Good News/bad news

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Post Reply
John F. Moscato
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:24 am

Good News/bad news

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:32 am

I've had a long chat with one of my clients in Japan, and it's official: Volks has renewed its FSS liscence. We already saw this in the form of the new 1/100 red Phantom, but this just confirms it.

As I'd surmised, the long drought in kits was due to liscencing disputes, but that seems to have been laid to rest. Don't be surprised if new kits are a bit pricier though. FSS items will also supposedly be the only resin offerings from Volks from now on.

Also, a wee-bit of bad news. Also directly confirmed by Volks, the clear resin they've been using for the MH kits is NOT UV resistant, and will turn amber over time. Supposedly, they were ignorant that there are UV stable formulas available. :|
John F. Moscato

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:22 am

Wow, thanks for the update. Definitely more good news than bad news. This certainly makes my day. I'm relieved to know I won't have to rely on WSC for kits of the newest MH.

As for the clear kits... all mine are recast, not Volks originals. I wonder how the clear resin in the recasts stacks up.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:46 am

Thank's John, that's good news. I wonder how long before a truly new kit is released (other than Hugtrang), and what it will be? A Heavy Cross and a Calvary R would make me very happy. :D

Recast clear resin: I'm no expert, but I somehow suspect a UV-proof non-yellowing clear resin would be more expensive than a standard clear resin. I hate to sound cynical, but I think that recasters would go with whatever is cheapest. :roll:

Clear KOG shouldn't be too big a problem, but clear LED won't look too good when it yellows.

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:10 am

Heavy Cross, Calvary R, T-233, Siren R, Gastness Temple... any of those from Volks would be great.

As for my recast clear kits... they've been stored in boxes all this time, so no UV exposure. Guess I won't find out about their... durability for a while.

elemental wrote:Thank's John, that's good news. I wonder how long before a truly new kit is released (other than Hugtrang), and what it will be? A Heavy Cross and a Calvary R would make me very happy. :D

Recast clear resin: I'm no expert, but I somehow suspect a UV-proof non-yellowing clear resin would be more expensive than a standard clear resin. I hate to sound cynical, but I think that recasters would go with whatever is cheapest. :roll:

Clear KOG shouldn't be too big a problem, but clear LED won't look too good when it yellows.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:26 am

KOG wrote:Heavy Cross, Calvary R, T-233, Siren R, Gastness Temple... any of those from Volks would be great.
Yes. I would also say WSC could do a very nice T-233, but I am not sure they could pull off excellent versions of all the other Smoke Walls designs. I hope they prove me WRONG on that point, too. :)

John F. Moscato
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:24 am

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:33 am

Indeed, recasters use cheap resins. Their clear parts seem to have a hint of green to them, so it's not the same product Volks uses, but will most likely yellow as well. I'm looking into products that may be able to restore yellowed plastics.
John F. Moscato

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:43 am

Hm... yeah. I'm sure WSC could pull off a T-233. I'm guessing the design isn't 'important' enough for them to do it though. I could see WSC doing a nice Heavy Cross, since it's a rather heavy, solid design. Whoever does it needs to refine the design a bit though. The FAC kit seemed to be based quite literally on the smoke walls art, and it came out somewhat badly. Maybe no one should do another heavy cross until it makes it's official manga appearance...

elemental wrote:
KOG wrote:Heavy Cross, Calvary R, T-233, Siren R, Gastness Temple... any of those from Volks would be great.
Yes. I would also say WSC could do a very nice T-233, but I am not sure they could pull off excellent versions of all the other Smoke Walls designs. I hope they prove me WRONG on that point, too. :)

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:30 am

Great to hear that Volks has chose to stay in the game. Now that the licensing issue is resolved, I hope Volks can use all the talented sculptors and make up for the lost time.

Post Reply