MH Phantom

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

elemental

MH Phantom

Post by elemental » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:08 am

Phantom is complete:

http://img190.exs.cx/gal.php?g=phantom015ax.jpg

I'm planning to take some better pics soon; I want to show more of the details on this nicely sculpted kit. But for now, these pics will suffice.

Hand painted using my usual methods (hobby and artist acrylics). Aerosol black enamel was used for certain parts (kneecaps, horns, under-shoulder parts, and that axe-like thing sticking out of the front of the groin) to give an even finish; I find handpainting pure matte black doesn't give the nicest results.

Although it appears white, my Phantom is actually a very pale grey.

I would say this is perhaps the best Hirai kit to date. The detailing is excellent... it even has little "fingernails". The large number of small parts in the arm and leg assemblies also make a nice change from the usual approach Volks has to these areas, without making the kit any more difficult to build.

This is an original kit. I first bought an e2046 recast but I found it lacking in certain details, so I purchased an original. Either I got a bad recast, or e2046's quality is not as good as it used to be...

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:00 am

Great ! A Phantom :)~~~

The little metallic highlights on the horns are really nice, the bottom ones are blue and upper ones are yellow ?

Nice finish for a hand painted one, we can't see any brush mark on the white.

My only critic would be the belly part, it looks a bit like a whole part, maybe the black seems batween all the litle parts are not visible enough, maybe because of the dark grey shade you used (and the arms and neck wire too).

And personnally I think I would paint the "axe-like thing" silver, or whatever with a bit of reflexion, well, just my tastes^^.

Looking at your pictures, it makes me wonder if the stabilizers are really that usefull, design-wise. Cuz' it must mask most of the visible frame parts of the leg as well as that nice spiky spinal tape.

Good job ! :D (maybe I'll build mine one day :roll: )

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:11 am

Falk wrote:The little metallic highlights on the horns are really nice, the bottom ones are blue and upper ones are yellow ?
Sorry, I didn't even notice those blue and yellow highlights. They aren't real, just some sort of digital imaging artefact :( Possibly some sort of jpeg compression thing? I am not sure, and I am no expert in these things. But if you like them you can pretend they are real. :)

Those metallic borders on the stripes should be just plain metallic grey. All the other colours are pretty much true to life, give or take a few variations in the white/pale grey due to variations in lighting levels.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:38 pm

I have been using Imagestack for a short while, I didn't know you can create a link, in which from that link, it is a gallery of pic.

How do you do that?

I can only do one pic. at a time.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

yp

Post by yp » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:06 am

Man, it looks good.
I was not fond of the design, but after looking at your kit,
I am kind of starting to like it. Can't believe how neat it looks with just hand-painting. Nice job!

elemental

Post by elemental » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:59 am

Thanks Yoon, your Speed looks mighty fine too. :)

Happy: Do you know how to create a gallery? If no, read the page after you upload a picture. If yes, read the page after you upload all your pics and you will see imageshack gives you a link to the gallery. It's not at all difficult.

EDIT: actually Happy, I think your problem is that you haven't bothered to register.

jlyc

Post by jlyc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:34 am

awesome!!

you have awesome painting technique. i also paint 90% of my model by hand because i don't have an airbrush, but the level of smoothness you have is just amazing.

junchoon

Post by junchoon » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:47 pm

holy cow! very nice job man! any more kits to show us??? :)

errol

Post by errol » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:36 pm

Absolutely Awsome!!!!
I can't believe it's hand painted. Great job. I think I like the Phantom more and more the more I see it. Keep it coming man, KEEP IT COMING. :D

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:14 pm

Can someone try to logon to image stack and create a gallery?

The service seems to be cancelled and no matter what I do, it won't host a gallery
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet