The "Gathering"

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

The "Gathering"

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:20 pm

Today is April, 1st . So show your MHs!

I'm the first to say that I didn't get to finish mine :oops: . I wasted a lot of paint and primer by stripping and repainting. Now I finally ran out of primers so I'll be ordering a new batch soon.

Not much to look at, but something is better than nothing>_<.

yp

Post by yp » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:10 am

Yeah, it is April 1st... I am no-where near finishing the Last-Junchoon...
So, it will be just the Speed^^ Actually, I might be able to take more pictures of the Schpeltor too. Anyhow, here it goes

bhop

Post by bhop » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:26 am

My Mirage B4

I may go back and try to gloss it up some, as i'm not very happy with the overall finish of the model.. we'll see I guess...

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:44 am

If the color was meant to be the official color, then the color isn't done right.

Second, this MH is not meant to be 2 tone pink. The upper body and the lower body is not meant to be 2 different colors.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:12 pm

Mmh I like it, I prefere a softer pink, and I think I also prefere when it's not semi-transparent (like the official pictures of the volks kneeling B4, it has a soft metallic paint, very nice), but it looks great anyway, and the blue dots contrast the pink well (while those dots painted in green on a Bubiron don't look that great).

(Mmh I like that shape of the armor on the Cloudschatze right arm)

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:36 am

happy hopping wrote:Second, this MH is not meant to be 2 tone pink. The upper body and the lower body is not meant to be 2 different colors.
The builder can paint their kit any way they want, even if it's some blinding neon green, or something... There's no law saying it has to be the correct shade of whatever color...

As for BHops here, I rather like it

jlyc

Post by jlyc » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:53 am

Akuma Sephitaro wrote:
happy hopping wrote:Second, this MH is not meant to be 2 tone pink. The upper body and the lower body is not meant to be 2 different colors.
The builder can paint their kit any way they want, even if it's some blinding neon green, or something... There's no law saying it has to be the correct shade of whatever color...

As for BHops here, I rather like it
i agree...do as you like. but it's pretty well-known that FSS modelers can be quite anal to Nagano's specifications at times. i've sort of grown past the point where i do all modeling according to the line-art, especially for FSS since Nagano is quite inconsistent with his designs at times (artbook vs manga, variations in manga, etc). 8)

bhop

Post by bhop » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:11 am

happy hopping wrote:If the color was meant to be the official color, then the color isn't done right.

Second, this MH is not meant to be 2 tone pink. The upper body and the lower body is not meant to be 2 different colors.

First off. It's not two different colors... :| But I can see why you would think that after looking at the photos more closely.

I think it may be the lighting that made it look that way or something, possibly due to the lack of detail under the leg armor compared to the upper shoulder armor. I actually didn't even notice it in the pic until someone pointed it out, but haven't had a chance to re-shoot it.

Secondly, as far as the tone of the color, this is the only transparent pink paint I could find that would actually remain transparent after painting it on, and it DOES closely resemble the only color image of the MH that I had when I was building this. (from the Five Star Stories Outline book).
Maybe you have more images of it, I don't. I don't even know what the "official" color is supposed to be.

Third. I'm relatively new to FSS and this is my first MH model. I hadn't even seen this particular MH before I aquired the model in a trade. Hell, I haven't even finished reading the U.S. versions of the Manga. If you're a lineart/color freak, that's fine, not everyone is.

If you don't like it, you can scroll down really fast when your browser gets to mine so you don't have to look at it. Or you can go build your own or something...

Sorry if this reply sounds harsh, but I thought your reply sounded kinda rude. *shrug*

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:03 am

We've talked about our opinions about the coloring for bhop's B4 on other boards. I invited bhop to this gathering and to post his pictures in here because I saw him working on his first FSS kit and was doing a good job of it.

I personally think he did a very nice job on his B4, not to mention a clear armor kit to start off with.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:39 am

Akuma Sephitaro wrote: The builder can paint their kit any way they want, even if it's some blinding neon green, or something... There's no law saying it has to be the correct shade of whatever color...

t
True. There are a good chunk of FSS modellers that use a ariety of colors rather than the official color. Hey you can paint the above in green if it looks good.

But you can tell from the above pic. that the red/pink color is just not right, regardless whether it is official color, although it is clear he tries to make it to be official color, which according to you, it's besides the pt.

The color just doesn't look right, not because it is not the official color, but the shad of pink/red in itself. I don't know how else to say it.

However, for comparison purpose, here's a link for a pleasant looking B4, pleasant for your eyes as far as the color mixing/shading is concerned anyway:

http://knightclub.cool.ne.jp/knight/des/b47.html
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

bhop

Post by bhop » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:03 am

happy hopping wrote:
True. There are a good chunk of FSS modellers that use a ariety of colors rather than the official color. Hey you can paint the above in green if it looks good.

But you can tell from the above pic. that the red/pink color is just not right, regardless whether it is official color, although it is clear he tries to make it to be official color, which according to you, it's besides the pt.

The color just doesn't look right, not because it is not the official color, but the shad of pink/red in itself. I don't know how else to say it.

However, for comparison purpose, here's a link for a pleasant looking B4, pleasant for your eyes as far as the color mixing/shading is concerned anyway:

http://knightclub.cool.ne.jp/knight/des/b47.html
Y'know, even though you're pretty much baggin' on my model and calling it "unpleasant to look at", I do agree that the shade in your link is better than the shade I ended up with, however, that doesn't mean mine is, in fact, unpleasant, that's your opinion which i'm fine with.

I don't know what kind of paint that guy used. I tried finding a nice transparent pink, even making my own by mixing different clears and pinks from a few different brands. Nothing I tried would stick right on the unprimed clear resin, or spray on transparent. Maybe whatever that guy's using isn't available in the U.S. I dunno... I ended up using a Tamiya color made for R/C cars which happened to be transparent pink, just a little darker than I really wanted. It may not be the exact color, but I think it's fine.
(maybe Mecha designers should start adding pantone colors in their design info to appease these people)

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:03 am

hi bhop, that's a nice B4. just ignore hh's comments. sometimes he just don't make much sense at all.

wps

yp

Post by yp » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:24 am

Bhop, That is one nice looking B4... Cannot believe that it is your first MH kit. Hopefully, we can see more of your work in the future.

As Far as Hoping in concerned, I completely agree with Juchoon.
I am quite confident to say that he doesn't know what he is talking about.
(Only thing he can do is talking...) Perhaps, he should show us how an official looking B4 should be by actually painting one?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:37 am

As good as Knight Club is, his color for the B4 is slightly off when compared to Knight Flags. Yoda on the other hand got the color looking closest to the actual illustration from Knight Flags http://homepage3.nifty.com/YODASHP/desutonias.htm .

Although we all have different opinions on how a MH should look like and what color(s) it is supposed to have on. I can still appreciate a quality work when I see one.
Last edited by Sheizzel on Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hitori

Post by hitori » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:52 am

bhop,

I think your B4 looks great!
If you feel like it, you be able to show us more pics, like the inner frame with the armor off?

About the color, Mr.Color has a fluorescent pink.

Mixing in fluorescent paint seems to make the colors more vibrant.
Not sure if that will work in this case since the color needs to be translucent.
But it might be worth experimenting...:D

And don't mind HH.
He sure is abrasive at times, but mostly he just wants to get some conversation going.