WSC A-Toll!

Models and Toys Related to Five Star Stories

Moderator: kosh

Post Reply
KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:18 pm

Well, it's official, my WSC A Toll is now shipping. :)

Since I'm using SAL, it will be at least a couple weeks before I actually get it.

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:32 am

A couple of weeks is considered fast for SAL. Once I had to wait exactly 30days for a package from HLJ delivered with SAL. With the hefty price of the A-Toll, SAL seem to be the only way to ship.

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:01 am

Sheizzel wrote:A couple of weeks is considered fast for SAL. Once I had to wait exactly 30days for a package from HLJ delivered with SAL. With the hefty price of the A-Toll, SAL seem to be the only way to ship.
Hrm.. 30 days? I don't think I've ever had to wait that long. I get most SAL packages in 2-3 weeks.

Hope my A Toll won't be slowed down too much by all the christmas shipping. :)

Vincent Valentine
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:43 am
Contact:

Post by Vincent Valentine » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:37 am

Details? No no no.

WSC has a tendancy to make 'more details per square measure' but oftentimes, these details are ugly. They look like they belong on some Gundam from the 80s rather than a Nagano design. Underfoot is pathetic, and I still can't get over the overall ugliness of the detail styling of my WSC SR-3.

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:55 pm

Mmm.... depends on the kit really. Some of the more recent WSC kits seem to fall a bit flat compared to the wonderfully sculpted Volks versions... but I still have a lot of respect for the older WSC releases which generally beat the snot out of the Volks versions. LED Mirage series for sure... LED Babiron's in particular. WSC Schpeltor is also still the best, IMO. Auge too, to a lesser extent. Hm... I admire WSC Ashura greatly as well.

And then of course, there's the WSC kits not even sculpted by Ikushima: Terror, Empress, A Toll.... Terror especially is superb.

I think WSC gets a bad rap lately because of a few disappointments like the Engages and the Neptune. But really, a lot of WSC kits are still really good...

Vincent Valentine wrote:Details? No no no.

WSC has a tendancy to make 'more details per square measure' but oftentimes, these details are ugly. They look like they belong on some Gundam from the 80s rather than a Nagano design. Underfoot is pathetic, and I still can't get over the overall ugliness of the detail styling of my WSC SR-3.

John F. Moscato
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:24 am

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:40 am

...And let's not forget the legendary KoG Joker 3100; the kit that made Ikushima's reputation.

It may have the older-style armor and foot-stabilizers, but I still consider it right up there with the later Volks V3, simply because the proportions are just so nice, and some of the details (shoulder intake scoopie things, buster launcher detail) are, to me, nicer than the equivalent parts on the Volks kit.

I can't really comment on the Engage kits, as I haven't seen them...Maybe Winston could post some pics of the offending areas in question? :D
John F. Moscato

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:29 am

Ahh... the main reason I didn't mention the KOG (nice as it is) is because I feel it has now been bested by the Volks SSS2002 KOG in firing pose. This relatively recent Volks KOG really blew me away in so many ways. Detail, pose, the way various armor components are spread and fanned out... too cool.

But up until the release of that kit, the WSC KOG certainly was tops.

John F. Moscato wrote:...And let's not forget the legendary KoG Joker 3100; the kit that made Ikushima's reputation.

It may have the older-style armor and foot-stabilizers, but I still consider it right up there with the later Volks V3, simply because the proportions are just so nice, and some of the details (shoulder intake scoopie things, buster launcher detail) are, to me, nicer than the equivalent parts on the Volks kit.

I can't really comment on the Engage kits, as I haven't seen them...Maybe Winston could post some pics of the offending areas in question? :D

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:48 am

I know an area that bothered him is the crotch area. I, too, think the detailing in that area is ugly. Good thing that it'll be covered up by the armor.

Image

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:04 am

Hmm... that area looks overly simple, blocky, and rushed. Good thing the torso/midsection is more nicely sculpted.

Sheizzel wrote:I know an area that bothered him is the crotch area. I, too, think the detailing in that area is ugly. Good thing that it'll be covered up by the armor.

Vincent Valentine
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:43 am
Contact:

Post by Vincent Valentine » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:13 am

That section of the groin reminds me some kind of a tapeworm crawling through some vents.. it really is quite disgusting to look at.

John, if I were more happy.. camera-happy as my friend Jack here, I'd take pictures of the underfoot of the SR-3 to show you. No better way of describing 'Ugly'.

