FSS English Book 4

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

Canadian FSS Fan

FSS English Book 4

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Sun May 08, 2005 2:03 am

Hi guys, I was going to order Book 4 from Akadot but it was on special order status. I emailed them about this and they said that it was being reprinted.

Do any of you know why it might need to be reprinted or if there was anything wrong with what was out there?

And also, by reading books 5 & 6 after 3, would I wreck anything or not?

Thanks.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Sun May 08, 2005 3:05 pm

Its probably close to being "out of stock" so they're making another print run. Toyspress makes those in limited runs because it doesn't sell high numbers quickly, but apparently it does sell regularly enough to do frequent reprints.
Its also possible that some things are going to be changed, so the whole run is being reprinted. The original author, Mamorou Nagano is redoing some of his original work and standardizing some of the terminology in the manga that gets switched around a lot (i.e. he hadn't settled on anything "concrete" until recently) so that could be another reason for the reprint, but I don't think so.

As for reading them out of order...yeah, that'll mess you up. Since its an ongoing saga, and each "book" is pretty much a continuous story, reading them out of order will be somewhat confusing. English books 4 and 5 comprise Japanese book 2, so you need to read #4 before #5. English 6, 7, and 8 comprise Japanese book 3, and this was a direct continuation of book 2, so 4 and 5 need be read before tackling 6, 7 and 8.

Also be aware that when a new "chapter" is begun, it oftentimes referrences previous chapters, so reading the entire thing in order is almost essential.
Shinei!

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Sun May 08, 2005 3:58 pm

Ah, thanks alot!

I figured that maybe in some cases the story would jump from place to place but it seems like the first few books are continuous in nature. Maybe i'll go hunt in some local comic shops :P

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon May 09, 2005 9:41 pm

Candian FSS Fan wrote:Ah, thanks alot!

I figured that maybe in some cases the story would jump from place to place but it seems like the first few books are continuous in nature. Maybe i'll go hunt in some local comic shops :P
Well, yes, from time to time, FSS jumps around in both time and dimension (to alternat universes etc) but when it does, its always relevant to either the current story or setting something up for a future story (such as when it jumps to the past to show Dis Vosjasforth's bid for leadership of the AKD Divers guild, who later becomes the "main villian" of the Majestic Stand chapter of the tale some 5 books later) but overall, the stories make much more sense when read in order.
Shinei!

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Tue May 10, 2005 2:14 am

Well, the local shop here has book 4 on order, the only thing thats bugging me is whether or not i should have waited for the reprints.

Everything going to be ok or is a reprint a really big deal?

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Tue May 10, 2005 10:34 am

A reprint could be a big deal...but there are so many, there's not much you can do. You'll probably wait forever and a day if you are trying to wait for the latest ones.

S

Canadian FSS Fan

Post by Canadian FSS Fan » Wed May 11, 2005 7:22 pm

Ah, you see I was thinking that maybe the art or something like the notes would have been changed.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Lalasa

Post by Lalasa » Fri May 13, 2005 12:34 am

Candian FSS Fan wrote:Ah, you see I was thinking that maybe the art or something like the notes would have been changed.
There will probably be minor changes in artwork and even maybe some information if a major reprint is under way. Then again, there might not be at all and sometimes, no information is given about the changes or lack of one.

It sems that old version might have correct information on some parts, but have very bad information on others. The new version might have corrected the bad information, but left some of the others still in there, and also take out good artwork that was in the first. It's always a...what's the expression *grimacing* (I hope I'm being clear. :))...game of Russion Roullette to wait for the reprint.

S