Factorys 01-04

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

elemental

Factorys 01-04

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:39 am

Yay, I got mine yesterday :)

For anyone who missed out on the first batch from HLJ, here are a few thoughts.

Coverage of Volks kits: minimal to disappointing. Many of them have only one photo. For example, the LED Napalm (probably Volks’ crowning achievement in the period covered by this book) has one back view photo ONLY :(

Wave: Sort of interesting for me, as I don’t really follow their 1:144 line. Some of their kits do look kinda nice.

How to Construct Akira Tani’s Ego Mirage: This has to be seen to be believed. :shock: Genius and insanity blend into one… and to be honest I would absolutely hate hate HATE to build this thing.

Interesting side note: Tani and friend are pictured with the KOG in the Dec Model Graphix FSS special. They are wearing shirts that say “No.1 Quality No. 2 Quality No. 3 Quality”. This is not your average KOG 8)

WSC and Silicon Tribe coverage: Sparse, but interesting none the less.

Characters: Very nice. Includes a completed PS Fatima Machi (she looks fat :? ) and a Tomo A Brand PS Fatima Andromeda, which from what little I can gather was never actually released :!: :( :evil: Why is this man NOT sculpting more Plastic Style Fatimas? Volks wants to do dollies... Volks, someone… anyone... can at least do these.

Lastly, there are pics of the sculptors, which is interesting too in its own way. Hirai is listed as the second youngest (born Jan 74).

For Y1500, this book is well worth a look, even if you are not a serious modeller.

Perhaps someone with a scanner (Jack?) can provide some nice pics? If not I might be able to con a friend into scanning for me. Would anyone be interested?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:47 am

Nope, I was not able to get my own Factorys due to issues with HLJ...Now they are discontinued till the next batch...

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:58 am

Seems like the book was almost a slap in the face to Volks & WSC; the 2 biggest & best FSS liscensors at the expense of a little ego-stroking for Tani-kun.

Somehow, I get a sneaking suspicion that Volks' dropping of the FSS lisence may have been due to more than pure economics.
John F. Moscato

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:21 am

I imagine Nagano is sick of all the bickering that was going on between them. And there was probably enough coverage in the trade mags that putting that stuff in there would be redundant.

What really needs to happen is for Hobby Japan to put out another Mortar Headd Saga book.

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:10 am

cobywan wrote:What really needs to happen is for Hobby Japan to put out another Mortar Headd Saga book.
Very true. Mortar Headd Saga II, this is not. It's still better than nothing, though.

So are scans of this thing already available somewhere? Any requests for pics, anyone...?

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:07 am

I saw the pictures of KOG V3 from HLJ and this book looks plain...Still, it's nice to have a book with a collection of MHs and Figures.

elemental, if you would please, take some pictures of your choice so we can see how the book is. I'm not sure when I'll be getting mine, although I've contacted La Kinos to see if I can order one from them.

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:45 pm

There probably isn't enough interest to warrant HJ producing another MH saga book. Like any other business looking to make money, HJ goes with what is popular, what its readers ask for, and what they think its readers want to see, and for some unexplainable reason, that seems to be a relentless tidal-wave of gundam after gundam after gundam :roll: ... So much so that my friends and I mockingly refer to Hobby Japan as "gunpla" magazine.
John F. Moscato

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:31 pm

Shiezzel, is the LA Kino going to stock Factorys ?
I was dissapointed by the NY Kino.

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:04 pm

Hydra Mirage wrote:Shiezzel, is the LA Kino going to stock Factorys ?
I was dissapointed by the NY Kino.
I did get a reply from Ko/La Kinos yesterday but I didn't give him the direct link to the Factories book, instead I linked him to Toyspress on-line shops. Due to this error I made, he was not able to know exactly what I was after. I'm sure I'll get a reply from him soon regarding the request for Factorys 2001-2004. I'll let you know as soon as I get a response from him.

cobywan

Post by cobywan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:47 am

I have a Japanese friend who refered to it as Gundam Monthly. The magazine recently went through a format change. Interestingly enough they made it exactly like Dengeki instead of the cereberal Model Graphix. :(

elemental

Post by elemental » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:51 am

First batch of pics has been uploaded.

WSC, ST, Characters and a pictorial index of the book. I've scanned most (but not all) pages. You can see that coverage of most kits is quite superficial. Queen managed to get a two page spread, but most other kits are limited to one pic or one page.

More to come later (Volks, Wave and some of the Tani Kog).

Enjoy :wink:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2133851702

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:59 am

Thanks a lot for taking your time to upload them, Owen :D . Is it just me or does WSC kits look better in there than they usually do?

KOG

Post by KOG » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:00 am

I'm still waiting for my copy of Factories to come in the mail. :(

I think it's being bogged down by all the christmas mailing...

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:18 am

I got a reply from LA Kinos saying they've placed order for Factorys 2001-2004 for me. They said they will inform me when the book is in stock. I'm not sure how many they will have so if anyone wants one better contact them.

elemental

Post by elemental » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:11 pm