Jack, that means you!



The Empress, although the stylization is there, is bested for underfoot detail by some 1/144 resin kits I own. Quite dissapointing, although not nearly as ugly or Gundamy.

EDIT:

About the SSS.. although I think that the sculpt is unquestionably wonderful, one thing bothers me: the shoulders. Lack of Knight Master's Wings, on top of which.. they are still short a la V3 mode.

John F. Moscato
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:24 am

Post by John F. Moscato » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:12 am

hmm, I don't think the groin on the Engage looks that bad, really. Still very Nagano-esque, with organic plating, and that "tapeworm" just looks like overlapping plating going over a conduit coming down from the torso. If anything, I always thought of the Junchoon and Engage design offshoots as being beautiful in their simplicity; I really don't see the point of going apeshit on detail in every conceiveable cranny.

I personally don't care too much about "accuracy" where MH models are concerned, as there are no hard, factual, engineering drawings of them. I rather like Nagano's "fairy tale" concept, as it leaves a lot of things fluid and open to interpretation... In which case I just pick a model that I think looks nice in my eyes.

Underfoot detail: bah, humbug! Never going to see it when it's finished, and if the poor detail bothers me badly enough, I can just re-do it myself.

Knight Master eyes: the relief-sculpted ones remind me of those cheap commie polystone sculpts you find in dollar stores (paint around the edges.) This is where I just pull-out my oil paints and my 000 brushes and re-create those masterpieces the way they were supposed to be: painted.
John F. Moscato

User avatar
happy hopping
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:29 am

Post by happy hopping » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:02 am

KOG wrote:Ahh... the main reason I didn't mention the KOG (nice as it is) is because I feel it has now been bested by the Volks SSS2002 KOG in firing pose. This relatively recent Volks KOG really blew me away in so many ways. Detail, pose, the way various armor components are spread and fanned out... too cool.

But up until the release of that kit, the WSC KOG certainly was tops.
Really? That was the KOG that I don't like. The dynamic pose is good, the kit is big, that's good too.

But the gesture of the KOG looks sleaky. He is facing the enemy, but his head is facing downward, consequently, his face is hiding from the pose.

In a real combat, if you were facing an enemy as per the pose suggest, there is no way in hell your face will be looking down, it doesn't make sense.

A pose of a warrior's head facing down while he is fighting the enemy suggest he has something to hide. He should be fearless facing the enemy.

So that was my deciding factor against this kit.
If you buy a pet from pet stores , you are encouraging those breeders to breed more. This is the condition that they lives in:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_JqNdp2As

when you buy a pet:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WCNr-VrkXl8

Adopt a pet

KOG
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:33 pm
Contact:

Post by KOG » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:48 am

That seems like a really, really odd reason to not like such a good kit.

As for the pose... I think it makes sense. It is a... firing pose kit after all. I would assume that buster weapons generate a lot of light/energy when firing, not to mention the magnitude of the blast when the target explodes. I would think it would actually make sense to shield the MH sensors/optics in the eye area from all this.

Sort of like how people aren't supposed to look at a nuclear blast without protective eyewear.

In any case, MH are still machines. Not people. Machines with all kinds of sensors and electronic targeting systems. I'm sure a MH doesn't need to directly look at a target to track it.

So yeah, I have no problem with the pose whatsoever.

Really? That was the KOG that I don't like. The dynamic pose is good, the kit is big, that's good too.

But the gesture of the KOG looks sleaky. He is facing the enemy, but his head is facing downward, consequently, his face is hiding from the pose.

In a real combat, if you were facing an enemy as per the pose suggest, there is no way in hell your face will be looking down, it doesn't make sense.

A pose of a warrior's head facing down while he is fighting the enemy suggest he has something to hide. He should be fearless facing the enemy.

So that was my deciding factor against this kit.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:42 am

Pre-Christmas postal miracle... I got my A-Toll today.

I haven't done anything more than open the box and look at the parts, and all I can say is... BIG. Even bigger than the old Volks A-Toll by Ikushima.

Something just jumped to the front of my build-queue. Well, second in line behind the Phantom :)

User avatar
Sheizzel
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:54 pm
Location: Southern Cali, U.S.A.

Post by Sheizzel » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:21 pm

Big eh? Maybe that would justify the price tag.

Post Reply