FSS Pages Update Jun 20, 2005

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:54 am

KOG wrote:
I was asked... 'did I mean to spell Patraqushe?'

Well, I tried that... and Patraqushe brought up 699 results.

If we're trying to be helpful to new fans here, I think that's a good arguement for using the Patraqushe spelling.
Yeah, but in the manga, there are far more than 1 occastion that they have spelling errors. I just assume Japanese can't spell certain translated words correctly every time.

Remember they translate them from Japanese to English, so some alphabet sometimes becomes an approximation.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:48 am

lol, one full page in just a day, FSS names rise discussion amongst FSS fans :þ

Maybe we should make a brainstorming topic about names to decide which is the best to use :wink:

Also, stating in one of the main page of the FSS section that there are inconcistency with names spelling as FSS uses many complicated words that can only be approximatly translated to japanese, and that come back even more inconcistently when re-translated in english, and that most used name is used on the site, but also writing the various names as well as approximations known for a character/MH/place in its profile when needed.

For instance :
Patraqushe Mirage (aka KOG2, knight of titin 2) (translation inconcistency : patrusque, patraqushie)

About Makishi, isn't it the japanese spelling for max ?
If japanese has no "x" sound, and that they skip the first "i", it sounds like a bit like "maksh".
Well I have no knowledge in japanese so I let decide those who know japanese better than me^^.

Writing the japanese word, if possible, would be great too for google search^^.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:30 pm

hitori wrote:Maximum, Meeth, Lithium and Arsenic's name are Ballance.
And Chrome's name is Ballanche.
Correction: Meeth is Ballanche.
Donno why I put her in Ballance... :?
Falk wrote:About Makishi, isn't it the japanese spelling for max ?
If japanese has no "x" sound, and that they skip the first "i", it sounds like a bit like "maksh".
Well I have no knowledge in japanese so I let decide those who know japanese better than me^^.

Japanese doesn't have an X sound?
There is no one character with that sound, but if you know basic Japanese, you'd know how to use two characters together.
The sound X makes in this case is k-s.
Max would be written: Ma k ku s
マック is in one breath.
It would be read: Maks with a harsh k.

Makishi is, as mentioned before 蒔子.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:52 pm

ok, some things to consider

for the MH pages, are you guys gonna include detail stuffs such as serial no., alphabet no.?

One thing i noticed is the use of the term "Type". For e.g. Terror Mirage is "Type G". What we are referring to is in fact 形式 in JP, and perhaps it is better to use the word "Form" instead of "Type". Reason is, Nagano is now using another description, for e.g. in the latest July NT, we can see the term "Type G" referring to the Cross Mirage, and "Type J" is the Jagd Mirage. So if we continue to use "Type" when referring to 形式 (Form) then we will cause confusion.

Other less important stuff like details of KOG AT, its formal name is Knight of Titin D2.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:15 pm

Thank you, everyone, for the excellent information. I will certainly change the profiles and integrate this information.

Yes, it's true I sometimes alter details of Nu Soard's profiles before posting them online. I sometimes worry he'll get frustrated with me but I want to try and work towards consistency with the English editions (where it's reasonable, anyways). That being said, I want to take this chance to mention that I appreciate being able to accept Nu Soard's work. He's not only a dedicated fan and researcher but a good writer and a good guy. How often do you run into people like that?

Anyways, back on topic: thanks for the great feedback. I'll take time this week and repair those profiles before working on the Siren pages.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:45 pm

hitori wrote:
hitori wrote:Maximum, Meeth, Lithium and Arsenic's name are Ballance.
And Chrome's name is Ballanche.
Correction: Meeth is Ballanche.
Donno why I put her in Ballance... :?
Falk wrote:About Makishi, isn't it the japanese spelling for max ?

Japanese doesn't have an X sound?
There is no one character with that sound, but if you know basic Japanese, you'd know how to use two characters together.
マック is in one breath.

Xroxs Harman?

These pages are great. Keep up the good work.

Falk

Post by Falk » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:52 pm

hitori wrote:Japanese doesn't have an X sound?
マック is in one breath.

M'kay^^
I tried to learn the kana a few years ago, but I forget them faster than it takes to say this sentence^^.
Thanks for explaining that, Makishi is indeed quite different from Makkus.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:39 am

From what I remember from the very few Japanese lessons my ex-girlfriend gave me, the way you would write "Max" in Katakana would be:

Ma
Ku
Su

The "u" in the Ku portion of the Katakana is almost silent...its pronounced so quikly that it is easily missed. The "u" in the Su kana is pretty much silent, like the "Su" in Desu.

