WSC A-Toll!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:16 am

I've heard good things about AF A-Toll. As for myself, I was never really into AF A-Toll so I would just settle for WSC A-Toll instead.

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:19 am

My recast of the AF A Toll was of older vintage, and that wasn't all that great either. Some weird fitting around the head neck area, and some deformation around the shoulder shields that I couldn't completely cure because the poor quality of resin was very resistant to reshaping.

But all in all, I struggled through it and it came out looking pretty decent, I think.

I'll get some photos of that AF A Toll when I get photos of everything else...

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:50 am

elemental:

I checked over my WSC A Toll. It does indeed come with 2 sword blades.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:30 am

Which MM is it in the comparison pic.?

The one came out in Dec 98, sculpted by Wataru Oishi

or the one came out in Spring 2001, sculpted by Yukitaka Niwa
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:40 am

KOG

Post by KOG » Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:31 pm

Both MM kits are pretty much the same. The only change for the later version are the 'cobra type' parts.

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:48 am

I have the older one. I wish I could just buy the cobra parts.

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:23 am

Perhaps you can persuade hobbyfan or E2046 to special order cobra parts for you. It may be possible if their recast sources still have the means to produce cobra recast parts. Dunno if they still would though.

I do know hobbyfan was VERY helpful when I wanted to get extra copies of the foot part from the B Club Powered GM conversion kit. I got several extra copies of the feet at just $7 a pair. The order was specially made for me by hobbyfan.

cobywan wrote:I have the older one. I wish I could just buy the cobra parts.

happy hopping

Post by happy hopping » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:15 am

KOG wrote:Both MM kits are pretty much the same. The only change for the later version are the 'cobra type' parts.
The 98 ver., the shield is much smaller.

Is the 98 MM ver. the comic ver. vs. the 2001 ver. which is the official ver.?
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

KOG

Post by KOG » Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:12 am

Yes. Well. I did mention that the Cobra parts were the only change. And, well, the new cobra shield does fall under the category of Cobra parts.

And if I recall properly, the Cobra version also comes with an optional 'tower' style shield, and an optional training blade weapon.

There's no doubt many A Toll BS variations, so there's not necessarily a need to say one kit is official while the other is not. The '98 kit was based on old manga art, and the Cobra version was based on the Knight Flags art. There really is not much significant change between the two.

Happy Hopping wrote:The 98 ver., the shield is much smaller.

Is the 98 MM ver. the comic ver. vs. the 2001 ver. which is the official ver.?

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:08 pm

It's funny. The more I look at the WSC A-Toll, the less I seem to like it. I'm sure that the sculpting is quite fantastic, as with all other WSC models, but Koji seems to have lost some of the elegant flare compared to the older Volks AF, and even the MM kits.

If anything, humor me... Those of you who have the old MH Saga III book, put the pic of the AF A-toll next to the pic of the WSC kit and you'll see what I mean: the old AF model looks so much more... Dynamic and graceful. The newer one, no matter how I look at it, just seems to be composed of a lot of inconguous lines.

The shoulder armor looks much more graceful on the AF, and there are some noteable differences in the slopes and curves here. The sculpting of the chest is also very different, with the WSC being more pointed at the front, and having a much more pronounced downward slope that just seems to kill the MH's fearsome look. Then there's the skirt armor... These are nicely spaced-out and the front skirt covers the crotch on the AF, but tend to look clumsily-overlapped and a tad short on the WSC equivalent. Finally, the lower legs: the AF has a very graceful flare-out going from top to bottom in the front view, whereas the WSC is much skinnier and rigid-looking.

Granted, it's entirely possible that the WSC looks more accurate to the Knight Flags art, and being the big fan of WSC that I am, I hate to say this but... I like the old Volks AF kit much more :|

**dodges flying spadds and throwlances**
John F. Moscato