Some scratchbuilt MHs

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Falk

Some scratchbuilt MHs

Post by Falk » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:53 pm

I don't know if you have those links as bookmarks, but Wombat has finished an 1/220 (I think) Berlin SR 2
http://homepage3.nifty.com/wombat_mh/mo ... n_sr2.html

and Shirowan (who did the Sire nR), is doin a Kan :
http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~shirowan/

WayS'Lo'

Post by WayS'Lo' » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:10 pm

o my goodness the Berlin SR2 looks wonderful ( tho the suqare binders dont suit it as much as they could...) is that an official design or a fan made one?

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:26 pm

Beautiful.

I can't believe how small his model is... It must be no bigger than 1/288...

Falk

Post by Falk » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:30 pm

Berlin SR2 is one of the latest designs, presented in Smokewalls.
I'm surprised you like it that much, several others don't really like it and hope for a re-deisgn when it'll finally appear in the manga :wink: .
Personnally it's surely not my favourite.

I have the book in hand, and he sculpted the square binders to big compared to the artwork. It looks less bulky on the artwork. Great work anyway^^, moreover if it's 1/220 (that's what's written on top of the page)

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:35 pm

Hey Falk, obviously you haven't seen the latest Volume (here on Gears).
The Berlin sr2 is in one of the episodes together with the Engage sr3....

I like the proportions. He did well considering it's the first of it's kind...

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:50 am

I like Berlin SR02 a lot because it reminded me of Junchoon/Engage.

As for the kit, not bad, I can't sculpt even if my life depended on it so I give him credit. However, I don't like the proportioning and how the face looks. I guess it's due to such a small scale.

Here are more sites with scratchbuild MHs:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~kinndousann/
http://www.eonet.ne.jp/%7Esardine/tyte/ ... eling.html
http://mx666ver7777.web.infoseek.co.jp/work/top.html

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:10 am

The berlin sculpt is quite beautiful, especially considering the tiny scale. As for the design, it doesn't seem to do anything for me...I'm actually rather fond of the original Berlin designs, and I think it could have done better had Nagano just tweaked the original a bit.

Mind you, I think the color scheme on this one bothers me more than the design itself. I'm guessing those are the official colors? No more lovely white/violet or emerald schemes for the Berlin?

Alas, all is not lost. If memory serves me correctly, Colus V will tinker with the Berlin design in turn, so we can only immagine what the future holds :wink:
John F. Moscato

Mave

Post by Mave » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:53 am

Very impressive considering the scale. The comparison with the cigarett package was damn neat :D

...and I hafta give some support to those new Berlins which doesnt get no love at all :wink:

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:36 am

Hydra Mirage wrote:Hey Falk, obviously you haven't seen the latest Volume (here on Gears).
The Berlin sr2 is in one of the episodes together with the Engage sr3....
:| ............. :roll: ............ :wink:

I didn't remembered it a tall :p I'll have to look again^^.

And Berlin is not THAT bad, but it's not one of the "star MHs" would I say (like first Berlin, T233, Bowray, Siren A).

Like John, I think the colorsheme is maybe part of "the problem". Red & green don't seem do go along well on MHs design (well that's just a personnal opinion, although green is my fav' color and red is great in most situations), or maybe it's that yellowish green.

Mmh thanks for the others links Sheizzel, so there's someone working on another Siren R...

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:02 pm

I think Falk has a good point: red doesn't mix well with green & white... Especially THAT shade of green, and with THAT shade of dark blue. If anything, I'd call the SR2's paint scheme somewhat... Gaudy! Very out-of-character for a super-talented artist like Nagano. Might anyone have a link or a pic of the appearance in the manga, by chance?

If anything, keep the white, and either the green OR the blue, NOT both. Red should be replaced with gold or black. As for the design, once again, Falk said it best: it's not really that it's bad, but simply lacks the oomph of the previous Berlin. Now being the nitpicky SOB that I am, wouldn't it have been kool if the green portion of the shins & the shoulders had retained some of that "overlapping armored-shudders" from its predecessor to show a certain design continuity? :wink:
John F. Moscato

Hydra Mirage

Post by Hydra Mirage » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:16 pm

Maybe Nagano is trying to show Dr. Diamond Neutrals influence (as with the Engage sr-1 refit)
This is only a guess.

Anyway, I always though the old berlin looked too similar to the Black Knight with the overlapping (samurai style?) armour...

Sheizzel

Post by Sheizzel » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:19 pm

Here's the SR-3 together with the SR-2 http://www.gearsonline.net/fss/manga/oc ... 0M0013.jpg .

I personally think the colors are fine on Berlin SR-2. However, the appearance can be slightly improved by having different armors around the waist as the ones it has on looks too simple, even for something that resembles an Engage/Junchoon design...

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:52 pm

Wow, I never realised that the available reference material was so... Limited. I was certain that there was more "footage" of it in the manga, or better yet, color references in one of the art books.

If anything, it looks somewhat more "slender" in the Manga and dare I say, a little more Berlin-esque in the chest area. Now that I've seen that, I tend to like it a little more :)
John F. Moscato

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:35 pm

There's an artwork of it^^
That's what I was talking about when I said "I have the book in hand and he did the square binders to big".

John F. Moscato

Post by John F. Moscato » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:31 pm

Thanks Falk :P

Bordel! C'est quoi ce vert vomi/aquatique??? Les couleurs sur la macquette sont superbes compares a celles du dessin officiel. Franchement!! :?
John F. Moscato