In general, a consanant must be followed by a vowel except in the case of "K" (sometimes) and "N". For example, my last name is Franklin. In Katakana it would be written as:

Fu
Ra
N
Ka
Ri
N

When you say it fast enough, it sounds like "Franklin" with a heavy accent...

So I don't think "Makishi" is the Katakana spelling for "Max". That would most likely be Makusu.
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:50 am

Eh, wouldn't it be more like...

Fu Re - N Ku Ri N

With the "-" being that symbol used in conjunction with katakana characters to indicate an extended vowel sound.

The usage of Re would better approximate the way we pronounce the name in english. Since japanese Re sounds like the word 'ray' in english. More or less. Ra sounds more like the word 'raw' in english... and that would make your name sound a bit funny...

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:01 am

Rubel Colus wrote:ok, some things to consider

for the MH pages, are you guys gonna include detail stuffs such as serial no., alphabet no.?

One thing i noticed is the use of the term "Type". For e.g. Terror Mirage is "Type G". What we are referring to is in fact 形式 in JP, and perhaps it is better to use the word "Form" instead of "Type". Reason is, Nagano is now using another description, for e.g. in the latest July NT, we can see the term "Type G" referring to the Cross Mirage, and "Type J" is the Jagd Mirage. So if we continue to use "Type" when referring to 形式 (Form) then we will cause confusion.
I hope it won't confuse anyone!

My decision to use the term "Type" over "Serial no" was I was following the model of the writeup on the LED Mirage found in English volume 6, there the LED Mirage's "Type" was listed as "Mirage B"
I decided to leave out "Serial No" because with AKD models, (specifically the Mirages) their serial numbers are based on their engines. Other countries don't seem to follow that particular methodology for their MH forces.
Also on the Jagd Mirage writeup in English volume 20, its got the term "Design" in the place where I use the term "Type".

With the KOG AT, what I have listed as its "Type" is probably its "Alphabet Code" (D-2. The Jagd Mirage is D-9. The LED Mirage is B-1 etc) for type I should probably put K.O.G. ver4(?) Mirage D2 combining both its form and its alphabet code. A good number of the AKD MH's are detailed in this fashion, however most of the non-AKD MH's don't have this much detail about their Serial Numbers and "Types" and "Forms" to be so specific about them, thus I decided to use the general term "Type" to refer it its Model/styling, like Mirage B, or Siren A or Atoll BS, Atoll SKS, Atoll ESSQ etc.

And of course, with Nagano constantly evolving the details of his universe, things get changed with time. So now with the Internal Structure of MH article we get "Type" (actually Chasis Type?) which corresponds to the MH's basic design function of Powerful or Speedy (Lion type or Cheetah type?) Man do I want a full translation of that article! It would help so much I think.
Other less important stuff like details of KOG AT, its formal name is Knight of Titin D2.

Knight of Titin?

Titan? Like the progenitors of the Greek Gods? Or perhaps Knight of Titanium?

Curious.
Shinei!

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 am

KOG wrote:Eh, wouldn't it be more like...

Fu Re - N Ku Ri N

With the "-" being that symbol used in conjunction with katakana characters to indicate an extended vowel sound.

The usage of Re would better approximate the way we pronounce the name in english. Since japanese Re sounds like the word 'ray' in english. More or less. Ra sounds more like the word 'raw' in english... and that would make your name sound a bit funny...
Yes, you would think so, but my "Ex" (who was Japanese and born/raised in Japan) pronounced it like "Furankarin" "FuRenkarin" is phonetically more accurate, but thats not the way she pronounced it, nor the way she taught me to write it in Kana (which I've forgotten of course, I just remember the structure lessons)
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:27 am

Heh, how very strange.

Although, I suspect that in the case of not-so-common english words, the katakana interpretations may vary from person to person...

Aside from the Ra/Re issue... I find the use of Ka instead of Ku to be very odd.

I mean, if you were going to write the katakana version of Frank, you would use Fu Re N Ku. Or Fu Ra N Ku I suppose.... depending on preference.

And since Franklin is pronounced just like Frank + Lin... I would have thought the Ku would still be used.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:52 pm

The profiles for Maximum, Terror Mirage and Knight of Gold 2 have been updated. I invite all of you for a 2nd round of reviews to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Next up, Sirens!
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

hitori

Post by hitori » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:06 pm

Looks good sir! :D
Thanks for the quick update.