The "Gathering" WIP thread

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:16 am

Nice Speed Mirage. Where's the yellow on the legs?

I get my wires and pins removed from my hand on Wednesday. In the meantime, I can work more. I expect to be painting by next week.. fingers crossed..

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:33 pm

I'm getting annoyed at my kit -__- (I think I'm rushing it... )

I guess I can always just go back to it in the future, but I wanted it to be perfect now....

Also, can anyone supply clear photos of the Schepeltor's feet? The pics I have are a bit blurry and I can't tell if it's white or silver....

yp

Post by yp » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks Jinnai, I didn't paint the orange V because it was not inscribed on the model...

Akuma, I only have a color picture of the original schpeltor, not the Lonn version. But most of the picture of the built model of Lonn Schpeltor has white feets. Would like to see them?

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:39 pm

yp wrote:Thanks Jinnai, I didn't paint the orange V because it was not inscribed on the model...
Yup... only the Clouds Schatze kit has the 2-color leg stripes. Speed Mirage kit doesn't.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:42 pm

Ahh ok. I'm used to seeing it, that's all. :)

In the meantime.. I'm thinking of not using paperclips as pins anymore.. since I have two of these buggers..

yp

Post by yp » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:12 pm

jinnai wrote:Ahh ok. I'm used to seeing it, that's all. :)
Well, I am not. :? ehhh, that looks painful.
hope you get better soon.

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:52 pm

yp wrote:Akuma, I only have a color picture of the original schpeltor, not the Lonn version. But most of the picture of the built model of Lonn Schpeltor has white feets. Would like to see them?
Would probably still help out ^__^

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:36 am

jinnai wrote:Ahh ok. I'm used to seeing it, that's all. :)
It just kinda varies, depending on the kit in question, and depending on whether the kit is based on the manga illustration or the artbook illustration.

Artbook version has the 2-color stripes, manga version doesn't.

WSC Speed and Tani's Speed kits do not have the 2-color stripes. WSC Clouds has the 2-color stripes. For Volks MM versions, I'm not certain... and as for the 1/144, who gives a F***. :) But seriously, I think Wave has a 1/144 Clouds based on the artbook version which includes the 2-color stripes.

But WSC and Tani versions are the only ones I can speak of with certainty.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:56 am

As far as painting the Schpeltor Lonn type...

There are 2 approaches that you will see when browsing photos online. One is the kaiyodo approach (this is the kit you have, Akuma), and the volks approach (as applied to the Volks MM series Schpeltor Lonn kits, both with and without buster versions).

The paint jobs applied to the Kaiyodo and Volks versions are essentially the same, except that kaiyodo chose to replace most of the gold on the design with silver instead. I really don't know why they did this.

Schpeltor Lonn is really the same machine as the Schpeltor Kaien/Water Dragon, it's just had a few parts changed/modified. Since the original Schpeltor has gold but no silver, I feel the all-good detailing approach is best for the Lonn type as well.

This is the kaiyodo style:

http://www.animebox.com.hk/fss35.htm

http://www.e2046.com/trade/productview/2033

This is the volks style:

http://www.animebox.com.hk/fss31.htm

http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=1265

http://www.e2046.com/trade/productview/936

Opinion may vary on which paint approach looks 'nicer', but I do feel the all-gold approach is probably more 'correct', since there seems to be no official basis for the change to silver armor pieces, unless it's mentioned in some obscure text somewhere.

No matter which way you go, the feet are mainly white. There is a metallic accent area between the toe and ankle, which you can clearly see in the photos. This metallic accent area will be gold if you follow the Volks approach, or silver if you follow the Kaiyodo approach.

The key metallic areas of the Schpeltor Lonn (whether you go with silver or gold) are:

-ankle armor
-forearm armor and wrist guards
-strip running down the top/middle of the head
-accent on the feet
-skirts
-small accent at the front/bottom of the chest, just above the grey waist area

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I painted one of those kaiyodo Schpeltors some years ago.

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:35 am

Oh I'm getting better.. my hand is just really weak. Slowly building it back up.

And I'm not done for today.. but this is where I'm at after a whole morning of sanding.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:21 am

Good to see that you're on the road to recovery Jinnai. :)

jinnai

Post by jinnai » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:01 am

One last lot of progress for the day.

She looks lopsided because there's no left counterbalance at this point, and I only have a singular pin for the waist. I will double pin later.. but right now it isn't nessesary.

Tachyon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tachyon » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:46 pm

I thought model builders painted components before final assembly?
If you don't like the news then go make some of your own.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:40 pm

My experience is limited but I think it's only a temporary build-up to see how it looks and to get the pinning right.

If everything is pinned well, almost everything can be fixed without gluing it.

Akuma Sephitaro

Post by Akuma Sephitaro » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:59 pm

Thanks KOG ^__^

I was going with the silver, but I'm not sure if I'll change it to all gold or not

Though I like the look the kit has with the silver details... *shrugs* I'll figure it out, I'm sure ^__^

Also ditched both the steel and black in favor of gunmetal for the launcher (I think it looks best )

Though my main problem is mold release still showing up (I rushed on the washing the parts thing >.< )

Hopefully I can get some more work done today