Wave 1/100 LED Mirage

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Mave

Wave 1/100 LED Mirage

Post by Mave » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi guys, been building a Wave 1/100 plastic LED lately and its partially finished. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.
(I could also use some pointers on lighting and phototaking stuff too :) )

Full body shot

jlyc

Post by jlyc » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:16 pm

awesome!! it's really a great kit...i love mine!!

here's my partially completed wave...

just a question...the red stripes on the legs, are they painted or decal? [/img]

Mave

Post by Mave » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:15 pm

Its an OK kit...it wont make things easy for you but it isnt a nightmare either :roll:

The red are sprayed and the flame symbols are then handpainted over.

And a blue Mirage cross, thats really different but cool :D

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:00 am

Hi Mave

If that's a plastic model, it looks pretty good. If you want to make your photos look better, using a fabric background or even using a sheet or white cardboard will give a much more professional look. Pics of models on work desks or the like look messy, to me at least, but good enough for work in progress shots.

Be proud of your work and show it off! :)

Mave

Post by Mave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:04 am

Hi elemental

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any good advice on postprocessing the pics?

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:40 pm

Not really.

Adjust the colour balance/brightness if you have to, but that's about it.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:56 pm

I found this page while searching for some bulldozer pictures :
http://www9.ocn.ne.jp/~h255s/newpage4.html
This guy collects mining et equipment vehicles and makes some trully professional pictures of it (well, with professionnal equipment...).
Of course it requires some good camera and everything but at least you can see how he makes th elight set-up, with a white plate to reflect light and things like that, brwose thgough the other pages to see his set-up.

About postprocessing th epictures, mmh, brightness and contrast as Elemental said, levels works well to (in photoshop alright), it's almost the same but not totally.
You see a diagram displaying the amount of pixels on your picture sorted by luminosity.
You can set the minimum and maximum of the luminosity range on your picture (I use this when I scanned a drawing for instance, so I have a relatively good control on how I'll clean the dusts and useless pen brush, while not removing important infos from the drawing).
And you can set the average, and a few more options.

I would also recomand using one of th eoption that affects colors.
The saturation for instance, color balance, variations...
Cuz' when you took the photo, your room lighning may be to yellow, or to blue. With those options you can fake a totally neutral lightning.
I like the "selective correction" option. You have a good control on each color range (red, blue, cyan, magenta, yellow, green, white, black and grey), for instance Mave's first picture is quite blue.
You can apply a selective correction, and modify only the cyan/blue informations of the picture to get a neutral white, depending on the wanted results.
Well it's compromise anyway, as it'll slightly modify the rest of the picture too, you can duplicate the picture, and modify only certain parts of it but you have to take care not to push it to far or the whole lightning may look wrong in the end.

I like the eyelashes you painted under the eyes^^.

Mave

Post by Mave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Great site Falk, thanks alot.

The lashes was shamelessly stolen from this pic :oops:

Hence my question a couple of days earlier in FSS talk section about Mirage knight numbers. Im gonna make this LED number III.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:18 am

4Wheel, I like the link, but wouldn't it be nice if there is some american photographer link with the same thing so we don't have to read japanese.

Not to mention some of his link is dead, like when you click "mirror"
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

sarion

Post by sarion » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:18 pm

well i would suggest getting a 2 lamp setup (useful for modelling anyway) so that at least u would get light in one side and pure shadow on other, unless u use a reflective board like the website link but even that has it's limitations.

3 lamps will be perfect, not sure whether incandescent or flourescent is better though, but with current digital cameras just adjust white balance and both light source should not be an issue.

get a tripod, dun use flash, and use smallest aperture to bring out all the details.

nothing 'shameless' abt those eyelashes, the WSC Water Dragon kit in Mortar Headd Saga (KOG cover version) also has them :)

Mave

Post by Mave » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:14 pm

Hi again guys. Finally finished the LED with Boomerang Unit.
Again, comments and criticism are welcomed.

The pics didnt turn out like I wanted them to though...something is messed up with the lightning and I coudnt find a decent tripod :|

And I also tried alittle with white background...didnt matter much :|

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Not bad... not bad at all. Looks like you built Aisha's LED?

I like the pearly white finish.

The added 'V3 style' markings are nice as well.

I would note that you missed painting the green 'sensor thingy' on the inner side of the shield. It's the little rounded heart-shaped area at the bottom tip of the inside face of the shield.

Are those giant FEMC letters on the outside face of the shield sculpted into the kit? Or are they decals? Or did you add them personally?

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:44 am

cool... really nicely done... you really motivated me to finally finish building my own copy... :)

camui507

Post by camui507 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:24 am

that lookds awsome, I hope the one I build comes out that well :D :D :D

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:02 am

Impressive line-work. :)