FSS game

Discussion of FSS manga, movie and omake

Moderator: kosh

FSS is totally emo

FSS game

Post by FSS is totally emo » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:37 pm

what would your ideal FSS videogame be like?
mine would be much like MechAssualt- but WAAAAAAY faster in terms of combat- i had trouble falling asleep during some of the single player in MechAssualt. it would be much like Mech Assault meets virtual-On, you could pound the enemy from long range with buster laucnhers, S-Mines, etc, and then you could "Lock-On" to a specific enemy for close combat. when locked the other enemies wouldn't attack you, allowing you to focus on close combat. multiplayer would be just striaght V-O fighting style in a MH sized "Ring"

hitori

Post by hitori » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:04 pm

VO was a great game...sigh

I've seen Star Craft mod for FSS.
It was basically StarCraft, but with FSS units.
Terrans were the AKD.
Hover tanks, LED Mirages, Bel Creal-like dropships, etc.

It had some promise, but I think it never got fully completed.
I might even have the prelim version archived in some cdr somewhere deep in my closet of junks. :P

Tomexe

Post by Tomexe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:16 pm

Never played Mech Assault. Just old Mechwarrior 3. Did they finally teach the mechs to duck?

That kind of game would be fine for mech v mech competition, but for charactor vs charactor fighting.. you would need something like Soul Caliber, or one of the other 3D fighting games, so you could get to see (and use) a Sonic Blade attack...

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:47 pm

If anything I'd think it'd run more like Otogi or Ninja Gaiden. Fast, furious, and gorgeous.

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:31 pm

The MH portions should run like Armored Core. The Mechwarrior games are like tortoises compred to Armored Core's cheetah like speeds.

The Headdliner portions should run like Devil May Cry or BloodRayne 2. Fast a furious. I'm currently playing through BloodRayne 2 and its excellent. She has a superspeed move where the camera slows everything down into super slow-motion...except for Rayne. She continues moveing and fighting at normal speeds. Not at all fair when fighting minions. FSS Headdliners should move like that when fighting non-headdliners.
Shinei!

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:45 pm

And Armoured core is liek a sloth compared to Virtual On :D
I always thought the idea a while back of a FSS MMORPG would be a really good idea. You could play a headliner mercenary at the start and get hired by the big kingdoms throughout the game, where the aim is to aspire to be a knight in one of the main knighthoods. Where you would usually choose a race in any other mmorpg, you could choose the kingdom u start in, which would obviously hinder or aid your progress in the game, i.e. Delta Belunians are afable to Hagoodians and Colus but the latter two are hostile to each other. Mk wld be out of course, so the delta belun knighthood would probably be the gods. Have a lot more on my mind, way too much to type here :P . Thought about it when the mmorpg thread came up a while ago.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:29 am

I'd prefer a MH combat game to play something like ZOE2. One of the finest mech games I've ever played.

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:12 pm

VO, AC, and ZOE are all great games, but I'm not sure they would be suited to handle MH combat.

I don't have personal experience with AC and ZOE, but from what I've seen, the combat relies on laser or missile weaponry.
There are swords, but not used heavily.
VO is mostly ranged combat while dodging in and out of obstacles.

But MH's mostly fight hand to hand, since no ranged weaponry is effective against Fatima controlled defense system.
Wouldn't traditional fighting games like Tekken or Soul Calibur type engine work better for MHs'? :D

Hellequin

Post by Hellequin » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:04 pm

That's why I think Ninja Gaiden or Otogi styled games would be more ideal for simulation of MH combat. Otogi for it's frenetic, dash based combat and NG for it's lightning fast hand to hand fighting and twitch reflex requirements. You can't really treat MH as traditional mechs or think of them solely in "mech" terms as they're more like extensions of the headliners and fatima contained within than a traditional robot, so I think trying to find adequate equivalents in the mech game genre is a mistake. Virtual On I could see as a similar sort of deal, but that game gives me an ulcer. :P

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:29 pm

Actually, I mainly mention ZOE2 because of the wonderfully fluid and fast-paced control of the main mech. Like in VO, you can dash around quite a bit. And the control does feel more like a complex organic mechanism, less like a stiff bunch of tin cans rattling together. I like Armored Core for the customization and all... but the control leaves a lot to be desired in some respects. I wouldn't want to see a MH combat game based on AC at ALL.

Anyone who hasn't finished ZOE2 SHOULD. There's a mass battle scene towards the end... too fun for words. It's basically you, as the main character, plus a couple dozen or so allied mechs against a wave of hundreds and hundreds of enemies. And you play it all in real time. You have to dash around the entire battle field, dispatching enemies, covering allies, and helping the fallen to safety. It's really quite spectacular.

