than most other MH kits. Nice detail though.

Volks MM (mechanical moving) - these are the articulated kits. Use polycaps at joints. Not good for beginners...

Volks SAV (solid art version) - relatively recent kits. Strictly fixed pose, pretty good detail, straightforward construction.

In general, SAV and SSS are good for starting out. If in doubt about which series a kit is from, show me a link and I can give you that information.

sarion

Post by sarion » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 pm

LaughingMan wrote:I have never built any kind of all resin kits before. Which MH kit do you recommend?

Also 1/144 or 1/100?

i guess Vatshu should be the easiest in the list. either Volks of WSC 1/100 will do, though Volks is fixed pose while WSC is slightly more difficult due to the nature of WSC kits' joints (normally like ball joint, sort of 'free pose')

paint scheme easier than Junchoon (cos' not white haha...)

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:28 am

But do note the slight difference at the chin area: one was the comic ver., the other one is the official ver. I think WSC is the comic ver., and Volks is the official, but I'm too lazy to dig out the manga to confirm.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:28 pm

By the way, I'd like to mention that I have a good quality recast of the Volks SAV Vatshu (Decors type) for sale...

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:51 pm

sarion wrote: i guess Vatshu should be the easiest in the list. either Volks of WSC 1/100 will do, though Volks is fixed pose while WSC is slightly more difficult due to the nature of WSC kits' joints (normally like ball joint, sort of 'free pose')

paint scheme easier than Junchoon (cos' not white haha...)
hey sarion, i'm a newbie at resins too, and in fact I am thinking of getting a WSC Vatsu (hope i wont make a mess out of it :roll: :twisted: ).

BTW, I'm from SG too - where do u get ur kits from?
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

kinwee

Post by kinwee » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:58 am

where do you get your kits from colus. I am fron SG too

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Happy Hopping,

Is Hung Fat in Wanchai a store too? If so, can you also point out other local landmarks where i may find it? I may travel over there in December.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:28 am

http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wanchai5rk.jpg

They are a store, just like the above. If you want a list of all the stores, click the below link:

http://modelworld.dns2go.com/address.htm

Hey, shop till you drop. :D

when you buy a pet:

Adopt a pet

sarion

Post by sarion » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:37 pm

Rubel Colus wrote:hey sarion, i'm a newbie at resins too, and in fact I am thinking of getting a WSC Vatsu (hope i wont make a mess out of it :roll: :twisted: ).

BTW, I'm from SG too - where do u get ur kits from?
for WAVE IP still available at HobbyPoint, but that's all u can find.

no good places in SG for resins at all, for now cheapest will still be e2046 for recasts (due to shipping, e2046 much cheaper compared to Hobbyfan, even though kit price comparable)
go hobbyfan only if e2046 surely won't have it (but u gotta add ~US$25 to postage)

if u go HK then can go HongFat as mentioned above becos of reasons mentioned by others above.

for originals have always been getting through HLJ, all purchases no problem.
never tried Rainbow10 before though they are OK too as per other pple's experience.

else, we still have our Waxtrax pple last time for either originals or recasts (able to get a 2 great WSC originals then, sorry KOG, one of them is what u r looking for now :P)