What are Tales of Joker?

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

LaughingMan

What are Tales of Joker?

Post by LaughingMan » Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:53 pm

Generally, what are the contents inside the Tales of Joker? Seems like Toyspress has released up to 37 issues so far.

I cannot read Japanese, so instead I have collected almost all of the English version of the FSS manga and purchased the FSS Outlines.

Now I am interested in buying other FSS related special books.

I am aware that their are other "relatively" recent special FSS books such as Joker 3100, Smoke Walls, Knight Flags, Factorys 01-04, The Five Star Stories Chronicle 2005. Are any of these special books a compilation of the ToJ series? I don't want to buy "redundant" material since these books are quite expensive and i cannot read Japanese. I 'll be buying these books for the artwork/pictures. So, would it be financially better to buy only books such as Knight Flags instead of collecting ToJ?

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:01 pm

I would consider not buying Tales of Joker as it is mainly a reprint of manga after it's appeared in Newtype Magazine and before it's collected in books.

Knight Flags and Smoke Walls are very cool.
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:12 am

TOJ is in Japanese. Like what Tachyon said, most of the TOJs consolidate about 2-4 months of the manga. Other contents are not consistent, sometimes model or movie discussion, sometimes interviews. Its really meant for the very hardcore fan.

IMO, some of the TOJs esp the first 11 or so, are invaluable becoz there were alot of scenes that were either cut or edited from the final version of the complied books.

Joker 3100 - Art book. Quite an old book, published in the 90s?

Knight Flags - Characters Book 10. Awesome must-have for fans. Thick book full of characters and MH art. Alot of details but all in JP. Names are given in Eng. Chara and MH appearing in stories #5 Chivalries and #6 Majestic Stand. Excellent print quality!

Smoke Walls - Characters Book 11. New characters and MH art, for those appearing in Majestic Stand. Internal Structure of MH (MH breakdown illustration). Excellent print quality!

Factorys 01-04 - Model kits catalogue for kits made in 2001-04.

The Five Star Stories Chronicle 2005 - Thick book 300+pages, lots of small pictures of chara/MH, some very old info/pics, mostly in JP but names of chara/MH and some tables are in Eng. Basically a big compliation of various older publication, good for those who dont have the other books, but again i say the pictures are small, print quality average.
Looking for:
- FSS Eng Vol 1(Black cover)

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:38 pm

Thank you.
I am going to put in an order for Knight Flags, FSS Chronicle 2005, Smoke Walls and Factorys 01-04.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:59 pm

Could you put a second Knightflags for me please ? :D

j/k :P

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:11 am

I was actually wondering what the FSS Outline was. Its on akadot for sale, and looks relatively newer.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:31 am

Candian FSS Fan wrote:I was actually wondering what the FSS Outline was. Its on akadot for sale, and looks relatively newer.
FSS Outline - softcover magazine about everything Nagano designed. Contents are about 90%(?) similar to the out-of-print FSS Issues. The part about FSS Majestic Stand, u get some small pictures of some of the main roles/MHs in each country. Not too bad, I quite like it, but take note its not all FSS and most pictures are small. Would've been easier if i've pictures to show :?
Looking for:

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:07 am

FSS Outline was published end of 2001. I bought my copy in 2002 on the recommendation of Henry Lo who dropped by in town. Henry are you still around? There is large amount of the book devoted to interview and biographical information about Mamoru Nagano. Most of the FSS mecha and character illustrations in the book are small and they mostly appear in the last six volumes of the English series.

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:27 am

Maybe someone is interested in this information?

Today, I visited the Kinokuniya store at Beaverton, Oregon (near Portland) and bought Tales of Joker 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 and 19 for USD1.00 EACH. The original price was USD12.00 each. There are still some copies of these left over.

The same store is trying to get rid of the old staple bound versions of the FIRST TWELVE volumes for USD1.00 each. They seemed to have most of the first twelve books.

You can find this books dumped on the floor underneath a table by the front counter.

I have never seen the insides of a Tales of Joker before and now that i have seen them, I honestly would not pay the full price for these. I definitely don't plan to collect TOJ.

Rubel Colus

Post by Rubel Colus » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:39 am

!!! $1 ?!!~~ u lucky .....

check out book 3 for the AKD army info. also notice that many parts esp the battle between the ground troops of AKD and Seeble are edited out of the final version.
Looking for:

LaughingMan

Post by LaughingMan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:00 pm

Rubel Colus

I have not carefully done a comparison, but I remember that you have mentioned before that the manga pages found in the first 11 issues of TOJ contain some frames of the story that are not found in the English translated version. When I thumbed through the pages last night, it appears there are some frames that are not in my English manga. I wonder why the publisher edited out some of the frames?