Anyways, there is a lot of ranged weaponry in ZOE2 to be sure... but the sword stuff is also very fun and effective. You'd have to expand the melee combat to suit FSS, but a good nucleus to start from is there. There's some grappling moves as well.

Tekken and Soul Calibur (and Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter and etc.) are great competitive combat games, but I don't think they suit FSS well. Those games all really on a high/mid/low attack system. You can guard against an attack either high or low, depending on the nature of the attack. For this system to work, attacks have to be slow enough so that you can alter your guard based on the attack you see, or expect to see. FSS combat seems like it should be a lot more fast paced. If you sped up a game like Soul Calibur to FSS speed, guarding would become very difficult indeed. :)

hitori wrote:VO, AC, and ZOE are all great games, but I'm not sure they would be suited to handle MH combat.

I don't have personal experience with AC and ZOE, but from what I've seen, the combat relies on laser or missile weaponry.
There are swords, but not used heavily.
VO is mostly ranged combat while dodging in and out of obstacles.

But MH's mostly fight hand to hand, since no ranged weaponry is effective against Fatima controlled defense system.
Wouldn't traditional fighting games like Tekken or Soul Calibur type engine work better for MHs'? :D

Nu Soard Graphite
FSS Scholar
FSS Scholar

Post by Nu Soard Graphite » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:28 pm

Man, I love ZOE2. Thats the fastest mecha game out there...but there's too much flying to simulate MH combat. Of course, a cross between ZOE and AC/VO (Virtual On is a bit faster than AC, but not much, if you build your AC's right) would be closer to MH combat.

In ZOE2, there's a lot more blade action than in the other games. Plenty of beams and missiles being fired but these are easily evaded or blocked...just like in FSS.
Shinei!

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:39 pm

Nu Soard Graphite wrote:Man, I love ZOE2. Thats the fastest mecha game out there...but there's too much flying to simulate MH combat. Of course, a cross between ZOE and AC/VO (Virtual On is a bit faster than AC, but not much, if you build your AC's right) would be closer to MH combat.
I'm not saying a FSS game should be a carbon copy of ZOE2 of course. :roll:

Just a nice base from which to start. Of course you'd need to remove the flying element for the most part. But the rest is very applicable.

You'd actually want to keep the long range weaponry as part of the game if you wanted to be able to have the MHs fight alongside/against non-MH units. Such as tanks, infantry, air vehicles, transports... and even for attacks against installations and cities. And then you'd have your close comabt system for MH vs MH situations.

Somehow I don't think VO would be good for FSS. WAY too much dashing around and jockeying for position. I think MH combat should be a lot more about the intricacies of the close quarters combat.

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:42 pm

Thats probably why VO wld suit it more, for the most part with one exception, everything takes place at ground level. I havnt played AC i a while but from what i remember, the fastest bot in ac wld be equivalent to an average bot in vo... Mbbe around Specineff's or Apharmed's speed. Nowhere near the likes of Cypher and Fei. Also, much of VO, especially OT ( which was far as im concerned is where the VO series ends...) is very concentratet on hand to hand, much of which is very similar to zoe ( throws, combos, downattacks, VO:OT has it all). For those whove only played VO Marz try and get a game of OT to grasp what im trying to say. VO has gone down quite considerably since its second incarnation.
edit: lol taking above post into consideration, forgot to add, vo without about half the projectiles is what im getting at :P

hitori

Post by hitori » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:50 pm

A different angle. :D

Why are we concentrating on fighting and destruction?
How about a Fatima creation sim.
You'll design various aspects of Fatim DNA.
Depending on your abilities, experience, special items you have at the time will give you different results.

Then during the childhood stage, you'll educate her/him on history, MH controls, etiquette etc.
Maybe you'll even be able to take your 'child' out for social events (shopping with Sopp?)

Then you'll 'debut' her/him.
Depending on how you did, your Fatima will have differing 5PG stats, clearance, etc and get to partner with Headdliners of differing reputations/skills.
You might have to bite back tears when your daughter chooses the likes of Viewlard or Decors.

Maybe your previous creations could affect (by battle experience feedback, reputations, personal connections etc) the younger sister/brother and help you raise them better.
If it is real time, wars may break out in parts of the Joker Galaxy and your daughters/sons may fight in them, be victorious, get hurt, lose the Master.
I think it'd be fun if you get these kinds of reports back from your sons and daughters that you put so much efforts in to creating.

If you are familiar with the ultra successful "Princess Maker" series by Gainax, that's what I'm thinking. :D
Last edited by hitori on Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KOG

Post by KOG » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:56 pm

:oops:

I'm afraid I wouldn't have much interest in such a thing.

My first interest in FSS was the MH, and it's still the strongest.

So a MH game is what I crave.