WSC A-Toll!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:52 pm

Funny, didn't the HJ review state the kit as being 25cm tall? (Same size as the old Volks, if I remember correctly.) It might just seem bigger cos of the hefty price tag :wink:

Best way to find out? A side-by-side dry fit :wink: :wink: :wink:
John F. Moscato

KOG

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:24 pm

I've got the old Volks AF A Toll all finished and painted up... so when I get my WSC kit in the mail (still waiting), I can do a side by side to see how the sizes compare.

John F. Moscato wrote:Funny, didn't the HJ review state the kit as being 25cm tall? (Same size as the old Volks, if I remember correctly.) It might just seem bigger cos of the hefty price tag :wink:

Best way to find out? A side-by-side dry fit :wink: :wink: :wink:

elemental

Post by elemental » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:09 pm

Overall height might be about the same as the AF, but many parts are a bit bigger in this new WSC version; not by a large amount, but still noticeably bigger. And of course, it's much bigger than that tiny MM version. If I can, I will take some comparison pics over the christmas break.

I'm confident that if you like the AF, you will like this new version. :)

KOG

Post by KOG » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:05 am

That's good, because I love the AF. :)

I was always saying to Vatshu that WSC should release an A Toll, and now they finally did it.
elemental wrote:Overall height might be about the same as the AF, but many parts are a bit bigger in this new WSC version; not by a large amount, but still noticeably bigger. And of course, it's much bigger than that tiny MM version. If I can, I will take some comparison pics over the christmas break.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:22 am

KOG wrote:That's good, because I love the AF. :)

I was always saying to Vatshu that WSC should release an A Toll, and now they finally did it.
elemental wrote:Overall height might be about the same as the AF, but many parts are a bit bigger in this new WSC version; not by a large amount, but still noticeably bigger. And of course, it's much bigger than that tiny MM version. If I can, I will take some comparison pics over the christmas break.

Yep, had been talking about WSC A-Toll a long time ago and it was surprising that this one came out of nowhere with the finished kit showing in HobbyJapan. We were expecting Ikushima would be the one to do it but this one turned out great so no complaint there.

I noticed E2046 just put up the recast at around $126...

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:48 am

Sheizzel wrote:I noticed E2046 just put up the recast at around $126...
The pre-order pice for the new A-Toll is reasonable, but the full listed price of $140 puts it almost in the same league as the V3 LED and KOG, Alkanna etc. Frankly, that is just not right. This kit is not that big.

So I suggest anyone who wants a recast should buy it at the pre-order price.

There is also that older A-Toll listed at nearly $150... :|

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:54 pm

Hobbyfan has bigger and more pictures of the A-Toll http://www.hobbyfan.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=2625 . The front view of the A-Toll looks nice!

Falk

Post by Falk » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:44 pm

Size doesn't matter :P

Thanks for the link^^
I wonder why I searched for some magazine scans on various modelling BBS... I just had to wait on hobbyfan :p

It's a shame the paint sheme is... well... what it is (I don't mean this in an ultra-disrespectful way, just a observation^^), it make the kit look plastic :/

Is the shoulder padmissing only for presentation purpose ? I guess so, but it's lacking on most of the pic I've seen.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:07 pm

From everything I've seen so far, the kit does come with 2 shoulder shields, so you can build it with both if you like. I will definitely build with both... it looks a bit silly with only one.

Falk wrote:Size doesn't matter :P

Thanks for the link^^
I wonder why I searched for some magazine scans on various modelling BBS... I just had to wait on hobbyfan :p

It's a shame the paint sheme is... well... what it is (I don't mean this in an ultra-disrespectful way, just a observation^^), it make the kit look plastic :/

Is the shoulder padmissing only for presentation purpose ? I guess so, but it's lacking on most of the pic I've seen.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:43 am

Indeed it does come with two shoulder shields. It also has two sword handles (one in left hand, one in right hand) in addition to that big mace. Mine seems to only have one actual sword blade; from the pictures I gather there should be two blades. I need to do a parts-count to see if I am missing anything.

There are three different options for attaching the main veil to the forearm, and you also get optional parts to make Jabo's version.

The box/instructions designate this A-Toll as the Joy Gira/Capital Guard Knights version. Perhaps this is why it features only one shoulder shield in the offical build-up? Apparently it appeared in Japanese Vol. 5 and 11. I am missing a few volumes, so i haven't seen this version in the manga; can anyone provide scans or page references?

And to finally answer the overall height question... the instructions state it stands at 26.5cm.

I only wish i could read the message that comes with each WSC kit.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:58 am

Hi Elemental.

I don't have book 11 JP, but I do have book 5, as well as book 3 which it also appears in. Both times, it's Jabo's Swan version, and it always has 2 shoulder binders. Actually, when you see it in book 5JP, it has the "cobra" veil, whereas in book 3, it doesn't have a veil at all.

Basically, the Cobra veil looks to be the official version for the A-Toll. The veil that came with the old Volks AF A-Toll looks to have been conjured-up, because it doesn't appear in any of the older manga.

As for the size: wow, that's certainly good news! :D Hopefully this trend for big-ness will continue with newer releases..
John F. Moscato

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:34 am

Hello,

I was talking about this version of the A-Toll with KOG a short while ago. I told him that it was in Vol.11 because of the one shoulder armor and yellow portion on the head of the a-Toll. I'll try to get you a picture from Vol.11 tomorrow.

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:36 am

Hi John, I know what you are saying. :)

But I should have expressed this more clearly in my last post: the way this kit is shown in the magazine pics is the "official" way this kit is meant to be made. ie the right shoulder shield is indeed an optional extra, and has not been omitted to show detail. Why? The line-art on the box shows it this way. This must be specific to Mikel Joy Gira's A-Toll, but again I haven't seen it in the manga. I'm guessing the answer lies in Book 11 JP.

Perhaps one of our resident manga experts can shed some light? Nu Soard... Hitori...?

Also, after a parts-count it appears that I am missing one sword blade. Just as shown in the mag pics, you should get two complete swords. Perhaps someone else with an original would be kind enough to confirm this before I pester HLJ for the missing part?

(Moral: check your originals soon after purchase. Volks and WSC originals do indeed lack parts from time to time. Makes you wonder about buying old old kits of Y!Japan that have not been checked for missing parts :? )

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:35 pm

Here ya go.

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:07 pm

I'm glad the kit comes with decals for many versions, so you can make one that's "supposed" to have 2 shoulder shields.

And elemental, I'm still waiting on my A Toll in the mail. When it arrives, I'll let you know if I get 2 swords or one.